SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2019, 09:47 PM   #1
Hiisi
Hiisi is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Question What do you think of this stereo?

Has anyone tried this stereo?
My biggest concern is the power consumption. Won't it overload the car wiring? There's some notorious problem with our cars when people upgrade stereos

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hiisi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hiisi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hiisi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2019, 10:39 PM   #2
Chub
Chub will become famous soon enough

1995 SC2
Default Re: What do you think of this stereo?

Not sure about that one, but if you are ever concerned about the radio drawing too much power -- you should just run a separate dedicated power line straight off of the battery.

1995 SC2: Back on the road again after my second engine rebuild in two years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chub's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chub reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 11:44 PM   #3
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Pretty cheap Chinese aftermarket radio...

I'm HIGHLY skeptical about that 4x60w power rating... I'd say more like 60w max total output for a 4 channels combined maybe... MAYBE...

It MIGHT pull 5 amps max at full volume. For less than $50, you can't expect much. I've take apart some cheap units like this, and they have literally nothing but the screen on the front, a small circuit board on the back about the size of a credit card, and the rest is open space inside. There's literally NOTHING to them.

Don't waste your money on that cheap garbage...

But, to answer your question, I don't think the electrical system in the Saturn would have any issues powering it. But I'd keep a fire extinguisher in the passenger seat at all times, just in case the radio decided to spontaneously combust...

For what it's worth, I'm running a pretty cheap Android radio in my 98, gives pretty good sound to almost max volume.

98 SL2, 70k miles, kept in the family since new!

Her name is Uranus :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 98_Gold_Uranus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
98_Gold_Uranus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 01:38 AM   #4
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiisi View Post
Has anyone tried this stereo?
My biggest concern is the power consumption. Won't it overload the car wiring? There's some notorious problem with our cars when people upgrade stereos
'Top 10 Best Touch Screen Car Stereo Radios in 2019 Reviews'

https://topbestspec.com/best-touch-s...-stereo-radio/

https://www.topbest10reviews.com/top...tereo-reviews/

Although I would go for a Kenwood, TDYJWELL is listed on both those review websites - interesting.

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:14 AM   #5
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

Here is my review of one of those cheap Chinese radios, photos are in the post, link. If you don't want to read it, just know that these are bigger than standard double din units, the one I purchased (and most likely the one you are looking at) are a hair bigger than the name brands so they don't fit the Saturns at all. They sound okay for the money, but mine had a major static issue, and as someone who has tested these radios for customers, they generally have defects about 1/2 the time.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:07 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Only Sony makes a couple of receivers that'd be hard on the wiring, with a built in 40w x 4 RMS unit.

That unit's 60w x 4 rating is an optimistic max rating, not RMS. I'd be surprised if it actually use's 5 amps worth of power (rather than the fused 15amp), unless it's a highly inefficient power supply.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 08:19 AM   #7
Hiisi

1998 SL2

Okay, thank you all, guys! I think I should not waste money on that thing

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Hiisi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2019, 10:05 PM   #8
98_Gold_Uranus
98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough98_Gold_Uranus is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuli View Post
...just know that these are bigger than standard double din units, the one I purchased (and most likely the one you are looking at) are a hair bigger than the name brands so they don't fit the Saturns at all...
That's why you'll notice in the picture of mine that I don't have the trim ring for the double din install kit installed around the radio. The radio does fit, only just, but there's no way of installing the trim ring around it unless you do some major surgery to it...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 98_Gold_Uranus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #9
Hiisi

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98_Gold_Uranus View Post
That's why you'll notice in the picture of mine that I don't have the trim ring for the double din install kit installed around the radio. The radio does fit, only just, but there's no way of installing the trim ring around it unless you do some major surgery to it...
I'm still considering ordering one of those. Found it with delivery from China for $18 on eBay. I know the standard frame would never fit. That's not the problem at all. I imagine I could 3D-print one. After sanding&painting it would look pretty much "original".
I mostly want it because of the reverse camera and the screen itself. My ultimate dream is to install Raspberry Pi into the car. That would open a myriad of options. Like OBD information on the screen and possibility to install raspberry pi modules (thousands of them )

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2019, 11:17 AM   #10
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiisi View Post
I'm still considering ordering one of those. Found it with delivery from China for $18 on eBay. I know the standard frame would never fit. That's not the problem at all. I imagine I could 3D-print one. After sanding&painting it would look pretty much "original".
I mostly want it because of the reverse camera and the screen itself. My ultimate dream is to install Raspberry Pi into the car. That would open a myriad of options. Like OBD information on the screen and possibility to install raspberry pi modules (thousands of them )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLb3oXGx2cY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEqSAVHxk3Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Fn6Wxj5fY

This wasn't running a stock ECU btw. Was running megasquirt standalone. The dash is tunerstudio running on a TW700 (under $50 windows ) tablet with bluetooth. It was configured for automatic datalogging when I went beyond a certain throttle percentage so I could log my boost runs w/o having to remember to press another button.

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:38 PM   #11
Hiisi

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2Sick View Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLb3oXGx2cY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEqSAVHxk3Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Fn6Wxj5fY

This wasn't running a stock ECU btw. Was running megasquirt standalone. The dash is tunerstudio running on a TW700 (under $50 windows ) tablet with bluetooth. It was configured for automatic datalogging when I went beyond a certain throttle percentage so I could log my boost runs w/o having to remember to press another button.
I already have pi 4. Bought it for fun recently. So far been doing just stupid things with it (watching movies and browsing the web). It's definitely more powerful than any crappy processor in those android stereos. Now I plan to get a decent screen, hi-fi module and FM-radio for it and a few cameras. I would like to have a reverse cam, another one in the right mirror and a few more for dashcam recording. And maybe a simple OBD-wire to read check-engine codes from it if any
I'm a grand-pa style driver, so I'm not interested at all in any performance-related data.
Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2019, 01:49 PM   #12
jpsuli
jpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the roughjpsuli is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL2

If you are willing to wait and have a second-gen, I will be designing a double din mount for the dashboard rather than the original radio spot so that you won't need to look down for the radio.

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 140k

r/Saturn_Cars moderator

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 02:06 PM   #13
Hiisi

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsuli View Post
If you are willing to wait and have a second-gen, I will be designing a double din mount for the dashboard rather than the original radio spot so that you won't need to look down for the radio.
Sounds cool, thanks! I'm definitely not in a hurry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2019, 08:47 PM   #14
98_Gold_Uranus

1998 SL2

I considered a Pi based CarPC at one time, but in the end I used my Pi3B for Octopri and my 3D printer and settled on an Android radio for my wants in both my Saturn and my Blazer. I have a little bit better unit in my Blazer, a Pumkin brand unit, that is a LOT faster and runs so much smoother compared to the no-name one in the Saturn...

I had to shave the corners of the bezel around it to fit it as well...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2019, 11:52 AM   #15
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

I was actually looking at the pumpkin single DIN but was convinced it would be pure Chinesium. Is it actually decent in your experience? I prefer single DIN because I buy a double DIN mount but use the lower half for gauges

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 07:09 PM   #16
98_Gold_Uranus

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2Sick View Post
I was actually looking at the pumpkin single DIN but was convinced it would be pure Chinesium. Is it actually decent in your experience?
As far as this double din Android powered radio goes, yes it is pretty good, in my opinion.

It's not Pioneer quality or anything, but it's a far cry from the cheap China made no-name units.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!