SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2019, 11:18 AM   #1
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL
Default This might be the end- need some advice

1997 SL, 197,000 miles, 5-speed

Just did a head gasket/timing chain/water pump/etc repair this spring.

After only 300 miles, the coolant is yucky yellow oily foam AGAIN. 10 psi pressure in cooling system leaked down to 2 psi overnight.

Oil level dropped 1/2 qt. in 300 miles. Yup, it's in the coolant AGAIN.

Spark plugs are clean.

SO: what now.

Sell as-is? What is it worth as-is? The southern rust-free body might be useful up north. Lots of good parts.
Pull head again? What could the problem be, if not leaking head gasket? I thought I fixed it last time. I can't bear doing this again and failing.
Do the blocks on these cars crack? I have never overheated it (in its 22 years).

Thank you

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #2
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: This might be the end- need some advice

I dunno.

You could wait for the 16th of July - and the full moon - and sacrifice a goat......

Sometimes ya just gotta....

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Blocks do not crack. The symptom of oil in the water is a symptom of a cracked head or a head gasket leak into the water at the right rear corner. If it is a gasket then you will also see oil on the mounting bracket above the alternator. If you have power steering it is a bit difficult to see the bracket and the leak point will be right in that right rear corner area. Tok there first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 03:39 PM   #4
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

I think highmiler reported a year ago that FelPro had divided their head gasket line into 'OEM' and 'replacement' ... and that the latter were less good.

I dunno if they sell the OEM line to aftermarketers, but i've noticed that the prices vary substantially.

I've installed probably a dozen or two head gaskets (none Saturn yet),
and noticed that in the later stages of torquing, that one or two screws were much looser (all-ready compressed) than the rest (requiring much less turning). So, I began to Wait, minimum of a couple hours after later stages, and oft overnight (even a week) before final turn.

Most of my head-gasket-torquing involved diesel rabbit, which had chronic issues concerning:
(1) compression leaks out from cylinders
(2) oil leaks, from block galleries to head galleries -- at the point where the vertical riser crosses the block/head boundary (presumably sealed by head gasket) , which had a ribbed elastomer seal incorporated into the head gasket.

Both the head/block mating surfaces need be flat, or slightly cupped - maybe have MACHINIST check. I used a 'straight edge' for 15 years, which , it turned out, was slightly cupped itself!

I think i read on a hotrod Honda forum a couple years ago, that They use a Honda OEM sealant on the sealer for the oil between head/block (at the ribbed rubber insert.

If sealant matters, cleanliness will matter (like acetone/carbon-tet scrub)
Also note that quality 'speed shops'/rebuilders will Mill both mating surfaces, like just a smidge (like .001/.002") SPECIFICALLY to make the surfaces Real Clean, to promote good gasked adhesive bonding...

A couple years ago i picked up a (Satty) head from a rebuilder....
It AMAZED me how delicately he removed less than .002" , just cleaning....

If the car's body is really sound, you really ought to get your moneys worth out of the ride (and 200kMI is not there yet!)

>> On the other hand, if you lost the taste for it, do something else.
Maybe a running junkyard engine with 150kMi from car-part would allow needed SPACE / time, etc.

Last edited by TomM96; 06-25-2019 at 03:43 PM.. Reason: fergat un

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2019, 06:30 PM   #5
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Unless I'm missing something, did you replace the cylinder head when you did all that work the first time? Cylinder heads are a known failure here and there on the sohc engine. When you put a new head on any of the sohc engines you had better be replacing the camshaft as well, if you don't, you will find out why a little ways down the road.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 03:53 PM   #6
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

I didn't replace the head- the machinist checked for cracks and pressure tested. Also he said it was flat.

I cleaned the block and head with acetone. Scrubbed the head with a Scotch Brite pad. Cleaned with acetone.

What is the "bring a trailer" value for this car? 1997 SL.

I'd be happy driving this thing for 10 more years. But I don't want to fix it again and have it fail

On the other hand, another head gasket fix would be cheaper than the first (no timing set or water pump or T stat etc. needed). Nor valve job.

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Your head is probably good, check for oil in the place I indicated in my post above. Your problem is not that uncommon either and usually fixable without taking the head off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-27-2019, 11:49 AM   #8
MikeNW
Master Member

1997 SL

Hmmm if the gasket is leaking (oil into water), how can you fix it without taking off the head? I will check the "back" of the engine as you say.

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2019, 01:44 PM   #9
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The oil gallery to the head and the water passage are very close in that corner. That is usually where the oil finds the water if the cam journal is not cracked..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!