SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2016, 08:34 AM   #41
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2
Default Re: '00 SL1 LS4 V8 Sleeper Project

I went ahead and shared the link, to your youtube video, on my FB account for my "gear head" friends. They like to think only foreign econoboxes are competitive. I can't wait to see their jaws drop, at this. That engine sounded beautiful.

Now, I won't be doing this to my lil' '95 SC2, anytime soon. However, you have definitely inspired me much further on the premise of why these little cars are totally badass

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-2016, 10:00 PM   #42
brokendown
brokendown has a spectacular aura aboutbrokendown has a spectacular aura aboutbrokendown has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL

So you plan a future revision? I'd love to know how easy to replicate (relatively speaking) this would be for others... I dont yet fully understand your description of what was modded but at some future point when i'm out of the financial hole I want to learn about fabbing metal and such.

A project like this would be awesome. Already having thoughts of this in one of those SL3's discussed elsewhere with the SC hood apparently on the SL body to be doubly different...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brokendown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brokendown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brokendown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 11:27 AM   #43
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2

Is it a world record, to drive a car that has only 1lb/HP? LMAO!

Because one Corvette owner already has an LS-powered mammoth under his hood, pushing 2,400HP with twin turbo.

Maybe that should be your next project?

"More HP than Lbs"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-30-2016, 02:41 PM   #44
Sean R
Sean R is a jewel in the roughSean R is a jewel in the roughSean R is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokendown View Post
So you plan a future revision? I'd love to know how easy to replicate (relatively speaking) this would be for others... I dont yet fully understand your description of what was modded but at some future point when i'm out of the financial hole I want to learn about fabbing metal and such.

A project like this would be awesome. Already having thoughts of this in one of those SL3's discussed elsewhere with the SC hood apparently on the SL body to be doubly different...
Eventually I want to start with a custom subframe using grand prix suspension and hubs for strength. Also there's an idea of turbo v8 awd floating in my head.

This project would be a real pain for most people. Lots of custom parts, some of them pretty expensive. Now with that being said, I'd probably entertain the idea of making and selling the parts that I spent hours developing.

Last edited by Sean R; 08-30-2016 at 02:48 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sean R's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sean R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sean R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 10:04 PM   #45
Sean R
Sean R is a jewel in the roughSean R is a jewel in the roughSean R is a jewel in the rough

Update:

Pretty much everything is functional. All gauges work, car drives. Not pretty but it works.

Here's a video of it moving in the driveway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnd4KQzTLec

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sean R reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2016, 09:16 PM   #46
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

As you post your links to the videos, I will continue to share them. Maybe we can make this go viral.

You may have to retain the stock strut cartridge mounting plates, to utilize the W-Body aluminum spindles and A-frames. The subframe will likely require some serious machining, due to over all length.

You can get spindles from Impala, Monte Carlo, or a Century as well. I believe it will have to be a 2000-up for those, and 1997-2003 Grand Prix. I am not sure of the W-body above 2005 will work, because I have never looked at them closely.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2016, 10:43 PM   #47
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

I showed this to my mom who knows a bit about cars, and her response was " i can think of alot of things that id put a V8 in, and it wouldnt be a saturn!" And she also asked who would so that, to which i told her someone with cash dedication, and a few screws loose in the head. I admire this project! Impressed you got it running!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 06:54 PM   #48
ultravioletnk
ultravioletnk is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: '00 SL1 LS4 V8 Sleeper Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean R View Post
Update:

Pretty much everything is functional. All gauges work, car drives. Not pretty but it works.

Here's a video of it moving in the driveway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnd4KQzTLec
ohhhh my that is lovely! i've never seen a transversely mounted v8 swap in a saturn before, and it's just beautiful! i've seen a few hack-n-weld jobs to drop a rwd drivetrain in, but never something so elegant as a transverse/fwd v8 swap! and using a crapalier transmission, no less... what kind of torque can that thing hold? sounds to me like it'd be the weak link. have you posted this project on sixthsphere? i bet you'll get plenty of positive response there, the community is a lot more performance-oriented.

rings - 1996 sl2 - purple and gold ~215kmi
janus - 2000 sohc2 - very sunburned red and purple ~170kmi
phoebe - 1995 sl1 - silver and teal ~240kmi
FOR SALE - 2002 sl1, sky blue 124kmi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ultravioletnk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ultravioletnk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ultravioletnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 04:34 PM   #49
ultravioletnk

1996 SL2
2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravioletnk View Post
and using a crapalier transmission, no less... what kind of torque can that thing hold? sounds to me like it'd be the weak link. have you posted this project on sixthsphere? i bet you'll get plenty of positive response there, the community is a lot more performance-oriented.
answered my own questions. the 6s thread is here.

according to wikipedia, that transmission can handle "over 170 lb-ft". the ls4 is spec'd at 323 lb-ft. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. well hopefully your welded and tempered fuses will break first

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ultravioletnk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-22-2016, 01:48 AM   #50
Sean R

Well, I've had it on the road for about 90 miles. Broke an axle first day with Fuzion 205/60/15's mounted up. Got it on tape too! Back to the lab again

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #51
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Since you are considering the W-Body suspension, what about using the the newer Impala SS components? They had an LS engine in them, but I can't recall if they are RWD like the Pontiac GTOs were, from '09.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2016, 01:27 AM   #52
Sean R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
Since you are considering the W-Body suspension, what about using the the newer Impala SS components? They had an LS engine in them, but I can't recall if they are RWD like the Pontiac GTOs were, from '09.
Front wheel drive. I'll look into it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-11-2016, 12:22 PM   #53
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Just keep us posted, this project is amazing! I have been showing those videos to some mechanic friends around town. I don't know if I will ever embark on a similar quest, but it is quite inspiring to see that your innovation is working.

The look on some gear head's face, when a Saturn SL SEDAN smokes them in a 1/4 mile......PRICELESS!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-18-2016, 03:35 PM   #54
Sean R

Here's another video. This was meant to be a "1320video" style video but I broke the car too soon. I was doing a practice pull before shooting the video and broke an axle. This one was much stronger and violent when she let go. I was at 6 grand in 2nd and just let out the clutch getting back into it in 3rd. Snap, bang, bounced off rev limiter, coasted to try to find a good place to park to get towed back home.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqYEegKYfZE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-18-2016, 04:02 PM   #55
ultravioletnk

1996 SL2
2000 SC2

Quote:
Here's another video. This was meant to be a "1320video" style video but I broke the car too soon. I was doing a practice pull before shooting the video and broke an axle. This one was much stronger and violent when she let go. I was at 6 grand in 2nd and just let out the clutch getting back into it in 3rd. Snap, bang, bounced off rev limiter, coasted to try to find a good place to park to get towed back home.

agh and no video of the cv breaking, i see... that would have been an interesting one. what are you planning on for stronger cvs? whatever you go with, good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2016, 02:00 AM   #56
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:

You want 5-speed, then you will need to get a transmission from an older W-Body(The Cavalier Chevy bolt pattern is identical). This will allow you to use the axle shafts from a W-Body, which are thicker.

Late 1980s-1994 Chevy Lumina Base/Eurosport/Z34
1980s-1996 Pontiac Grand Prix Turbo GTP(3.4 DOHC GTP package 5-speeds may work as well)
And the 1980s-1996 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supremes all came with a 5-speed manual transmission option. The option was not very popular, and GM eventually dropped the option right around the W-Body changes in 1996, from the product line. Most of 1995-up W-Body vehicles came with the 4-speed auto slush boxes.
Heck, even a 1985-1988 Pontiac Fiero 2.8L 5-speed or a 1988-1994 Cavalier Z24(2.8L-3.1L) 5-speed may also get you where you need to be.

They are very difficult to find, BUT, this would definitely allow you utilize the larger spindles, hub bearings, amd axle shafts you need for harnessing the torque of this engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2016, 02:12 AM   #57
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Worst case scenario, you would have to go with a 4-speed auto, then I recommend the 1996 3800 Series-II Supercharged Transmission. Those things could harness the power of your engine. It was the ONLY YEAR that GM made a "heavy duty" automatic 4T65-E(electronically controlled) transmission.

1997-2003 Grand Prix units had the 4T65-E and are prone to failure at about the 140,000-180,000 mile mark. This was one of the reasons that many law enforcement agencies stopped buying the 00-up Impala Police Package units, and went with Dodge Charger and Ford Taurus models(which is ironic considering the recalls Ford has had with their AX4N Taurus auto O/D units, and don't even get me started on Chrysler automatic transmissions.......)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #58
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Night View Post
You want 5-speed, then you will need to get a transmission from an older W-Body(The Cavalier Chevy bolt pattern is identical).
Cavi's are J-Body and the more common Izuzu 5spd is crap even with the stock 2.2L (will require a Getrag or Muncie with that much power/torque). Always saw that a 5spd Cavi was an option...my '94 is the _only_ one I've ever actually seen. Already upgrade the cluster from the base to one with a tach and oil pressure gauge, both of which are awesome. Just wish it'd quite running at 3/4 on the gauge (same spot both clusters, it's not the gauge...) while driving but where it belongs at 1/2 or just under at idle

Last edited by fetchitfido; 10-19-2016 at 10:02 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:22 PM   #59
Sean R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultravioletnk View Post
agh and no video of the cv breaking, i see... that would have been an interesting one. what are you planning on for stronger cvs? whatever you go with, good luck!
I'm thinking resleeve the axle that broke and make the weld stronger and plug weld or pin the sleeve to the axle. I need to get a video up of this thing actually driving so you guys can see it.

Over winter, I'm thinking a revision should happen with a new subframe and W-body suspension parts. I might try to do a series of videos documenting the process of engineering a new front end.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-19-2016, 01:39 PM   #60
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
Cavi's are J-Body and the more common Izuzu 5spd is crap even with the stock 2.2L (will require a Getrag or Muncie with that much power/torque). Always saw that a 5spd Cavi was an option...my '94 is the _only_ one I've ever actually seen. Already upgrade the cluster from the base to one with a tach and oil pressure gauge, both of which are awesome. Just wish it'd quite running at 3/4 on the gauge (same spot both clusters, it's not the gauge...) while driving but where it belongs at 1/2 or just under at idle
The W-Body uses the same bolt pattern as a J-Body. The transmissions are different and do not typically interchange without some fabrication, specifically because the suspension components are different.

He is breaking axle shafts. Too much torque is being applied and thicker axles are needed.

The first gen Luminas, Grand Prixs, and Cutlass Supreme(Last Gen) had thicker axles than the J-body did, and did have a 5-speed transmission option available. In terms of suspension, the spindle/hub assembly is the same on MT as they are for AT models. The brakes and struts are the same. Only difference between AT and MT on those older W-Body cars were the axle shafts, which he may have to use with the transmission, and then get a spline count so he can get the correct hub bearing/spindle assembly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!