SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2013, 12:17 PM   #1
wb 86
wb 86 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL
Default Quill bearing seal leak?

1999 Saturn SL SOHC 5sp.

So a few hours after I buttoned up an axle seal replacement job, my SL is still dripping ATF. Prior to even ordering the seals I inspected the diff pin through the VSS hole and it was seated in its home. So I believe we can rule out pin failure as the pin and tranny case are fine. I then looked over the axle seals and seeing as there was a trail of fluid run from a beat up looking passenger side seal I went on to replace both since I was under there. After driving it around a bit I noticed the car was still dripping ATF and since I had cleaned the repair area thoroughly I was able to trace the leak easily with the new fluid dripping out.

The best description I can give without pictures is a semi-steady drip from the lowest bolt on the inspection cover. After searching and reading on this forum I am leaning towards the quill bearing seal as the culprit. As I said earlier the diff pin and tranny case are fine with no damage. I understand that the failure of this seal is rare, but I can think of no other source of this leak. Apparently this is a dealer part for the 5spd tranny, and since time is not on my side I am thinking (Lord help me...) of having the nearest dealer, 22 miles away perform this procedure. Also I understand that a certain tool is required for the seal to be pressed in and as much as I love my local mechanic, long time family friend, I believe this is out of his range as well as that of the other yocal mechs.

I appreciate any insight to this matter and look forward to hearing anything on the issue be it positive or negative.

Thanks
Craig

1999 SL
1995 Ford F250 PSD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wb 86's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wb 86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wb 86 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Quill bearing seal leak?

Search for transmission hunt4steve in the big box above and you will see what is involved in replacing that seal. They do fail. The dealer will charge you to remove the power train, disassemble the trans, replace seal , reassemble trans and reinstall power train. You can not afford this. The trans can be pulled through the wheel well and then disassembled to allow pulling the input and out put shafts and gears as a unit. Careful wood blocking and selectively ground pipe collars and this is a DIY job. Your mechanic can do it as long as he knows how it is done. That fluid is also running on the clutch so replace it as well while doing this. The other option is to find a 2000+ transmission, replace the seals you just replaced and instal new box and clutch.

Look for 5 speed. http://car-part.com/index.htm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 02:12 PM   #3
wb 86

1999 SL

Thanks for the response. Moments after I posted the dealer option I kicked myself for even thinking it. Even removing the tranny myself and taking it to them would be expensive. I had read that thread as well and had considered that route. After shooting the breeze with my mechanic an hour ago, I had this thought. I had forgotten (don't ask how...) that a few months ago he and I had salvaged a 1st gen SL1 with a broken timing chain and a 5 spd tranny. (I have a VA Class B and help with roll back duty from time to time). We are thinking that if the tranny in the junk yard SL1 checks out ie; diff pin, etc. we will swap them for the time being and worry about my original tranny when my work schedule lightens up over the university semester winter break. Time is the hardest commodity for me to obtain and this project came about as soon as summer break ended, my one job revolves around a college schedule. This is the least cost consuming solution on short notice, granted if everything checks out. We can bang out a swap in no time and little money will change hands.

I believe I can solve the issue in my tranny in the long run and for the short term use a JY tranny. I have access to 2 other daily drivers so getting around daily isn't an issue, but my SL is the cleanest and most well maintained in the paddock. Don't ask about the PSD...

Thanks
Craig

1999 SL
1995 Ford F250 PSD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wb 86 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Take a look at this chart. http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...gearratio.html There is a glaring error, the 5th gear ratio for the MP-2 changed to 0.605 in 95 so when you install the 93 MP-2 you will have a slightly different 5th ratio and mileage may drop or not depending but the cruise will not like it if you have it. Other than that that swap is the way to go, replace clutch as well.

The trans disassembly-reassembly is not hard, just messy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #5
wb 86

1999 SL

Yes I was aware of the possible change in ratios/mileage and my SL does not have cruise so I feel a swap is the best immediate solution. A clutch kit is on stand-by as there is one on the parts room shelf in the shop from a previous job where a customer ended selling the car. Then I can address my tranny in my garage on my time and still have my SL mobile.

Thank you for your help, a second look at the matter helped clear any hesitations or bad ideas I had (a trip to the dealer, what was I thinking?).

Thanks
Craig

1999 SL
1995 Ford F250 PSD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!