SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-19-2012, 07:21 PM   #61
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2
Default Re: The fix-up of my $400 '93 Saturn SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunt4steve View Post
Do you have any pics of what YOU did on yours, as opposed to others did with welding.....?
Alas, I wish I did take a picture of it. It is pretty easy to describe however. If you get your differential out, you'll notice that there is a roll pin on one end. There's a drilled hole in the carrier between two of the "teeth" of the reluctor gear on it that presumably is for the vehicle speed sensor. You will be able to see the end of the roll pin in that valley between the two teeth.

Imagine drilling a hole through the carrier between two teeth and the diff pin on the opposite end and using a beefier, double-roll pin on that end, so the other end of the diff pin is a mirror image of the end that already has the roll pin in it. Hard to explain, but if you look at the differential, it will become obvious.

Saturns:
1993 SW2 MT 204,000 hard Boston city miles ("Rozzie")
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:
1966 Corvair Monza convertible
1928 Ford Model A Tudor Sedan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cityhawk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cityhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-2012, 12:08 AM   #62
cityhawk
Master Member
cityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to beholdcityhawk is a splendid one to behold

1993 SW2

The whole story can be found in the following links if you're interested:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181649
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=181799
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=182513
(the above contains links to two other threads in the first post)
and
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184901

Some of my problems you won't have since you've taken the engine and trans out together and won't have the logistical issues I did. But for what it's worth, there it all is.

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cityhawk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-20-2012, 10:06 AM   #63
hunt4steve
hunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nice

1993 SC1

To all that have chimed in, I want to express my sincere gratitude for your tips on keeping the Saturn alive and in good physical condition. This last tip on upgrading the differential, during this time of tear down is a real bonus to me. Being that the tranny is on the floor, this is the perfect time to dig into this and fix it proper so I don't experience a potential failure in the future......

My sincere thanks for your tips.......

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hunt4steve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hunt4steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hunt4steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #64
Tom22ndState
Tom22ndState is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1

Quote:
To all that have chimed in, I want to express my sincere gratitude for your tips on keeping the Saturn alive and in good physical condition. This last tip on upgrading the differential, during this time of tear down is a real bonus to me. Being that the tranny is on the floor, this is the perfect time to dig into this and fix it proper so I don't experience a potential failure in the future......

My sincere thanks for your tips.......
Please H4S,

Thank you for all the documentation. This thread is quite the tutorial. For me this is very helpful as we will be pulling a 98 SOHC engine for rebuild next week. I have been planning on posting a thread and you're paving the way. Thanks again and Merry Christmas congrats on your "new" car.

98 SL1 5 spd man with 283k - from clunker to lil green creeper with a weekends work- yeah right. From clunker to 2 year storage bin. Update soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom22ndState's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom22ndState reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom22ndState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:53 PM   #65
hunt4steve
hunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nicehunt4steve is just really nice

1993 SC1
Happy drilling the pistons

Got some more work done today.

Got out the Angle grinder and screwed on a wire brush. This makes quick work of removing any rust....

Cleaning the carbon building up from the pistons has been quite the chore.

Measuring out the positions on the piston where the holes will be drilled into the piston

There is a great Youtube video on how to do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqJMzM1LLhI

Unfortunately I don't have a drill press, so I did the best I could using my bench vise and some blocks of wood to hold the piston. I used a 3/32 drill bit (per the video) to drill the holes....worked quite well..

don't forget to clean the inside of the piston of any metal shavings after drilling the piston....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hunt4steve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #66
hunt4steve

1993 SC1
Happy more pics

Got a few more pics

I placed the piston into a couple of blocks of to hold it still, and then drilled the pistons......Seemed to work pretty well....

Crankshaft bearings

After looking at these "bearings", I've come to the conclusion that good quality oil should always be used. These bearings, which really look like sleeves to me, take a considerable amount of pressure when keeping the crank in place. Having good quality oil will ensure that these bearings last long, and provide a nice slick surface for the crank and rods....

Got the Piston rings in place without snapping any of them...

Got some nice Slick Engine Assembly lube to help with the 1st engine start up.....All the pistons are done and waiting to be pushed back into the cylinders....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-25-2012, 10:58 AM   #67
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Excellent work and pictures!

I really need to do that one of these days...

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #68
hunt4steve

1993 SC1
Default a little more work

Got a little more work done today.

I was able to get the pistons into the cylinders without snapping any rings.....that's always a nice conclusion...

I put a considerable more amount of lube on each set of rings and pistons so that upon initial startup, nothing will get to scared....

I'll be pulling the old Oil Pump gears out, and replace them. as well, I have a newer oilpump plate coming in....one with a hole in it to spray the chain...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-28-2012, 08:58 PM   #69
hunt4steve

1993 SC1
Dizzy Any assistance from the Saturn Gurus???

Today I took apart the Throttle-Body and rebuilt it using a kit that replaces all of the o-rings and gaskets. I cleaned it up real nice and purty too.....

AND, here is where I messed up and need some help. Can any of you super-Saturn-gurus out there assist me with this issue....?? The Chilton manual doesn't say "which-way" the hole in the Valve-lifters is supposed to face.....

As you can see from this picture, each Valve-Lifter has a hole on one side of the lifter. The lifters are fed oil by a very small oil-port that comes in at the 5 o'clock position (with the timing chain at the 6 o'clock position, and the tranny at the 12 o'clock position)

Unfortunately, I failed to get a picture of how these lifters are supposed to go back into the head.....

Is the hole supposed to face the Timing Chain or away from it?

Other side of the lifter

Can anybody provide guidance on this????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #70
hunt4steve

1993 SC1
Default Rear deck

On another note, I cleaned up the rear deck to make it a little more presentable.

This is the sun-damaged rear deck. Apparently it's been sitting in the sun for quite a while.....

I got some fabric spray that is supposed work well on fabrics. I sprayed it black, then I sprayed the top with spray on sticky stuff.....

Next I visited Walmart and picked up some fabric that would look ok in the back deck, and stuck it to the spray on sticky stuff.....seems to be working ok so far....

back in place before the window goes back in....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-28-2012, 11:48 PM   #71
hunt4steve

1993 SC1
Default Valve Lifter guidance

It looks like I "may" have found the answer. According to this video, the hole in the valve should be facing the oil-port in the head. If anybody thinks this is not correct, please post up......

http://youtu.be/lorANZ1Tptw

Quote:
AND, here is where I messed up and need some help. Can any of you super-Saturn-gurus out there assist me with this issue....?? The Chilton manual doesn't say "which-way" the hole in the Valve-lifters is supposed to face.....
As you can see from this picture, each Valve-Lifter has a hole on one side of the lifter. The lifters are fed oil by a very small oil-port that comes in at the 5 o'clock position (with the timing chain at the 6 o'clock position, and the tranny at the 12 o'clock position)

Unfortunately, I failed to get a picture of how these lifters are supposed to go back into the head.....

Is the hole supposed to face the Timing Chain or away from it?

Other side of the lifter

Can anybody provide guidance on this????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-29-2012, 09:23 PM   #72
Yerboogieman
Yerboogieman is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1993 SC2

Nice build. Looks like a 900,000 mile economical engine from here. But there is one thing I don't understand. Why did you cut the rear deck to fit 6x9's?

I've always built wooden baffles to fit some round speakers for any cars that had the 6x9 openings. Something about an oval speaker just doesn't sit right with me I guess.

93 SC2 M/T 224k Power Everything! :D
94 SL2 A/T 274k Sold to scrap
99 SC1 M/T 162k
97 SC2 M/T 102k
97 SL1 M/T 188k Sold Bad Valve
Aluminum valve covers all around
NGK plugs for all

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Yerboogieman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Yerboogieman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Yerboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:31 PM   #73
hunt4steve

1993 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yerboogieman View Post
Nice build. Looks like a 900,000 mile economical engine from here. But there is one thing I don't understand. Why did you cut the rear deck to fit 6x9's? .........
These speakers have been sitting on my shelf for over 2 years. Now that i have an opportunity to use them, i'm making the best of what i have available to me on my limited budget......

Thanks for your feedback.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-31-2012, 10:26 AM   #74
SabercatPuck
SabercatPuck is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

I did see one thing that was conspicuously absent in your pictures. I didn't see any rubber tubes on the rod studs to keep them from scratching up the crank shaft.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SabercatPuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SabercatPuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SabercatPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 01:57 PM   #75
hunt4steve

1993 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabercatPuck View Post
I did see one thing that was conspicuously absent in your pictures. I didn't see any rubber tubes on the rod studs to keep them from scratching up the crank shaft.
Excellent observation. Indeed, per any manual, there should be some rubber tubing on the studs. Since i didn't have any to spare, i was "extra" careful when seating the rod bearings on the crank. It was a millameter by millameter move as the crank was turned into the rod bearing.

When seating the pistons back into the cylinders, it was important to ensure the crank bearing for that piston was at it lowest positon. That way the rod studs would not contact the crank as the piston was being seated into the cylinder.

Thanks for the feedback.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-01-2013, 01:16 AM   #76
hunt4steve

1993 SC1
Happy Few more pics

Got the rear speakers put in.

I was really surprised at the amount of rust, despite being on the inside of the car......

The famous shifter bushing that often fails....

Getting a little closer each day

New Shifter cables put in place....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 AM   #77
cityhawk
Master Member

1993 SW2

Great job with the pictoral documentation!

Saturns:
Gone but not forgotten:
2001 LW300 ("Elle")
1999 SW2 MT
Project cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #78
hunt4steve

1993 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityhawk View Post
Great job with the pictoral documentation!

Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-02-2013, 10:59 AM   #79
SabercatPuck
SabercatPuck is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

And thank you for using Priority Mail from the USPS :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SabercatPuck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SabercatPuck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SabercatPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:25 AM   #80
hunt4steve

1993 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabercatPuck View Post
And thank you for using Priority Mail from the USPS :-)
Yes, I did use it quite a bit, but.....uh...maybe you can expound on this a little more....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!