SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
cbery92
cbery92 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Radio Issues on 2007 Saturn Aura XR

I just recently purchased a 2007 Saturn Aura XR, with about 40,000 miles on it. And I am having issues with the radio, it just started acting up. Like the screen was going blank, but it was still working, right when I started it up, but then as I drive it would go back to normal. Now less then a week later, I started it up and only the time is showing and none of the functions are working at all. Someone help me! I'm worried I am in for a whole big, mess of a problem!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cbery92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cbery92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cbery92 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

Default Re: Radio Issues on 2007 Saturn Aura XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbery92 View Post
I just recently purchased a 2007 Saturn Aura XR, with about 40,000 miles on it. And I am having issues with the radio, it just started acting up. Like the screen was going blank, but it was still working, right when I started it up, but then as I drive it would go back to normal. Now less then a week later, I started it up and only the time is showing and none of the functions are working at all. Someone help me! I'm worried I am in for a whole big, mess of a problem!
Under warranty? Purchase it from a dealer? If so, depending on your state, it may be covered under warranty.

If not, sounds like you need a new unit. They can be easily found on eBay for cheap. Very easy to remove/install the new unit. And it costs about $100 to have it programed at a Authorized GM Dealer.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 01:23 PM   #3
svenster
svenster is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Mine has been doing the same thing. I found that if you press the power button off and then back on it clears it up for a week or so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to svenster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help svenster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
svenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 02:45 PM   #4
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbery92 View Post
You aren't the first to see this issue. There is no repair option that I'm aware of. Either get a new one (if you can even find one) or go with an aftermarket unit. I'd be afraid a used one would develop the same issue but it's your choice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to greenman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
greenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
golftango
golftango will become famous soon enough

OP, PM me, I have one that is almost brand new that I can ship you for cheap.

2017 Sport SE 6MT in San Marino Red
2012 Pilot EX-L w/ NAV (family truckster)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/golftango
https://500px.com/golftango
https://www.instagram.com/golftango

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 10:46 AM   #6
BLH RS4TC 4040
BLH RS4TC 4040 is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

~Resurrecting an old thread here, but still relevant~

My 2008 Aura also has been experiencing this problem. It only started doing it about six months ago, and has only "blanked out" maybe three or four times, the last being a couple of days ago. Every time it happens, the radio still works, as do the steering wheel controls. It's the display that blanks out, or more commonly, some of the buttons stop working, necessitating the use of the steering wheel controls. It sounds like, according to the posts above, that the only repair is to completely replace the unit.

Is there anything I should look for in a replacement unit? I know in the past, if the factory AM/FM would go, you just go up to your local car audio shop and find a replacement Pioneer, Jensen, Kraco, etc. that fits in the hole and matches up to the OEM harness. Nowadays, so much of the car's electronics go through the radio itself that I'm not even sure you CAN purchase an aftermarket for it? If I get an OEM radio, I'm assuming the theftlock system is still part of the radio- is there anything else I should worry about, or are they pretty much basic on Auras?

On a secondary note, the driver's information center on the dashboard has a tendency to go HALF-blank. Never completely, just the right side. It's done that twice now, but always comes back fully the next time I get in the car. That wouldn't be related to the radio display blanking out would it? They're two separate fuses and systems completely. Am I just having bad luck with electronics?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BLH RS4TC 4040's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BLH RS4TC 4040 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BLH RS4TC 4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:21 PM   #7
dnthrtme1
dnthrtme1 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
2000 SL2

For your second problem they arent related issues, you probably have an issue with the lcd panel which reads out the DIC information, in which case that would have to be replaced; not sure if its part of the instrument cluster, I doubt it! As for the radio, I replaced my perfectly working OEM radio with an aftermarket touchscreen kenwood navigation. You will require a module for your dinger and a module for your steering wheel controls, not very hard at all though, i've done it a few times before. If youre interested I can sell you my OEM radio!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dnthrtme1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dnthrtme1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dnthrtme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:09 PM   #8
greenman
greenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the roughgreenman is a jewel in the rough

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLH RS4TC 4040 View Post

...My 2008 Aura also has been experiencing this problem. It only started doing it about six months ago, and has only "blanked out" maybe three or four times, the last being a couple of days ago. Every time it happens, the radio still works, as do the steering wheel controls. It's the display that blanks out, or more commonly, some of the buttons stop working, necessitating the use of the steering wheel controls. It sounds like, according to the posts above, that the only repair is to completely replace the unit.

Is there anything I should look for in a replacement unit? I know in the past, if the factory AM/FM would go, you just go up to your local car audio shop and find a replacement Pioneer, Jensen, Kraco, etc. that fits in the hole and matches up to the OEM harness. Nowadays, so much of the car's electronics go through the radio itself that I'm not even sure you CAN purchase an aftermarket for it? If I get an OEM radio, I'm assuming the theftlock system is still part of the radio- is there anything else I should worry about, or are they pretty much basic on Auras?...
i would get an aftermarket unit to have all the new features they had yet to dream up when the oem units were designed 9 years ago or so. also, an aftermarket unit does not require vin-flashing. member Low Saturn has a nice head unit replacement how-to:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163578

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help greenman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #9
greenman

2009 AURA XE

Quote:

On a secondary note, the driver's information center on the dashboard has a tendency to go HALF-blank. Never completely, just the right side. It's done that twice now, but always comes back fully the next time I get in the car. That wouldn't be related to the radio display blanking out would it? They're two separate fuses and systems completely. Am I just having bad luck with electronics?
i'm pretty sure that means the cluster is on it's way out. aura clusters are vin-locked & must be purchased refurbished from one of GM's cluster vendors. used clusters found on ebay will not work. there are a couple threads in this forum on that subject.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2015, 03:46 AM   #10
BaristAura
BaristAura is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XR
2008 AURA XE

Quote:
My 2008 Aura also has been experiencing this problem. It only started doing it about six months ago, and has only "blanked out" maybe three or four times, the last being a couple of days ago. Every time it happens, the radio still works, as do the steering wheel controls. It's the display that blanks out, or more commonly, some of the buttons stop working, necessitating the use of the steering wheel controls. It sounds like, according to the posts above, that the only repair is to completely replace the unit.
If it's only a display issue for your radio as it seems to be, another option is to just replace the front faceplate from another radio. I think I've seen used ones go for around $40 on ebay. The point of this is avoiding the VIN programming cost from the dealer. I've done this before putting a faceplate from a 6 cd changer radio to the base model radio and it worked fine. I think it took me about 20 minutes to swap face plates. Here is a thread where I took a picture of the front of the radio w/o faceplate. You can see on the bottom of the radio where it plugs in.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=blank+display

If you plan to have the car for awhile, aftermarket radio is the way to go in my opinion. I currently mirror my note 4 screen to my appradio 2 and couldn't be happier.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BaristAura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BaristAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BaristAura is offline   Reply With Quote