SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
MetalMatty
MetalMatty is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Default Just replaced ECTS/T-Stat... one issue!

Finally got around to doing the ECTS (which was, of course, cracked) and the T-Stat.

Drained about half the coolant out for the T-Stat.

The ECTS was a great fit (Obviously), though we did tighten quite a bit. Not TOO much but we made it snug (more than richpin though).

The T-stat (though it's Saturn-ness confused my friend) was a simple out and in.

Reused the old (but good) coolant, after running it through a strainer of sorts. Spilled some because we're dumb, but had some extra to cover it.

Now for the odd part... we filled at least as much as we took out, though now my Low Coolant Light comes on. My idle is normal again, it starts better, and the temp gauge goes to just under half way, but the low coolant light is on. I keep filling the reservoir and hopefully won't need to again. Car is gonna sit tonight so I can see if there's any leaks (didn't see any when we let it run for 10 minutes earlier).

Here's a photo of the important gauges that deal with this:

As you can see, the idle is now at 800, the temp is up (this is after a 8 mile drive around 25-40 MPH), but that dang light is on. I'm hoping that we just didn't quite refill it (somehow). I did notice though, that on my drive home when I'm going down a steep incline for about 3 minutes, the Low Coolant light shut off, until I got onto flat ground and started accelerating/uphill again.

Is this a common issue or should I just assume that I'm over reacting and I just need to add a little bit more fluid?

Thanks
~ Matt

1996 Honda Accord - Sold
1997 Chevy S10 - Sold
2000 Saturn SL2 - Sold
2003 Subaru WRX - Sold
2012 Chevy Cruze - Voluntary Repo
1997 Civic Hatch - Sold
1998 Saturn SL2 - Current :)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MetalMatty's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MetalMatty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MetalMatty is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
trxgt05
trxgt05 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default Re: Just replaced ECTS/T-Stat... one issue!

Since it is going on and off with the hills and all, it seems that maybe all you need to do it keep topping it off til the light goes away. Even though you may have filled the reservoir, it could take a little while for the radiator and such to suck it back in. Depending on how much you lost, it may not hurt to actually pull the radiator cap and top off the radiator first and then top off the reservoir. (And please do this while the engine is cool!) Drive it for a while and then check the reservoir again.

Help! Please go to this URL to help me resolve my current issue: www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177424

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trxgt05's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trxgt05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trxgt05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 10:12 PM   #3
Tofutti
Tofutti is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1994 SW2

^^^ This. +1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tofutti's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tofutti reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tofutti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 11:16 PM   #4
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

There is a good chance you have a stuck or sticking float in the reservoir. If the coolant is full and no more air is burping out, it's the probable cause.

The fix is fairly easy. Drain some coolant (yes, again!) remove the tank, and give it a good cleaning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:11 AM   #5
MetalMatty

1998 SL2

I'm honestly thinking that we just managed to spill so much of it that it's not full yet.

I was just making sure that it wasn't a common thing to happen. But if it keeps doing it after I keep filling it I'll check the floater.

1996 Honda Accord - Sold
1997 Chevy S10 - Sold
2000 Saturn SL2 - Sold
2003 Subaru WRX - Sold
1997 Civic Hatch - Sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MetalMatty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I have to bring my coolant up almost to the plastic separator inside the reservoir to keep my low coolant light off... a bit odd since other cars I have, it's usually just "somewhere in the middle"

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:20 AM   #7
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
it may not hurt to actually pull the radiator cap and top off the radiator first and then top off the reservoir.
Did the 2000 have a radiator cap in addition to the reservoir cap?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
MetalMatty

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
No. It was just the reservoir.

1996 Honda Accord - Sold
1997 Chevy S10 - Sold
2000 Saturn SL2 - Sold
2003 Subaru WRX - Sold
1997 Civic Hatch - Sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-27-2012, 11:54 AM   #9
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I have to bring my coolant up almost to the plastic separator inside the reservoir to keep my low coolant light off...
That's exactly where the "Full" mark is on the outside of the tank (although it can be hard to see when the tank gets old and the plastic yellows).
Quote:
a bit odd since other cars I have, it's usually just "somewhere in the middle"
Do those cars have a reservoir, or an overflow? On our cars, since the reservoir is part of the pressurized system (thus no radiator cap), and since "liquid always seeks its own level", the level in the reservoir is the level in the system. So, as long as it's not stuck, that float setting the light when the reservoir level is just a bit low is a good thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #10
trxgt05

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMatty View Post
No. It was just the reservoir.
Oh sorry. I've topped off the reservoir before when I changed the ECTS but I didn't drain the system so it didn't take that much. So I never tried to hunt for another cap. I was just thinking back to when I did a flush and fill on my S10. I started filling through the overflow reservoir at first... waited... yeah... So then I pulled the radiator cap and the radiator wasn't even half full. Filled it full, replaced the cap, then kept topping off the reservoir as needed for that last little bit. It would be nice if these cars had a larger opening in the radiator somewhere to fill it up quicker if needed.

Help! Please go to this URL to help me resolve my current issue: www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=177424

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trxgt05 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
trxgt05

2000 SL2

[QUOTE=madpogue;1860925]"liquid always seeks its own level"QUOTE]

True. I see what you're saying. I was just thinking that sometimes when the only thing connecting the two tanks is a small line, it's easy for an air bubble to block the line and not allow things to properly equalize.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!