SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2011, 03:28 AM   #1
furious_cruzer
furious_cruzer is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
Default 99 sc1 horn allways blowing

So I have a 99 sc1, I bought the car knowing the horn didn’t work, today I figured id experiment and find out what was wrong, I first noticed there wasn’t a fuse, at first I was like “hurray”, but when I put the fuse in the horn wouldn’t stop, I did a little research so I know there’s only a relay in the horn itself, where should I start first? Where there any common problems? I want to avoid tearing the steering wheel apart cause of the airbag, thanks in advanced

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to furious_cruzer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help furious_cruzer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
furious_cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2011, 08:33 AM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: 99 sc1 horn allways blowing

Start and finish with this modification. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZTPU8G5iM8

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:34 AM   #3
racinginblood
racinginblood will become famous soon enough

1998 SL1

lets get together cruzer we can both work on these beauties im just up the road in st kitts and yah i can hear your stuck horn blowing from here

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to racinginblood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help racinginblood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
racinginblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:13 AM   #4
furious_cruzer

1999 SC1

Well I fixed it, not sure if anyone has seen this before but when I took the headlight out and then unbolted the horn I noticed 2 black wires going into 1 that was connected to the horn so I figured I’d take my chances and cut them apart, 1 wire was always grounded (used light tester) and the other only grounded when I pushed the horn button, so simple enough I just taped off that grounded wire and called it a day, hahaha, but while I had it out, I upgraded it to a dual trumpet air horn, boy is it loud!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help furious_cruzer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2011, 05:23 AM   #5
furious_cruzer

1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinginblood View Post
lets get together cruzer we can both work on these beauties im just up the road in st kitts and yah i can hear your stuck horn blowing from here
ya man for sure

1999 Saturn SC1 5-Speed on 17's with 2x12's and DDIN dvd with 2x Headrest LCD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2011, 05:37 AM   #6
furious_cruzer

1999 SC1

[QUOTE=OldNuc;1790886]Start and finish with this modification.QUOTE]

That’s way too complicated, and it wasnt even my setup

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #7
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

If you don't do it then the best you can hope for is a smoke free burnout of the clock-spring & horn buttons. I'd carry a fire extinguisher though.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 08:11 AM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

+1^^^^What he said.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-12-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

If you had replaced the horn with another three-wire horn with a built-in relay, you could have avoided the suggested mod. But moving to an aftermarket horn like what you've installed requires the mod. Yes, electrically, it will, for a while, work as is. But, to fully explain what the others above have suggested, without the mod, you're running the FULL CURRENT of the horn (or, in your present case, hornS) through the steering column wiring, specifically the clockspring, which isn't built to take it. There's also wiring to the air bag in there. Eventually the wiring will burn out. Either the horn will fail by itself, or everything on the wheel (horn, air bag, cruise) will fail, or the air bag will jiffy-pop. Options: (1) revert to the stock wiring and find a '96-'99 three-wire horn, or (2) do the mod as admonished above.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:37 PM   #10
furious_cruzer

1999 SC1

the kit came with an external relay, i wont have problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-13-2011, 04:06 PM   #11
OldNuc

1998 SC2

That external relay draws too much coil current for the horn buttons, will just take longer to failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2011, 03:52 AM   #12
furious_cruzer

1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
That external relay draws too much coil current for the horn buttons, will just take longer to failure.
right............. ill take my chances

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #13
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

I hope you are alone on the road if the airbag goes off.
I would take this seriously and do the correct modification, I have done it on two of my Saturns.
In fact, I used the original horn, after I peeled off the electronic relay that is the problem ( it's prone to water infiltration and corrodes).

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:10 PM   #14
510man
510man is a splendid one to behold510man is a splendid one to behold510man is a splendid one to behold510man is a splendid one to behold510man is a splendid one to behold510man is a splendid one to behold510man is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
My daughter's 2000 SC2 has the horn stick on intermittently in cold weather.
I assumed it to be the horn switch in the steering column. Based on this string and assuming the car has the integrated relay (haven't looked yet), I'm thinking the relay may have moisture in it, the cold weather freezes the moisture, the ice expands and something makes contact that isn't suppose to. To that end, rather that assume the switch is bad, maybe it's the horn relay.

That being said, I need some help with Old Nuc's comment here. If he uses an external relay, whether the one Rich Pin used or a fog lamp-type relay, how is the horn switch used to trip the relay coil drawing too much current? That coil likely draws less than 0.1 amps of ground through the horn switch. The relay carries the current. What am I missing?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 510man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 510man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
510man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:44 PM   #15
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The gen-3 has the gen-1 horn system with an external relay located in the UHJB. GM/Saturn was by the introduction of the Gen-3 cars just buying a new harness for the dead horse so they neglected the arc suppression diode in the circuit. Install a new relay and a diode across the horn hot terminal to ground.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-15-2015, 01:49 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The OPs external relay has a 88 ohm relay coil. That coil draws 0.16A through a switch designed for 25mA or so at most.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-15-2015, 03:25 PM   #17
OlHillbilly
OlHillbilly will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1

Buddy of mine restores and sells train horns. It's tempting, they ain't cheap, but they'll sure get a dawdler at a stop light moving in a hurry..

2002 SL1
1997 SL.. Killed by a texting driver
1994 Mitsubishi Mighty Max
Coupla motorcycles and an assortment of bicycles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OlHillbilly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OlHillbilly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OlHillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:10 PM   #18
510man
510man is a splendid one to behold510man is a splendid one to behold510man is a splendid one to behold510man is a splendid one to behold510man is a splendid one to behold510man is a splendid one to behold510man is a splendid one to behold

I left all the factory horn wiring in tact and added a 40A relay on the ground side of the horn itself. The coil on that new relay is wired to the ignition switch so the horn only works when the key is on. When the key is off, the horn does not have a ground so it cannot sound in the middle of the night. (And they all rejoiced!!)

In addition, I wired a small toggle switch in the ground side of the new relay's coil. Should the horn stick on while the car is running, I flip the switch, which disables the newly installed ground relay and the horn shuts off. The car can be driven home quietly for repair. In effect, this is similar to pulling the horn fuse accept I'm disabling from the ground side of the horn without having to exit the car to turn off the horn.

Hope it helps somebody whose just looking to have the factory horn work as it should without the risk of it going off by itself in the middle of the night.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 510man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 510man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
510man is offline   Reply With Quote