SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2019, 11:46 AM   #5721
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpags729 View Post
Decided to do an oil change today....and what a mess it became. This is the first oil change I've done on the car, but had a receipt from Valvoline that did the last one. Look what the jack wagons had in my car!
What . . . what is that?

That's what they were using instead of an oil drain bolt?

It's, uh, different. And one of the reasons why I will never use a quick oil change place. I'm sure 80% of the time, everything is fine.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 141k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-15-2019, 02:06 PM   #5722
ErikTande
ErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the roughErikTande is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Put an electric heater inside the car.

It is plugged into a switch controlled outlet.
BWHAHAHAHA I thought about doing that last week, it's been freezing over and the saturn is always parked outside. Timer at 5am, get in and drive at 6am nice and toasty.

Well done.

http://www.youtube.com/velocitylabs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ErikTande's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ErikTande reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ErikTande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 11:16 PM   #5723
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Tracking down a front-end vibration from 60 to 70mph in 5th gear.
Comp Test
All good.

I checked the mounts a couple days ago. All good.

By grabbing the tire at 12 & 6 olclock, the driver’s wheel bearing felt loose. ...so today I installed a new one.
The old one shows a “change” in wear-pattern on the race at 6 o’clock...so it needed changing regardless...but not in January

Here is one of the threads I’m following: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=103624

Next suspect, after verifying tires again, is the driver’s AC Delco control arm ball joint. CA was installed 17,000 miles ago. If I only replace one CA, I might get away with just adjusting Toe until the steering wheel is in the straight-ahead when traveling in a straight line.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:12 PM   #5724
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Checking the oil today, I happened to notice the fresh air intake screen was just sitting over the hole completely loose. Gluing it back down shortly
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190116_170757.jpg (135.0 KB, 10 views)

1999 SL2 A4 -85k miles
Currently sipping Mobil 1 & LiquiMoly mos2

TCW3 dosed fuel

https://www.ls1.com/forums/f48/been-testing-oil-91206/

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:24 AM   #5725
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWSaturn247 View Post
Checking the oil today, I happened to notice the fresh air intake screen was just sitting over the hole completely loose. Gluing it back down shortly
I found acoustic caulk to work well.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:42 PM   #5726
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

I STRIPPED out a few small things, speakers, stereo, hitch, battery.
2000 SL1 in bronze, lots of good stuff, good drivetrain complete with subframe.
Still drives, just no brakes (rear lines)
She is now ready to be hauled away. Would like to keep it around for parts for other projects, but that might cause some tension with the better 3/4's!
So if anyone needs anything or would like to have it for scrap value let me know.
Oh, just a thought. It is a half year gen 3 with no factory air injection. Can you say different exhaust manifold? Rare?

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

Last edited by mattelderca; 01-17-2019 at 12:47 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #5727
mattwithcats
mattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura aboutmattwithcats has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

Replaced most fuses with Bussmann EasyID versions...

They have an LED that lights up when they blow...

ATM-ID-SK

Bottom of page, assorted pack of ATM fuses...

https://www.rockauto.com/en/tools/el...blade+fuse,120

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 80,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers rear...
Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30, NAPA 41516...
NGK BKR6E-11 spark plugs

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 08:49 AM   #5728
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the roughWaiex191 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I did my first real cold soak start in the $500 SC2. It was -5F overnight. Started fine, power steering pump did not sound happy! Just like the '99 SL2. Cabin was warm and windows clear due to my electric heater in the timer.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 09:06 AM   #5729
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
I did my first real cold soak start in the $500 SC2. It was -5F overnight. Started fine, power steering pump did not sound happy! Just like the '99 SL2. Cabin was warm and windows clear due to my electric heater in the timer.
Yes, power steering pumps get very angry in the cold. We're in a deep freeze here too; -25.6 F this morning and the Saturn started well enough without a block heater. Power steering pump whined for about 20 minutes before it settled down. Every S Series I've owned has this characteristic.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #5730
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Remove the old GM power steering goo and replace with Amsoil full synthetic universal ATF or Torque-Drive. That usually takes care of the excessively high pump discharge pressure due to the high viscosity. The old GM fluid is not viscosity stable, low Viscosity Index.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 10:37 AM   #5731
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Was -19 where I am this morning and the car was not happy about it. It started just fine but wow did it feel like it was struggling to turn over.

97 SL2, auto, 116K miles