SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2010, 11:22 AM   #1
92SC2
Advanced Member
92SC2 is on a distinguished road

Default clunk and steering wheel turns left when I hit the gas

I just noticed that when putzing down the road and I give the accelerator a quick jab with my right foot there's an audible clunk and the steering wheel makes a sharp jerk to the left. It's not enough to cause a wreck, but it's noticeable. It is there to a lesser degree when shifting normally and letting the clutch out. What is causing that? It's a 95 SL2 5 speed FWIW

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 92SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 92SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
92SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2010, 02:41 PM   #2
92SC2
Advanced Member

Default Re: clunk and steering wheel turns left when I hit the gas

Bueller?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 92SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2010, 03:02 PM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92SC2 View Post
I just noticed that when putzing down the road and I give the accelerator a quick jab with my right foot there's an audible clunk and the steering wheel makes a sharp jerk to the left. It's not enough to cause a wreck, but it's noticeable. It is there to a lesser degree when shifting normally and letting the clutch out. What is causing that? It's a 95 SL2 5 speed FWIW
If its in the steering you will be able to reproduce the problem sitting in the driveway. Start the car and turn the wheel back and forth and see if you feel any type of clunking in the wheel. If so its probably an outer tie rod end.

If you feel it mostly when you accelerate in a turn (and not in the driveway) you may be due for a driveshaft; although those seem to be pretty reliable in the S series vehicles.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
92SC2
Advanced Member

it occurs when driving in a straight line. Push the pedal and CLUNK & turn. The steering is otherwise fine with no shake, shimmy, or wobble. I've replaced both lower control arms.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2015, 12:15 PM   #5
Difficilus
Difficilus is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92SC2 View Post
it occurs when driving in a straight line. Push the pedal and CLUNK & turn. The steering is otherwise fine with no shake, shimmy, or wobble. I've replaced both lower control arms.
Check struts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Difficilus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Difficilus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Difficilus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #6
underthehood
Master Member
underthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the roughunderthehood is a jewel in the rough

1999 SL2
2004 VUE 2.2L

outer tie rod end(s) most likely. If you hear a clunk BTW QUIT DRIVING IT!

2006 Toyota Highlander (rare 4 cyl AWD)
2001 Toyota Highlander V6 AWD creampuff
Daughter got her own! 2005 Lexus ES330 Dream Ride

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to underthehood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help underthehood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
underthehood is offline   Reply With Quote