SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
onixwj
onixwj is on a distinguished road

Default 1992 SL2: Which clutch hydraulics to purchase? Rhino, Dorman, Perfection, Wagner?

I have a 1992 Saturn SL2 DOHC with 275,000 miles. It still has its original clutch, last inspected about 75K miles ago when the clutch hydraulics were replaced. I don't remember if factory or aftermarket parts, new or remanufactured, were used then.

I think the hydraulic master/slave cylinders assembly needs to be replaced again. Until very recently, my clutch pedal has felt mushy, but builds up pressure when pumped. If the pedal is held depressed for more than a few seconds, the clutch gradually engages. After several hundred miles of this, one day it felt completely normal, but shortly thereafter, became completely unusable (even with pumping, could not cause clutch to disengage). I limped it home by stalling it at stop lights, then starting in first gear.

I understand that the master and slave cylinders for this vehicle are typically available as a single unit, pre-filled and bled.

CSK wants $180 for a Wagner CM140979 (also as a Wagner F140979). Advance Auto Parts has a Perfection PF9000 for $130. SaturnParts.com lists a clutch master cylinder for $153 (I'd like to avoid them. I previously had trouble getting parts that were different than those shown in their illustrations, and they weren't helpful with remedying the situation.)

Rock Auto offers:
  • $97 - RHINO PAC Part # PS0425; Base; Includes Master Cylinder, Line & Slave Cylinder; O.E. Kit May Be 8-1/4"
  • $106 - DORMAN Part # CC649000 {First Stop #21120268, 21120474}
  • $114 - PERFECTION CLUTCH Part # PF9000 Optional Pre-Filled Assembly - Includes Master, Slave and Lines
  • $140 - WAGNER Part # CM140979 {Clutch Mstr/Slave Assy.} CM 16mm Dia. Bore; SC 25mm Dia. Bore * Non-stock item--shipping delayed up to 3 business days

NAPA has a clutch master cylinder for $65.

How should I decide what to buy? As a satisfied customer, I'm inclined to do more business with Rock Auto. The detail page for least expensive one they offer, from Rhino, says that "This fully bled system includes a master cylinder and slave cylinder". I'm guessing they all are similar.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onixwj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onixwj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onixwj is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-12-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
sprinj76
sprinj76 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
2006 ION Red Line
Default Re: 1992 SL2: Which clutch hydraulics to purchase? Rhino, Dorman, Perfection, Wagner?

This is more opinion than anything else but I hope it helps.

I replaced my clutch, flywheel, and hydraulics 30k miles ago. I used a perfection hydraulic assembly and haven't had any issues with it.

I would recommend either the perfection kit (personal experience), or the Dorman, which according to Rock Auto comes with a life time warranty.

Black Onyx '06 Ion Redline w/ comp package

Red '97 SC2 5-speed --sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sprinj76's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sprinj76 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sprinj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:41 PM   #3
Leafy
Leafy is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default Re: 1992 SL2: Which clutch hydraulics to purchase? Rhino, Dorman, Perfection, Wagner?

O E M. I have a set of used OEM ones that I'm selling.

1994 SL2 HCE auto 113 hp 113 lbft (wheel) backup car
2002 Chevy Cavalier SS
For Sale: FlyWheel, Shifter assembly, Clutch Hydros, 1st gen 5 spd PCM. PM me for prices.

WPI class of '12 ME

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Leafy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Leafy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Leafy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #4
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

I replaced mine with a unit from Napa, their clutch brand is Perfection.

The Napa part actually has the PF9000 part# on it.

I've had no issues with it at all, and fits like OEM. I will honestly probably buy the perfection clutch kit from Napa too and give that a try. It's definitely the least expensive place to get a clutch locally near me, and so far my experience with Perfection is just fine.

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:34 AM   #5
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

I installed a replacement hydraulics purchased from the local Saturn dealer (couldn't wait for mail order). No problem since, its been about 3 years or so.

For typical street/daily driver use it becomes a matter of that make you most comfortable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

I've had the hydraulics from getsaturnparts in my '93 for just over a year now. With 2 transmissions. Engages a tad low for my taste but works fine. Strangely, the last time I had used the current transmission it required a bit of effort to get into gear, now it doesn't. Very odd.

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 10:59 AM   #7
onixwj

Should I expect these to vary much from one manufacturer to another? Even from one parts store, prices vary by 30%.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help onixwj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-15-2009, 08:49 PM   #8
Eyeball
Eyeball is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Saturnfans forums nor Haynes manual has instructions for this repair. Is this repair as easy as it seems? (I am replacing my master/slave cylinder assembly too.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Eyeball's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Eyeball reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Eyeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 10:17 PM   #9
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeball View Post
Saturnfans forums nor Haynes manual has instructions for this repair. Is this repair as easy as it seems? (I am replacing my master/slave cylinder assembly too.)
It's pretty easy... the only thing you wont be able to see is the fact that the master cyl in the firewall twists like 45 degrees to remove.... Other than that, just follow the lines and remove. It's nice to have the new unit on hand so you can see what it will look like before you attempt the removal. It took me like 45 mins having never done it before, and that includes disassembly, etc..

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:19 PM   #10
onixwj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyeball View Post
Saturnfans forums nor Haynes manual has instructions for this repair.
How to replace (for a 1995 SL-series; I have the factory service manual and didn't compare line-by-line, but this sounds like the same procedure):
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60471

How to diagnose:
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94634

REWARD EXCELLENCE!