SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2009, 07:28 PM   #1
DJCannon5
DJCannon5 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1
2007 ION-1 Sedan
Default Stage 3 Clutchand mp2

I put in a stage 3 clutch and a dual cam. I left the dish pistons in there and left out the windage tray. I also rebuild stock front suspension and got some Enkei 17s with nexens. The car is awesome now. I swear i hit 0-45 in 3 seconds and im at 92mph in 4th at 5500 rpms. havent risked going any faster on streets. I still want more grip. its silly in the rain from a stop light I can spin out all the way into 5th and barely being moving forward.

my major concern more so is with my transmission. I have a few mp2s and read that they are good up to 200hp or so but Im getting horrible sounds from my trans when I get stuck in slow traffic and have to use first alot. My car wants to grab and go. I also get this amazing per at about 3100 rpms. With my car who knows that it is but it reminds me of the sound i heard from the 1000hp pro charged saturn Sky at the SEMA in Vegas lol I think Im just wishful thinking there.

Anyhow any opinion on the limits of stage 3 clutch and any idea about that pur when I start to get into my powerband?

"1995 SL2 Manual" Red
"1995 SC1 Manual" White
"2007 Ion-1 Automatic" Midnight Blue

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DJCannon5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DJCannon5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DJCannon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #2
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1
Default Re: Stage 3 Clutchand mp2

First thing we need to define is what this "stage 3" clutch is. Is that the brand?

I'm kinda curious why you left the windage tray out?

The MP2 and MP3 are identical aside from their gear ratios. Gotta watch the spinning the tires, as that'll kill the differential pretty quick. A quaife would be nice, but they're not in regular production. There was a buy-in, and a few left over, but I'm not sure if they're still available. They were a little over a grand, though, so they're out of the budget of most Saturn tuners. Hard to tell what the sounds you're having are without hearing them. *shrug*

What kind of tires are you running? Sounds like it's time to upgrade if you're able to spin them that much.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:26 PM   #3
DJCannon5
DJCannon5 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC1
2007 ION-1 Sedan

Nexen Tires. The sounds is like metallic purring. I dont know it if trans or lose exhaut piping catching a tune with the exhaust wave but it happens in all gears more so first 3 at start of power band. Yah it either burns out or bogs down on my launch. its fun watching my front end come up but it slows me down and if i shift to hard i can keep it sliding through gears. stage 3 clutch. it looks like ceramic metal chunks for a plate instead of a bunch of small pads. the manafacture i bough it from also sold stage 1 and stage 2 and 4. It grabs hard and the clutch catch point is very much at the top so i shift with little pressure on the pedal. The trans makes horrible sounds at a low idle in first gear and my cars happy after 3k rpms for shifting. It dont like anything much lower then that. It almost creeks so I have to ride the clutch or put it into neutral at slow speeds and then i let her grab an she jumps a little to get me moving again. its like clutch flywheel collision connection. ive got a spare stock. i figure clutch was for racing and wouldnt last but i didnt consider the impact on the trans and other components when i got it.

Oh Yes I left the windage tray and dish pistons in because I was only doing a head swap and already had a re built bottom end with a new crank and rings etc.

BTW I did see the quaife at $1500 once but like you said its here and gone like the findanza stuff as well. I keep telling my self im going to quit after a tuner and a t3/t4 turbo but well see it just keeps going and going.

"1995 SL2 Manual" Red
"1995 SC1 Manual" White
"2007 Ion-1 Automatic" Midnight Blue

Last edited by DJCannon5; 06-04-2009 at 08:33 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DJCannon5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DJCannon5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DJCannon5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 02:57 PM   #4
plastic torpedo
plastic torpedo will become famous soon enoughplastic torpedo will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1994 SC2

Your flywheel bolts could have backed out. Happened to me once.
Gotta use locktite.
Unless you didn't take the flywheel off when you did the clutch.

2000 SL2 5-speed turbo
MSnS-E fuel & spark controlled @ 17-20 psi (methanol injected)
Fully forged, P&P head and manifolds, FSR turbo cams, balanced to 9k RPM
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3070918

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plastic torpedo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plastic torpedo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plastic torpedo is offline   Reply With Quote