SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2009, 01:35 AM   #1
p8ntballsniper8
p8ntballsniper8 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default CAI worth it?

There's a CAI at procarparts.com that runs at 29.99, 49.99 with a K&N Filter.

link: http://www.procarparts.com/product_i...mmeh7ca6qiqau3

Is it worth buying? Or should I shell out the 150 for the AEM? I'm trying to upgrade my car as cheaply as possible, and while I know the AEM is probably the best overall, I'm not really going to be taking my Sl2 to the track anytime soon. Just wanna get started modding the car so I can beat my friends' ZX2 in a drag.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to p8ntballsniper8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help p8ntballsniper8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
p8ntballsniper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
Fox Slaughter
Fox Slaughter is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1996 SL2
Default Re: CAI worth it?

Well piping is piping. Well I should say mandrel bent piping is piping as long as its the same diameter. I would just pick that up and put a different filter on it. 150 for a AEM sounds like you are looking at a WAI or SRI, not a CAI. Those are like 250.

I'll be sitting at my desk
With a gun in my hand, wearing a bulletproof vest singing
"My, my, my, how the time does fly, when you know you're going to die
By the end of the night."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fox Slaughter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fox Slaughter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fox Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
SL1_sleeper670
SL1_sleeper670 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

personally..thats alot, but i dont really like to purchase my products, cuz ive found alot dont fit right..

a K&N air filter its self usually runs $50...

but as to a CAI being worth it, HELL YEAH it is!
mines a custom 3" PVC piping(hey, its cheap n it works) with my filter where the drivers side fog light would be, and i can deff tell a difference.

ive had a stock filter, a WAI setup, a RAM air setup, and now a CAI setup..CAI works the best.

goodluck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL1_sleeper670's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL1_sleeper670 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL1_sleeper670 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:56 AM   #4
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Two things...

1.) why is AEM better then K&N? Do you think it will honestly matter?

2.) I hope you don't have an automatic transmission.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:09 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

OnDaGround, it doesn't matter if it's an auto or not, that's a warm air intake for a 3rd gen... lol

I'd keep my CAI on more often but it rains alot, my car is lowered and I don't have the water bypass thing-a-ma-job to prevent water being sucked into my engine. I know my spare '97 would work fine with a 2nd ECTS drilled in and a EGR block off plate, but I really don't feel like needing to do that much work

AEM cold air intakes are/were $250. If it doesn't have ~4ft of pipe its NOT a cold are intake. Might be closer to 5ft for the 3rd gens...

The proper way to fix a S-Series automatic is to replace it with a 5spd O:)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:06 PM   #6
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
OnDaGround, it doesn't matter if it's an auto or not, that's a warm air intake for a 3rd gen... lol
ah... didn't see the top bend until now. you know I don't care about 3rd gen cars. lol

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:30 PM   #7
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post

I'd keep my CAI on more often but it rains alot, my car is lowered and I don't have the water bypass thing-a-ma-job to prevent water being sucked into my engine. I know my spare '97 would work fine with a 2nd ECTS drilled in and a EGR block off plate, but I really don't feel like needing to do that much work

AEM cold air intakes are/were $250. If it doesn't have ~4ft of pipe its NOT a cold are intake. Might be closer to 5ft for the 3rd gens...
It's about 5 ft. long. It's a good sized snake that's for sure. LOL

When it rains hard here some of the streets end up with about 6"-12" or so of standing water at some of the bottoms of the dips & hills. It's even worse in the winter when the snow/ice clogs the storm drains. I know I've sucked in my fair share of water and stalled the engine a few times due to this. It stalled for a few seconds, but I still had enough speed while in motion.

Even just going down the highway if it is raining buckets, like enough to warrant slowing to a crawl or pulling over, the engine doesn't misfire, but noticably lacks power due to water getting in the air intake. I'm an optimist so I just see it as a good, free, effortless steam engine cleaning. LOL But I don't need an explanation of how this is bad for the engine. I try to avoid this when possible, but in every instance it is virtually inevitable.

At the end of the day these things happen so rarely that I'm not too concerned about it.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 182K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 194K miles
2018 Chrysler Pacifica Touring L 41K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 12:59 AM   #8
p8ntballsniper8

1995 SL2
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

OnDaGround, I actually do have an Auto tranny. I looked and it wont matter. Either way I just got my manual in a couple of days ago, and I'm trying to find a weekend that doesn't involve me going somewhere so I can take the thing apart and put the new tranny in.

And AEM vs K&N doesn't matter, I've just heard that out of all of the intakes, AEM makes the best.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help p8ntballsniper8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-02-2009, 03:27 AM   #9
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

uh dude.. with the way CAIs are designed, you need the MANUAL shift vehicle, because the autofail trans filter usually gets in the way of things.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:48 AM   #10
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
uh dude.. with the way CAIs are designed, you need the MANUAL shift vehicle, because the autofail trans filter usually gets in the way of things.
Sounds like he's saying it doesn't matter because he's doing a manual swap anyway.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 06:28 AM   #11
Fox Slaughter

1998 SC2
1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballsniper8 View Post
OnDaGround, I actually do have an Auto tranny. I looked and it wont matter. Either way I just got my manual in a couple of days ago, and I'm trying to find a weekend that doesn't involve me going somewhere so I can take the thing apart and put the new tranny in.

And AEM vs K&N doesn't matter, I've just heard that out of all of the intakes, AEM makes the best.

Notice it says hes manual came in a couple days ago, and take the thing apart to put the new tranny in. Sounds like a manual swap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Fox Slaughter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #12
tenn734
tenn734 is on a distinguished road

i like the AEM dryflow filter b/c of the ease of cleaning and no need for oiling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tenn734's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tenn734 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tenn734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:06 PM   #13
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
Sounds like he's saying it doesn't matter because he's doing a manual swap anyway.
Oh. But it's best to nail that fact into people's heads, just to be sure.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:23 PM   #14
mr18436572
mr18436572 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

So people actually put CAI's on these cars huh. lol

2000 SL2 auto - 167k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 161k - sold
1997 SC2 auto - 105k - sold
2000 SC2 auto - 117k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 250k - sold
2001 SC2 5sp - 160k - sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr18436572's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr18436572 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:37 AM   #15
p8ntballsniper8

1995 SL2
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yeah they do.

Slight problem I ran into. The transmission I got from a junkyard a few states away (turns out none of the yards nearby had one) is a gen-3. My SL2's a 95.

Will a CAI really run into the trans filter? Or am I okay? I'm trying to find a place that'll get me a gen-2 tranny, (and actually know the difference) so I can do the swap, however the 'race' is coming up here in a few weeks, and I don't think I'll be able to get it done in time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-03-2009, 01:50 AM   #16
ςατμяη gμψ
ςατμяη gμψ is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Devil Re: CAI worth it?

I'm getting ready to buy the AEM Short Ram Intake. It might not get quite as much hp as the CAI, but... I have an auto transmission, i don't want to worry about water getting sucked into the engine, and I think the filter would get dirtier a lot more with a CAI near the tire. I'm not expecting a whole lot, I just think it will make my car sound better, get a few hp, and maybe a little better MPG. Plus, it will look cool under the hood where you can actually see it.

AEM Short Ram Intake
Disabled DRLs
Cleaned Throttle Body
New Front Brakes and Rotors
New Spark Plugs and Wires
New Battery
Charged A/C
New Michelin Primacy MXV4 Tires

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ςατμяη gμψ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ςατμяη gμψ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ςατμяη gμψ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:28 AM   #17
Fox Slaughter

1998 SC2
1996 SL2

To hydrolock a motor takes quite a bit of water.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-03-2009, 06:38 AM   #18
noanoxan
noanoxan is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

my friend was just telling me about these things called air bypass filter valves, that give your engine an alternate path to breathe so it doesn't suck up water.

anyone use one of these? they're $20 with shipping on ebay, so it'd be a good investment, imo. couldn't hurt anyway.

---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to noanoxan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help noanoxan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
noanoxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 10:50 AM   #19
p8ntballsniper8

1995 SL2
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Also, I just realized that the CAI posted on the website was made for the 01-03 SC1. I drive a '95 SL2. Will this be a problem? Or is underneath the hood basically the same?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #20
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by p8ntballsniper8 View Post
Yeah they do.

Slight problem I ran into. The transmission I got from a junkyard a few states away (turns out none of the yards nearby had one) is a gen-3. My SL2's a 95.

Will a CAI really run into the trans filter? Or am I okay? I'm trying to find a place that'll get me a gen-2 tranny, (and actually know the difference) so I can do the swap, however the 'race' is coming up here in a few weeks, and I don't think I'll be able to get it done in time.
Are you talking about a manual trans? If so, it doesn't matter that it's from a 3rd gen.

Yes, the small handful of CAI designs for the S-Series are routed where they will hit the auto trans filter.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote