SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
Saturn#5
Saturn#5 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2007 VUE 2.2L
Default Vent Control Knob

Any notice that the vent direction control knob does not follow the standard simple pattern...see the picture...

From right to left...feet, feet and front windshield, front windshield, face, face and feet...

Should not the face and the face and feet settings be switched? This was it would be symmetrical!

I find it very difficult to remember which setting is which. I really like to memorize my buttons while driving so I do not have to take my eyes off the road to switch button settings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo_031909_001.jpg (67.1 KB, 25 views)

Saturn#5

Saturn car history:
1995 SL2
2002 LW200
2005 ION
2007 VUE
2008 Astra

HEY GM...KISS MY ASTRA!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn#5's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn#5 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn#5 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #2
Teh_Freak
Teh_Freak is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Vent Control Knob

It makes sense to me (kinda goes down->up order), and the fact that "feet and face" are on the left most side makes it all the easier for me (it's the most used setting as far as I'm concerned), so I just flip that knob really quick without having to look down.

Not a big problem for me anyway, I look at controls regardless of what car I drive anyway.

-- Jon --
Red 2008 Saturn Astra XR3 (2008 - 2012 RIP) :(
Black 1987 Porsche 944
Blue 2012 Ford Focus (On Order)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Teh_Freak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Teh_Freak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Teh_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
PanVet
PanVet is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2004 VUE 3.6L

That is why it has the little pitcures.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PanVet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PanVet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PanVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:49 PM   #4
SaturnSdn
Master Member
SaturnSdn will become famous soon enoughSaturnSdn will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-3 Sedan
2007 ION-3 Sedan

Yes I did notice and so have more guests that have driven the car then I'd like to think about.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSdn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSdn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnSdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:16 PM   #5
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn#5 View Post
Any notice that the vent direction control knob does not follow the standard simple pattern...see the picture...

From right to left...feet, feet and front windshield, front windshield, face, face and feet...

Should not the face and the face and feet settings be switched? This was it would be symmetrical!

I find it very difficult to remember which setting is which. I really like to memorize my buttons while driving so I do not have to take my eyes off the road to switch button settings.
If you want to nit-pick, it should go: "windshield... windshield/feet... feet... feet/vent... vent". At least that way it would match most other manufacturers out there. My best guess would be that it has something to do with the actual doors inside the airflow box itself.

But another way of looking at it is this: the positions on the left are for warm weather driving while the positions on the right (including straight up) are for colder/wetter weather. I know... that doesn't help much.

Or you could have this:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2010-Camaro-Console.jpg (109.9 KB, 47 views)

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:32 PM   #6
danger d
danger d is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
If you want to nit-pick, it should go: "windshield... windshield/feet... feet... feet/vent... vent". At least that way it would match most other manufacturers out there. My best guess would be that it has something to do with the actual doors inside the airflow box itself.

But another way of looking at it is this: the positions on the left are for warm weather driving while the positions on the right (including straight up) are for colder/wetter weather. I know... that doesn't help much.

Or you could have this:

UGLY what car is that

2008 Red Astra XR3 5-speeds Sport Handling Package Premium Audio Package 17's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to danger d's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help danger d reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
danger d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! has a spectacular aura aboutAstra La Vista! has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by danger d View Post
UGLY what car is that
Hover your mouse over the thumbnail and see.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-29-2009, 09:29 PM   #8
titan12
titan12 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astra La Vista! View Post
Hover your mouse over the thumbnail and see.
ouch!! and that is GM's promising future vehicle..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to titan12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help titan12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
titan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:54 PM   #9
Teh_Freak
Teh_Freak is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I got to sit in a 2010 Camaro at the OKC Auto Show, I liked it, but a lot of people were complaining that it wasn't "luxourious" enough and other such nonsense. It's a muscle car for crying out loud, it's about the power, not luxury, people seem to want luxury in everything nowadays.

Now I'm done with the rant

-- Jon --
Red 2008 Saturn Astra XR3 (2008 - 2012 RIP) :(
Black 1987 Porsche 944
Blue 2012 Ford Focus (On Order)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Teh_Freak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Teh_Freak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Teh_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:27 AM   #10
99blacktop
99blacktop is on a distinguished road

I agree that it does seem out of order, but it isn't a big deal to me. I normally have the air blowing in my face or at the windshield, so it is convenient having those two right next to each other. Plus, the lack of forced a/c usage more than makes up for the slightly different selection order. No more do I have to worry about the a/c kicking in for absolutely no reason when I decide to blow warm air on my feet on a 45 degree day. (Yes, that was my biggest complaint with the VUE)

My Saturn history:
1993 SL2 100,406 miles ('94-'98)
1999 SC2 118,537 miles ('98-'12)
2005 VUE 25,705 miles ('05-'09)
2008 Astra 27,014 miles ('09-'12)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 99blacktop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 99blacktop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
99blacktop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:33 AM   #11
Astra La Vista!

2008 Astra XR

I took that pic with my camera phone of a red SS that has been "making the rounds" amongst all the local GM dealers. I've made it a point to sit in it at every dealer I find it at. The main instrument cluster shares similar styling. Note the centrally mounted door lock switch -- just like our Astras. It is nice, but not quite as nice as Chrysler's Challenger.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-30-2009, 06:17 AM   #12
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member
OPEL Blitz is on a distinguished road

Easy to understand, easy to use. Easy to steal.

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

Last edited by OPEL Blitz; 04-30-2009 at 06:28 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OPEL Blitz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OPEL Blitz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OPEL Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 07:37 AM   #13
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

I agree it's a bit out of the ordinary. I remember wondering why I had so much trouble defogging the windshield, and then noticed the knob was on the floor setting.

I REALLY like that I can select the defroster without automatically engaging the A/C compressor. That's pretty unusual these days. I know that the compressor helps clear the window faster, but on most occasions it does just fine without it, and saves a bit of fuel in the process.

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 08:08 AM   #14
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

if i had the funds, it would be a tough choice between the mustang gt, the challenger r/t and the camaro ss. but being a gm kind of guy, i t would have to be the camaro. i have never owned one but my brother owned a 67 ht in 1970 and a 67 ss showcar a few years ago.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:07 AM   #15
NJastra
NJastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72gssaturn View Post
if i had the funds, it would be a tough choice between the mustang gt, the challenger r/t and the camaro ss. but being a gm kind of guy, i t would have to be the camaro. i have never owned one but my brother owned a 67 ht in 1970 and a 67 ss showcar a few years ago.
Same here. It will be one of the toughest things for me NOT to get the Camaro. I think it's the best of the bunch. The reviews seem to point that way in just about every category too. I was never a fan of the Mustang and the Challenger is just way too bulky (altho looking nice). But the Challenger's bulkiness kills it in the handling department. Even the V6 Camaro runs a 14 second quarter mile versus the V8 Challenger's 13.7! Camaro V6 is 304hp.....of course the SS is the way to go with either the 400 or 426 hp engines. If I'm not mistaken the SS2 Camaro does 0-60 in 4.4. Camaro for the win for sure! (Now someone restrain me before I buy one!)

-Jon-

3 dr XR, Twilight Blue, 5 speed manual, 18" 5-star rims, Leather trim package, Heated seats, VXMMI (Advanced Audio)

2017 Regal GS, 20", fully loaded

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NJastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NJastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NJastra is offline   Reply With Quote