SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
hut
hut is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default replacement key

Can anyone tell me how to get an extra key for my Astra 08? Thanks in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hut is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-16-2015, 10:15 PM   #2
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the roughonefunkar is a jewel in the rough

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR
Default Re: replacement key

dealer only. has to be ordered and of course programmed. many dealers have problems doing this. best bet a chevy dealer. not cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 11:28 PM   #3
smwalker
smwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura aboutsmwalker has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR

There are aftermarket cloneable keys but they won't have any of the buttons to lock or unlock the doors. And you would have to go to a locksmith that has the right machine to program them. Not all have them from what I hear. Tat would cost you around $50 I imagine.

If you want a replacement factory flip key you can obtain used ones from Ebay or other sources (seen them for abut $30.00 in the US). Maybe take it to a locksmith to get the sidewinder blank key copied form your current key then take it to a dealer as they have to do the programming of new key and old keys into the cars computer via the Tech 2 machine. This would run you about:
30 for the key
100 for the programming
20 to get it cut
150 total

Or you can just let the dealer handle everything. They will get your cars key code via you VIN order the key blade precut so it arrives to them already cut. They they would program it with the tech 2. All that would be upwards of $250. I know some members have gone this route on the board here they may have written about it i other threads. See if I can find a link.

Some discussion here: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho....php?t=202303&

And if you can find a generous dealer they may throw in the programming if you buy the factory part from them. That seemed to happen with a few guys in this thread: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...light=flip+key

Last edited by smwalker; 01-16-2015 at 11:40 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smwalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smwalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 01:10 AM   #4
vasy
Advanced Member
vasy is on a distinguished road

2007 VUE Green Line

dealer only item.
i called my local one, was quoted $80 for the pre cut key and 60 to program it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vasy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vasy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 02:02 PM   #5
PaulR
PaulR will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hut View Post
Can anyone tell me how to get an extra key for my Astra 08? Thanks in advance
Go to an "authorized Saturn service facility", or a Cheveeee dealer. I got one made about two years ago at now the defunct Saturn dealer, and it cost me about $85.
A very good price for the whole wad, (key & programming), so figure it will cost you at least that amount. If it costs more than $150, they just want to gauge you.

PaulR

2008 XR3 5 speed, heated seats, leather, premium sound , 18" wheels, center armrest
2008 XE5 CEL Special Edition, 5 speed, heated seats, panoramic moonroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PaulR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PaulR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 02:07 PM   #6
Astra08
Astra08 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

I had an extra one made for about $65 at a GMC/Buick dealer a couple of years ago...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra08 is offline   Reply With Quote