SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2011, 04:05 PM   #41
saturn_babe
saturn_babe is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
Default Re: How To Diagnose/Solve High Idle Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
If your ECTS ($10) is good, then you need a thermostat ($25).

Either the ECTS is sending a bad signal that your engine is colder than it really is, or (due to failed thermostat) the engine really is colder than it should be. This tells the engine to add a little gas and idle a little faster to help your engine warm up to normal temps. Normal gauge reading for 96-02 should be around 3/8
I'll have to do this when I get paid. Does it hurt the car by waiting another 2 weeks?

Quote:
Sticky gas pedal is likely a separate issue (throttle body, most likely, as you have already found)
I'm getting my b/f to do this now... but is it better to take the TB all the way off and clean or spray carb cleaner in it or on a rag and clean?

Many thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_babe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_babe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2011, 04:24 PM   #42
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_babe View Post
I'll have to do this when I get paid. Does it hurt the car by waiting another 2 weeks?
Not particularly. Your mpg will be down and you will be running richer than you should (which has downstream effects, like clogging the catalytic converter a little sooner, etc) but two more weeks isn't going to lead to any catastrophic failures.

Quote:
I'm getting my b/f to do this now... but is it better to take the TB all the way off and clean or spray carb cleaner in it or on a rag and clean?
better to take it all the way off, and spary from behind, IMO. It's pretty easy - there is an excellent video on YouTube by richpin06a (one of many videos). There are a lot of places in the throttle body that you really can't clean well just by spraying cleaner in from the front. Be sure and work the throttle plate while you have it off.

It's just a few 10mm bolts, and a few connectors that have to be removed. A couple of minutes to remove it, maybe 10 minutes to spray it clean, and a couple more minutes to reinstall it. I just sprayed it, no rag, but I did rub a few spots with a finger nail.

You should watch the video and/or show it to your boyfriend. After you watch it, you may think, "Hey, that looks easy... bet I can do that myself'

Those videos and this forum are what lead me to replacing my ECTS, thermostat, adding cruise control to my car, replacing the fender and door skin (no more duct tape), replacing an axle, etc. Those are all firsts for me, and I probably would not have tried to tackle those things if it weren't for the videos and this forum.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:41 PM   #43
Ecomike
Ecomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of light

2001 SL1

Was having intermittent high idle, reverse slam, and finally yesterday 1-2, and 2-3 ultra hard shifts ( the new symptom), new TPS solved the occasional higher idle, and slightly continuous high idle. After a little drive and 4 restarts, the idle came down to about 750 +/-50, cold to hot, and reverse slam is nearly gone, but the new problem of 1-2 and 3-4 hard/ultra hard shift is still with us. It runs fine in 2, shifts hard hard going from 2 to 3, and in D the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are way too hard still.

The ECTS looks OK, and OBD-II scan was all clean, O2, all temps.......a whole list of stuff I wont try to list here were perfect. This is 2001, SL1, 190,000 miles.

I suspect it may have a mix of Dex III and Dex IV in it, which for Jeeps Trannys is a big a no no, and I suspect Saturns don't like the mix either, inspite of what others say.

I am planning to change the fluid and add Dex III next.

I found another temperature sensor that looks just like IAT (MAT) and ECTS, in the tranny case, near the T-fluid filter. The connector plastic is cracked on the retainer clip part and it looks like a tiny bit of red fluid inside the Tranny temp sensor. So I am wondering if that is the same part as the ECTS and MAT sensors, and if that can be screwing with the transmission shift control.

Also does the SL1 have a separate Transmission computer? Does any one have a PDF on the transmission itself, diagnostics, tear down, controls, etc?

What model automatic transmission did the 2001 SL1 have?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ecomike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ecomike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ecomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:02 PM   #44
Ecomike
Ecomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of light

2001 SL1

Was having intermittent high idle, reverse slam, and finally yesterday 1-2, and 2-3 ultra hard shifts ( the new symptom), new TPS solved the occasional higher idle, and slightly continuous high idle. After a little drive and 4 restarts, the idle came down to about 750 +/-50, cold to hot, and reverse slam is nearly gone, but the new problem of 1-2 and 2-3 gears, hard/ultra hard shift is still with us. It runs fine in 2, shifts hard going from 2 to 3, and in D the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts are way too hard still.

The ECTS looks OK, and OBD-II scan was all clean, both O2 sensors, all measured temps, air and coolant OK, fuel trim OK, no pending codes, no codes, .......a whole list of stuff I wont try to list here were perfect. This is a 2001, SL1, 190,000 miles.

Found a second ground, small one, 8 ga maybe, from the battery to the frame near and below the air filter box, near the battery, that looks bad (rusty), leaving just the starter ground from the battery as good? Old jeeps have notorious ground problems that cause computer control issues, so I am wondering if that might be an issue on Saturns? It has no known electrical issues.

I suspect it may have a mix of Dex III and Dex IV fluid in it, which for Jeep Trannys is a big a no no (I am a jeep guy), and I suspect Saturns don't like the mix either, in spite of what others say about fluid compatability.

I am planning to change the fluid and add Dex III next.

I found another temperature sensor that looks just like the IAT (MAT) and ECTS, in the tranny case, near the T-fluid filter. The connector plastic is cracked on the retainer clip part on the harness side and it looks like a tiny bit of red fluid inside the Tranny temp sensor, leaking a little now perhaps. So I am wondering if that is the same part as the ECTS and MAT sensors, and if that can be screwing with the transmission shift control.

Also does the SL1 have a separate Transmission computer?

Does any one have a PDF on the transmission itself, diagnostics, tear down, controls, etc?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ecomike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ecomike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ecomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:59 PM   #45
bigalpha
bigalpha will become famous soon enough

1997 SL1

My idle is slightly higher than normal and is steadily high.

I already replaced the ECTS with a brass tipped one and the connector was in fine shape.

My engine temp is about 1/8th too low.

I haven't attempted to clean the throttle body yet.

The restarting the car trick doesn't change it. I don't hear any audible vacuum leaks.

Hi Mike.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bigalpha's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bigalpha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bigalpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:35 AM   #46
saturn_babe

1997 SL1

Do you know where I can get the videos of how to clean the throttle body? The links on the main post in this thread aren't working. Says they've been removed. Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_babe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2011, 01:38 AM   #47
diplomat1
diplomat1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Saturn Babe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc5qCuQLmFE

Is that the one?

Prince

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to diplomat1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help diplomat1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
diplomat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:00 AM   #48
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomat1 View Post
Saturn Babe:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pc5qCuQLmFE

Is that the one?
That should be it. Richpin has some great videos.

Bigalpha - I'd try the spray test to check for vacuum leaks. Often a visual won't do it.

Saturnbabe - Throttle body is a possible cause, but I wouldn't say a likely cause. I have seen it happen though. In either case cleaning the throttle body is a good thing. In my photos there is a pic with the old and new style ECTS, if you look at the outer parts on the connector side you can see the difference. Most of the newer brass units have the rounded "shoulder" area on the moulded in nut. If it looks like the old type it would be my suspect #1.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 09:51 AM   #49
bigalpha

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post

Bigalpha - I'd try the spray test to check for vacuum leaks. Often a visual won't do it.
Thanks, i'll give this a try.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bigalpha reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #50
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomike View Post
Does any one have a PDF on the transmission itself, diagnostics, tear down, controls, etc?

1998-2002 Sx2 used the MP7 transmission.

Disassembly - http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...sassembly.html

Low Saturn's tech articles - worth bookmarking for reference

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #51
saturn_babe

1997 SL1

Quote:

Saturnbabe - Throttle body is a possible cause, but I wouldn't say a likely cause. I have seen it happen though. In either case cleaning the throttle body is a good thing. In my photos there is a pic with the old and new style ECTS, if you look at the outer parts on the connector side you can see the difference. Most of the newer brass units have the rounded "shoulder" area on the moulded in nut. If it looks like the old type it would be my suspect #1.
That looks like it. Thanks, Diplomat!

Signmaster, I think cleaning it will definitely help. The ECTS I'll have to do ina couple of weeks cause I'm almost broke. Starting a new job today so I'll have cash later this month. So the newer ones are better if that's what's on my car? ANd it it's an older one, best to change it? lol is there a how to video on that too? Thanks so much!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #52
bigalpha

1997 SL1

Quote:
So the newer ones are better if that's what's on my car? ANd it it's an older one, best to change it? lol is there a how to video on that too? Thanks so much!
The only one that should be installed is one with a brass tip. Also, I replaced mine in about 5 minutes in the dark with a flashlight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #53
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
ANd it it's an older one, best to change it? lol is there a how to video on that too? Thanks so much!
This is why we worship richpin:

How to find the ECTS,
How to replace the ECTs, and
How to replace the ECTS connector

If it's an old one, definitely replace it. Before I replaced mine, car was hard to start, stalled at stops, and pulling around 20mpg. After replacing the $10 ECTS and the connector, no hard starts, no stalling, up to 35 mpg. At $3/gallon, paid for itself very quickly

After I found the first few videos, I downloaded every one I could find using Firefox and an add-on - here's richpin's channel
http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:54 PM   #54
saturn_babe

1997 SL1

Thanks yall for the info.

My b/f just cleaned out the TB but didn't take it off... but I think he needs to. He said it got clean but I was just out driving and it's reviving up when I'm shifting gears and when in neutral it's at almost 2000rpms then goes back down to the original 1000 again... it didn't seem to help. So do you think he needs to take it off an clean it? Also, i forgot to get hm to check that other thing... but I did notice the gas pedal seemed better and not sticky.

gosh, i sometimes wish i could work on cars... i would do it myself!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2011, 03:59 PM   #55
saturn_babe

1997 SL1

alordofchaos thanks for the links, too! I appreciate it!!

ETA, chaos? The last 2 links say the video has been removed, but the 1st one works. Just wanted to let you know!

Last edited by saturn_babe; 01-04-2011 at 04:12 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #56
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
gosh, i sometimes wish i could work on cars... i would do it myself!
If you type for yourself and dress yourself in the morning you could probably change an ECTS without issue.

As for the old/new ECTS types, it's not to say that one actually works better when they are working. It's just that the older type fail more often and on these cars the ECTS can cause a lot of issues. Our car had more years and miles on it than most say the original old style ECTS will possibly last, yet it was fine when I took it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:53 AM   #57
saturn_babe

1997 SL1

Quote:
If you type for yourself and dress yourself in the morning you could probably change an ECTS without issue.

As for the old/new ECTS types, it's not to say that one actually works better when they are working. It's just that the older type fail more often and on these cars the ECTS can cause a lot of issues. Our car had more years and miles on it than most say the original old style ECTS will possibly last, yet it was fine when I took it out.
I may just change it myself... is there a video on how to change it? The one in the post above is no longer there... also, is this the part?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2011, 11:17 AM   #58
bigalpha

1997 SL1

Quote:
I may just change it myself... is there a video on how to change it? The one in the post above is no longer there... also, is this the part?

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...mString=search
I believe it's this one: http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=136520_0_0_

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #59
alordofchaos

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Sorry about the dead links... looks like richpin updated the ECTS replacement video. New link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cucm7QGlsYs don't overtighten when you install, just get it snug. Some of the threads remain exposed, that is normal. If you come across dead links for richpin in the future, just use YouTube's search (I used the terms "ECTS replacement richpin06a" to find the new link)

this is what the ECTS looks like:
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...S_529637405___

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...er=136520_0_0_

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #60
saturn_babe

1997 SL1

Great! Thanks to you both!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!