SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #21
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: How To Diagnose/Solve High Idle Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2 View Post
I have a 2001 SC2 and my high idle only returns every summer. In the winter time no high idle what so ever. Throttle body cleaned, idle air control valve replaced. Should the “summer high idle” tell me something. Yes when I turn off the engine, and start back up high idle gone. So now I am leaning towards the TPS or the coolant temperature sensor.
The turn off engine and restart for a normal idle is usually the TPS. It can also be the MAP sensor. If you have never changed the ECTS change it first as its the 10.00 part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #22
SC2
SC2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the tip, looks like after 3 years I am on the right track. Glad to found this site.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:34 PM   #23
chad53916
chad53916 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1996 SC2

It's weird what can affect idle. I notice, even when in neutral the engine will idle high until I come to a complete stop. And when I had the wheels off the ground when changing my intake manifold gasket, I could turn the front wheel by hand and the idle speed would change slightly. Not sure if it's a friction thing in the trans or if it's a software thing.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chad53916's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chad53916 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chad53916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 12:56 PM   #24
SC2
SC2 is on a distinguished road

I’ve had time to change the ECTS over the holidays, the old one was cracked, not split open but cracks were visible. New one went in without a problem, reset the PCM by pulling out fuse B for about a minute. The new ECTS is registering higher temperatures, before at the quarter mark the engine was warmed up, now it climbs all the way to the 3/8 mark for warm-up. I can now see how a faulty ECTS can underreport operating temperature causing high idle and excessive fuel consumption. My fuel mileage shot back up to where it should be so I am very happy with this minor fix.

Second observation is that the cooling fan should kick on sooner, as the old ECTS was under reporting operational temperatures, I can see how the engine had to be hotter than normal to turn on the fan.

I was careful not to over tighten the new ECTS, but it was hard to determine whether the pressure came from the thread sealant or the ECTS being completely in. I did feel resistance all the way through and stopped when I started to feel more resistance. Nothing is leaking as I’ve checked, and I will keep an eye on the water level for the next few days. Say you over tighten the ECTS, would you only damage it, since it is made out of brass, or would the head threads be damaged as well.

I’ll try to report back if my “summer only” high idle returns.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #25
mytimeflies
mytimeflies is on a distinguished road

hi thanks for the great tip changed ects sensor with the help of the youtube video, car is running great i have an 94 sc2 with over 300k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mytimeflies's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mytimeflies reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mytimeflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #26
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

***SOHC Intake Manifold Gasket Repair Guide*** This guide was provided by RC1488.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=115925

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #27
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

*bump for people who don't use search*

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:07 AM   #28
Ecomike
Ecomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of light

2001 SL1

Has anyone that had these high idle problems, also had intermittent rough shifting problems with the transmission, 1-2 and 2-3 forward, and switching from forward to reverse?

Has anyone found an alternative source, reasonable cost new connector for the coolant temperature sensor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ecomike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ecomike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ecomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #29
saturn_babe
saturn_babe is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Silly question, but what is considered high Idle? When I'm just sitting there with the car running the rpm is at 1. Is that ok?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_babe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_babe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_babe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #30
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

PM Low Saturn for a replacement connector. He is a member here.

Transmission repair
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...nput+shaft+nut

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=112858

Read these threads and see how your symptoms fit into these descriptions. If you have a bad ECTS the trans will not be real happy and that may be most of your problem.

You may also have an intake manifold vacuum leak, it is a common problem on your year.

Welcome to the Forums!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-03-2011, 12:17 AM   #31
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn_babe View Post
Silly question, but what is considered high Idle? When I'm just sitting there with the car running the rpm is at 1. Is that ok?

Warm engine in neutral should be about 800. If you are at 1000 that will be a bit high.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 AM   #32
saturn_babe

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Warm engine in neutral should be about 800. If you are at 1000 that will be a bit high.
ohh ok... i'll have to pay more attention to it because that's when I 1st start it up and it's cold. But if it is still at 1 when warm, could it be something bad? The car runs good I think. It has 125k on it.

(you can tell I don't know much... but I'm a learning! Thanks!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_babe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-03-2011, 01:24 AM   #33
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
ohh ok... i'll have to pay more attention to it because that's when I 1st start it up and it's cold. But if it is still at 1 when warm, could it be something bad? The car runs good I think. It has 125k on it.

(you can tell I don't know much... but I'm a learning! Thanks!)
That is higher than normal for a fully warmed up vehicle. At full operating temperature (which should be right around 3/8 on the temp gauge) your idle should drop to 750-800 RPM while in neutral. This may be slightly higher if it's cold out and you are running the heat, especially if you have the heater fan cranked up.

If you aren't cranking the heat and the car is fully warmed up there is a chance either the ECTS is bad or the thermostat is bad. One causes the car to think it's not up to temp and tries to get it up to temp (the ECTS). The thermostat often sticks open when it fails, causing the car to take longer to get up to temp. That causes a proper working ECTS to try and correct the problem.

Either condition can also cause a drop in MPG. On the up side, both are cheap and easy fixes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 01:35 AM   #34
Ecomike
Ecomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of light

2001 SL1

Thanks!

My daughter bought an 01 SL1 from a friend of mine, our first. I am a jeep guy myself, with four 85-89's, but her new jobs is boocoup gobs of miles, and and the SL1 is 31 mpg around here. I hope the random high idle is TPS and ECTS and that it is causing the tranny problem now, other wise this new vehicle is going to be an early pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
PM Low Saturn for a replacement connector. He is a member here.

Transmission repair

Read these threads and see how your symptoms fit into these descriptions. If you have a bad ECTS the trans will not be real happy and that may be most of your problem.

You may also have an intake manifold vacuum leak, it is a common problem on your year.

Welcome to the Forums!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ecomike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ecomike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ecomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 02:21 AM   #35
OldNuc

1998 SC2

TPS is not usually the cause of a high idle condition that is consistent. This is real easy to check. When the high idle condition is occurring when the car is in park or neutral just turn it of and restart it without touching the gas. If that cures the high idle then it is a TPS issue and if not then it is something else. A consistent high idle is the 2001 SL-1 intake gasket leak problem and you fix it by replacing the intake gasket. The intake gasket leak is also found on some 99, 2000, and 2002 cars. A DIY job that takes the inexperienced about 4 hours. There is a detailed how to posted here. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ghlight=gasket

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-03-2011, 03:16 AM   #36
diplomat1
diplomat1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Thanks for the write up. Im just confused as to how i would check for vacuum leaks for a DOHC engine because in your post it says SOHC and not DOHC. Can i use the same method on a DOHC 94 sl2 engine? Thanks

Prince

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to diplomat1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help diplomat1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
diplomat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:48 AM   #37
quantumech
Advanced Member
quantumech is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by diplomat1 View Post
Thanks for the write up. Im just confused as to how i would check for vacuum leaks for a DOHC engine because in your post it says SOHC and not DOHC. Can i use the same method on a DOHC 94 sl2 engine? Thanks
The same method SHOULD work.

Sasha: 2000 SL1, Manual, cracked head Sept. 2014. Donated Dec. 2014

I learn from my experiences. If I screw up, I'm sorry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quantumech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quantumech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quantumech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:21 AM   #38
diplomat1
diplomat1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Coo imma try it tomorrow. Thanks guys

Prince

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to diplomat1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help diplomat1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
diplomat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 11:14 AM   #39
saturn_babe

1997 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
That is higher than normal for a fully warmed up vehicle. At full operating temperature (which should be right around 3/8 on the temp gauge) your idle should drop to 750-800 RPM while in neutral. This may be slightly higher if it's cold out and you are running the heat, especially if you have the heater fan cranked up.

If you aren't cranking the heat and the car is fully warmed up there is a chance either the ECTS is bad or the thermostat is bad. One causes the car to think it's not up to temp and tries to get it up to temp (the ECTS). The thermostat often sticks open when it fails, causing the car to take longer to get up to temp. That causes a proper working ECTS to try and correct the problem.

Either condition can also cause a drop in MPG. On the up side, both are cheap and easy fixes.
I was out this morning. It was 30 degrees. My idle with the car warm and heat off is still at 1000. And it stays the same with the heat full blast. My temp gauge was at 1/4 mark and doesn't go over that ever. So I guess it needs something. I'm thinking that throttle thing needs cleaning cause I was reading last night about the gas pedal getting hard to press sometimes and mine does that. Could that also cause slightly higher idle? Sorry for all the questions, but i appreciate the answers!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #40
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
I My temp gauge was at 1/4 mark and doesn't go over that ever. So I guess it needs something.
If your ECTS ($10) is good, then you need a thermostat ($25).

Either the ECTS is sending a bad signal that your engine is colder than it really is, or (due to failed thermostat) the engine really is colder than it should be. This tells the engine to add a little gas and idle a little faster to help your engine warm up to normal temps. Normal gauge reading for 96-02 should be around 3/8

Quote:
I'm thinking that throttle thing needs cleaning cause I was reading last night about the gas pedal getting hard to press sometimes and mine does that. Could that also cause slightly higher idle? )
Sticky gas pedal is likely a separate issue (throttle body, most likely, as you have already found)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote