SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-10-2008, 12:20 PM   #1
Spartus
Spartus is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Anyone using Rotella T or any other HDEO oil in their engine?

Right now I use MaxLife Semi-Synthetic 5w-30 in my girlfriend's '97 Saturn SL2. The car has about 166k miles and burns about 1-1.5 qts. every 1k miles.

It seems MaxLife is not at all slowing down consumption versus regular dino oil like Valvoline and Pennzoil.

I've done Auto-RX on the car about 30k miles ago.

I'm thinking of switching to a heavy duty oil such as Rotella T 10w-30 HDEO as these are more robust, resist burn off more and have a stronger additive package. Anyone using these? Anyone against these?

On a side note. The car does not have any visible smoke during the day while I drive. I did notice a few nights ago when it was dark and I had headlights behind me, that when accelerating hard, a lot of smoke was visible in the rear view mirror due to the headlight "fog effect" behind me. Is smoke during WOT and oil burning related? Is there a cure?

Please note, the car does not see many WOT run's. This was a one time thing to check for smoke at night since it is not visible during the day, after the car was fully warmed up, and WOT began going from 15 mph to 50 mph.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spartus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spartus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spartus is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2008, 12:58 PM   #2
Old95SL2
Old95SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1997 SL1
Default Re: Anyone using Rotella T or any other HDEO oil in their engine?

I used a 5 gal pail of HDEO over several oil change intervals in my 95 sl2 during the summer months a couple years ago. I couldn't tell much difference in oil usage, but no apparent adverse effects either. I haven't found any cheap deals on it lately (I got that one pail for $2 after rebate) but I'd run it again if I could find a sale.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Old95SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Old95SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old95SL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

The best stuff I've found so far for oil consumption vs cost (assuming you can get it for $2/quart - it may be higher now) is Pennzoil yellow bottle 5W20. I know this sounds counter-intuitive but that's based on a 4000 mile OCI with one quart consumed. (My Sat is a 97 SOHC with 134,000 miles).

Over on BITOG there's a guy named Dr. A E Haas who has presented a theory that thin oils actually seal better at the ring / piston / cyl wall interface.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

I've been using Rotella-T 5w-40 for a while now. It's not cheap but, I like the extra detergents. It claims to be synthetic but, it's not really PAO. It's group III oil. Still good stuff.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:27 PM   #5
Spartus

1997 SL2

I am a member at BITOG and have read A E HAAS' theory. I wonder if the 5w-20 is safe to use in our engines that are spec'd for 5w-30. I also assume you see an increase in gas mileage with 5w-20?

The Rotella T I was referring to is regular 10w-30 dino commonly found at WalMart for ~$9 per gallon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Spartus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartus View Post
I am a member at BITOG and have read A E HAAS' theory. I wonder if the 5w-20 is safe to use in our engines that are spec'd for 5w-30. I also assume you see an increase in gas mileage with 5w-20?

The Rotella T I was referring to is regular 10w-30 dino commonly found at WalMart for ~$9 per gallon.
If you read Haas then you saw his mention of flow being critical. Worn oil pumps suffer from low flow. If the flow is good then 5w-20 will work. I would experiment with a PAO synthetic if I wanted to do that though. Buy a bit of engine insurance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:37 PM   #7
Muskas_Daddy
Muskas_Daddy is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
I've been using Rotella-T 5w-40 for a while now. It's not cheap but, I like the extra detergents. It claims to be synthetic but, it's not really PAO. It's group III oil. Still good stuff.
I tried this too for about 4 oil changes in the early summer and it made my lifters clack something nasty for the first 10 minutes... plus some bearing knock at startup and just overall too noisy. Even though it's a synthetic 5w40 it still bogged the oil pump at startup too. Oil consumption of 2 quarts every 2,500 miles was unchanged since it thins out when up to temp.

Diesel oils are formulated differently and gasoline oils are not typically recommended for use in diesels either.

If your engine is a bit loose and your car likes it great... just be careful.

My 'Lil Mule
1999 SW2 5spd Cali LEV
Sleeping since 12/13/08
Failed headgasket @ 306,300 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Muskas_Daddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Muskas_Daddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Muskas_Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:45 PM   #8
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

If I'm not mistaken, all the Rotellas are classified as fleet oils and okay to use in either one. I've put that oil in 5 Saturns and not experienced any of the problems you mentioned. YMMV though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-10-2008, 07:02 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskas_Daddy View Post
Diesel oils are formulated differently and gasoline oils are not typically recommended for use in diesels either.
The amount of zinc, phosphorus and the TBN is higher in a diesel rated oil. You can run the "Cx" rated oils in a gas engine but do not run "Sx" rated oils in a diesel unless the oil has a dual "Sx/Cx" rating.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:55 PM   #10
bygblok
bygblok is on a distinguished road

the only thing I ever heard bad about running a Rottella type oil in a gas motor was the detergent package is very aggressive and can cause problem on an older motor as it loosens up the phlegm inside. If the motor is pretty clean I can't see where it would cause any other problems at all. I'll stay with my regular oil for now. Uses to much to worry about a full synthetic...I'd just be burning more money!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bygblok's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bygblok reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bygblok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 10:59 PM   #11
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Right now I use MaxLife Semi-Synthetic 5w-30 in my girlfriend's '97 Saturn SL2. The car has about 166k miles and burns about 1-1.5 qts. every 1k miles.
Did the car have the Saturn TSB recommended valve guides and/or piston rings replaced? When mine was consuming oil beyond what Saturn considered "normal", I had a consumption test done and the valve guides and piston rings were replaced. That reduced oil consumption to the "normal" amount depending on how hard I drove the car and revved the engine. I only use 5W-30

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 11:12 PM   #12
TwinRevver
Advanced Member
TwinRevver is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL1

I used M1 Clean 5000 w/o issues and slowed it down quite abit. Later on used Pennzoil 5w-30 or 10w-30/40 dino No syth. here I personally dont like syth and extra cost is only justified in a corvette or something like that....

now with problems and getting a newer car but not a saturn :(
My 95 SL2 white top of the line car Priceless..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TwinRevver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TwinRevver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TwinRevver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:21 AM   #13
Spartus

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2 View Post
Did the car have the Saturn TSB recommended valve guides and/or piston rings replaced? When mine was consuming oil beyond what Saturn considered "normal", I had a consumption test done and the valve guides and piston rings were replaced. That reduced oil consumption to the "normal" amount depending on how hard I drove the car and revved the engine. I only use 5W-30

I don't think the TSB was done. Is this something the dealer would do for free?
I assume not since this is not a recall.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2008, 11:14 AM   #14
BarnOwl

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
I don't think the TSB was done. Is this something the dealer would do for free?
I assume not since this is not a recall.
A TSB does not equal a recall. They would do it free under the warranty but, given that the newest s-series out there is 6 years old, you aren't going to get it done under warranty.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2008, 11:15 AM   #15
strutter
strutter is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

i use rotella T 5w30 synthetic in my daughters '95. i started using it after doing an MMO soak. i did notice a reduction in oil consumption. though i cant say if it was due to the oil, the MMO soak or her driving habits. my main reason for going with this oil was the extra detergents in it. but still i can tell how aggressively she's been driving by the amount of oil i have to top off each week. if she babies it i don't have to put any in at all. but if she's doing a lot of WOT 1-1 1/2 quarts is common.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to strutter's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help strutter reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
strutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #16
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

Quote:
I wonder if the 5w-20 is safe to use in our engines that are spec'd for 5w-30. I also assume you see an increase in gas mileage with 5w-20?
Well it didn't blow up in 4000 miles, so I assume it's OK.
As for as gas mileage, my view is that the difference is too small to notice.
If anything, the mileage went down, but that was because warmer temps meant more A/C usage, which IS a big influence - sometimes 2 or 3 mpg out of 35.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 12:58 PM   #17
BarnOwl

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by strutter View Post
i use rotella T 5w30 synthetic in my daughters '95. i started using it after doing an MMO soak.
Where do you get Rotella T 5w-30? I've only found 5w-40.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #18
bobfather99
bobfather99 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL1

Rotella???

Whats not to love??

Its a Group III synthetic loaded with cleaning agents and acid dispersants, designed for heavy-duty use in the hardest working engines.

If it works for a KW or Freightliner, it'll work in a Satty 1.9.

The dino 15w40 works great as well, and for the same reason.
Maybe you can mix 2 qts 5w20 and 2 qts 15w40 and make a "winter blend"??

94 Blue SL1 RIP Thanks to a Drunk Uninsured Driver
95 White Bonneville w/190k

Soon Ill be back in Saturnland.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobfather99's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobfather99 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobfather99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:34 PM   #19
virnin
Advanced Member
virnin is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2
1995 SL2

Regarding the "smoke" at WOT. The DOHC runs pretty rich at WOT because it is in "open loop" and the PCM maps tend to be rich in that mode. You could be seeing smoke caused by unburnt fuel. Burning oil is medium to light gray, unburnt fuel is dark gray to black. Coolant is nearly pure white.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to virnin's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help virnin reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
virnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:04 PM   #20
Spartus

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl View Post
Where do you get Rotella T 5w-30? I've only found 5w-40.
I think he meant Rotella T 10w-30. Shell does not make 5w-30 in the Rotella T flavor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!