SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2008, 09:47 AM   #1
paulff3
paulff3 will become famous soon enoughpaulff3 will become famous soon enough

Default headlight bulb replacement

Has anyone replaced their headlight bulbs? I do not believe the manual gives any information on doing this.

Thanks, Paul

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulff3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulff3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member
OPEL Blitz is on a distinguished road

Default Re: headlight bulb replacement

Page 269
http://www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/static/...raJuly2007.pdf

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OPEL Blitz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OPEL Blitz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OPEL Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 11:54 AM   #3
paulff3

Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help paulff3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-30-2008, 06:56 AM   #4
KimballGCole
KimballGCole is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPEL Blitz View Post
Blitz

As usual you come up with some sterling material. You guys on the other side of the pond get much better documentation then the dumbed down crud that GM feeds us over here in NA. Thanks ane keep up the great posts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KimballGCole's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KimballGCole reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KimballGCole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:18 AM   #5
cschmidt1956
cschmidt1956 is on a distinguished road

Blitz,

THANK YOU! That PDF file really shows the difference in what Europe believes what a Car Owner can do and how GM thinks an American Driver can do.

It's an eye opener to be sure.

2010 Chevrolet Camaro LT2/RS V6
2008 Saturn Astra XR 3 Door - Sapphire Black (Gone but NOT forgotten!)
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee, Brilliant Black Metallic
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GLS, Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cschmidt1956's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cschmidt1956 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cschmidt1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
paulff3

Has anyone put better bulbs in their car? Like SilverStar Ultra? Looks like an H4 bulb. American manual does not give the specification of the bulb.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-30-2008, 11:17 AM   #7
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member

You're welcome, Vauxhall is useful sometimes, Opels webmaster seems to think everyone speaks german!

Bulbs are H7 and H1. I'm having trouble figuring out which one is which and I dont want to go outside because it's wet so you'll have to find out yourself. Dipped beam should be H7.

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

Last edited by OPEL Blitz; 09-30-2008 at 11:31 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OPEL Blitz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #8
Rondosa
Rondosa will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

The headlight bulbs for the Saturn Astra are 9005

And yes, I have installed different bulbs - a full HID kit actually, here's the thread: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125751

K

Kristina
'08 3-door manual, Salsa Red
Premium Trim Package, 18" Wheels
Advanced Audio Package
28% Tint, 5000K HID kit, Sport pedals

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rondosa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rondosa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rondosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:13 PM   #9
OPEL Blitz
Advanced Member

Bah weird yank bulbs

2007 OPEL Astra Diesel

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-30-2008, 12:22 PM   #10
Rondosa
Rondosa will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by OPEL Blitz View Post
Bah weird yank bulbs

I know! I think it's also known as an HB3. The foglights (front) are H10.

I took our taillights out just to peek, and we have a few empty sockets back there, specifically the rear foglights. It's not even wired for it in the harness, so we can't even plug in a bulb and add a switch. Bummer!

K

Kristina
'08 3-door manual, Salsa Red
Premium Trim Package, 18" Wheels
Advanced Audio Package
28% Tint, 5000K HID kit, Sport pedals

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Rondosa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Rondosa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Rondosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 02:32 AM   #11
hrb5711
hrb5711 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulff3 View Post
Has anyone put better bulbs in their car? Like SilverStar Ultra? Looks like an H4 bulb. American manual does not give the specification of the bulb.
I put in slyvania silverstar ultras tonight, 9005. It was a bit of a hassle getting them in, I needed my wife's small hands for parts of it. After that they work like a charm.

You can compare these to what your lights look like and see if the $30 and about 15 min of work is worth it. I also felt a lot more comfortable when I saw the stock bulbs are Slyvania also. So I trust they will last just as long as the stock ones should.

If you have any questions about how to install let me know. I should be doing my other ones this weekend.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCF9046.JPG (55.8 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg DSCF9049.JPG (35.7 KB, 228 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hrb5711's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hrb5711 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hrb5711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 07:23 AM   #12
Twitch
Twitch is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrb5711 View Post
I put in slyvania silverstar ultras tonight, 9005. It was a bit of a hassle getting them in, I needed my wife's small hands for parts of it. After that they work like a charm.

You can compare these to what your lights look like and see if the $30 and about 15 min of work is worth it. I also felt a lot more comfortable when I saw the stock bulbs are Slyvania also. So I trust they will last just as long as the stock ones should.

If you have any questions about how to install let me know. I should be doing my other ones this weekend.
Is that outer bulb only for daytime running light? I just noticed they are very yellow compared to the stock lights.

2008 Saturn Astra XR 3-door
2001 Ford Mustang GT
1990 Mazda MPV
1988 Mercedes-Benz 560SEL
1981 Mercedes-Benz 300SD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Twitch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Twitch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Twitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:53 AM   #13
paulff3

How's the lighting from the new bulbs?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #14
hrb5711

2008 Astra XR

Yes the outer bulb is day time running lights. I should be throwing new bulbs in those tonight or this weekend.

The light quality is much better. I didn't notice it to much driving on city streets that are well lit. On the interstate and in housing areas is where I noticed it a bunch. It is much brighter and a larger area is covered. The beam pattern wasn't messed with either, nor the aim of the headlights.

I think the Slyvania pack said it would improve like 100% with 50% area etc...I didn't notice that big of a difference, but you can tell.

I think an easy thing like changing out the bulbs this way could be a little bit for looks. Don't think this is anything near HIDs. This is a "fake" alternate that gets you about 50% of the way. It is an improvement though.

I don't personally like HIDs that much, but I wanted my lights to look better and work better. This was an excellent middle ground with the bulb replacement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hrb5711 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #15
titan12
titan12 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Yes the outer bulb is day time running lights. I should be throwing new bulbs in those tonight or this weekend.

The light quality is much better. I didn't notice it to much driving on city streets that are well lit. On the interstate and in housing areas is where I noticed it a bunch. It is much brighter and a larger area is covered. The beam pattern wasn't messed with either, nor the aim of the headlights.

I think the Slyvania pack said it would improve like 100% with 50% area etc...I didn't notice that big of a difference, but you can tell.

I think an easy thing like changing out the bulbs this way could be a little bit for looks. Don't think this is anything near HIDs. This is a "fake" alternate that gets you about 50% of the way. It is an improvement though.

I don't personally like HIDs that much, but I wanted my lights to look better and work better. This was an excellent middle ground with the bulb replacement.

Just changed mine to the Ultras.. Wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. If you do change the running light let me know which bulb you went with..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to titan12's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help titan12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
titan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 08:04 PM   #16
hrb5711

2008 Astra XR

I think those bulbs are either H1 or H3. If I get a chance to go to the store I am picking them up today, I am currently playing with something else I found in the car today....and something I got in the mail for it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-05-2008, 10:45 PM   #17
titan12

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
I think those bulbs are either H1 or H3. If I get a chance to go to the store I am picking them up today, I am currently playing with something else I found in the car today....and something I got in the mail for it.
thanks! I changed the fog lights to the Sylvania H10 Silver Star Ultra.. I really seen a improvement doing that.. And it looks good..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help titan12 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2008, 04:16 AM   #18
hrb5711

2008 Astra XR

Put up some pics. I wasn't going to change my fogs out, they looked good enough, let me see what they look like with new lights.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2008, 07:15 AM   #19
titan12

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Put up some pics. I wasn't going to change my fogs out, they looked good enough, let me see what they look like with new lights.

sure, get those for you tonight..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-06-2008, 03:57 PM   #20
SaturnRaycer
SaturnRaycer is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulff3 View Post
I did the SilverStar Ultras. 6 months and > 10k miles, still burning bright. The bulbs are 9005 (what would normally be high beam).

The drivers side is a little tight - expect scratches on the back of your hand. The passenger side was a piece of cake. Remove the airbox (<5 min) and there's all the room in the world.

In the US the outer bulbs are the "parking" lights. They come on only when the headlamps are on. During the day in "auto" or Off only the headlamps are on at 85% power. The bulbs are equivalent to 3157's (don't try 3156's - don't work). I replaced mine with LED's. Because the LED's draw less power, you have to put in a resistor so the system doesn't think the bulb is burned out - it will signal bulb out in the DIC and cut the power to the socket.

Rex
2008 Astra XR
5 dr, 5 spd, sport package
Black Sapphire

If you're going to wave, use all your fingers.

Last edited by SaturnRaycer; 10-06-2008 at 04:02 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnRaycer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnRaycer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnRaycer is offline   Reply With Quote