SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2008, 05:53 PM   #1
latestgood
latestgood is on a distinguished road

Default Do you ever need to recharge A/C?

Hello,

I have 2002 SL2. I feel that my a/c is not strong as it should. I don't think it's leaking. Would I ever need to recharge my a/c?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to latestgood's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help latestgood reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
latestgood is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2
Default Re: Do you ever need to recharge A/C?

If it is leaking, then the leak needs to be fixed and you will have to add gas. The R-134a is not human friendly and the A/C charge weight is critical. This is different that R-12 which has a reasonably wide band for adequate charge and is not toxic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:16 PM   #3
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1993 SL2

Sure. Nearly any system can develop a leak and lose a bit of charge over time. However, if there is a leak, simply recharging it doesn't fix the problem and will probably increase over time.

I'd recommend you "do the science" and find out if your system is putting out what it should before you worry about fixing it. I had the same feeling about my 7 year old SL that didn't seem cold enough.

Put my infrared thermometer to work and found that I was getting between 40 - 44 degree air out of the dash, which is pretty much what I got when it was brand new. Sticking a thermometer (assuming it goes low enough) right into the dash would work also.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Your question has a double answer; normally an a/c system should never need 'recharging' because its a sealed system. As sealed as your refrigerator except that we don't drive our refrigerators around!? Car a/c systems are subjected to the three most harmful elements contributing to the demise of these perfectly good systems; heat, cold, and vibration. There is the occasional crash we sometimes cannot avoid and I left this element out as contributing to loss of airconditioning. Unfortunately, when you feel a definite loss of cooling, the only result of this loss is that your a/c system has leaked out refrigerant requiring more than just recharging. At best, you may get away with the store refills and there are definitely some good outcomes but the majority are wasted efforts delaying the inevitable trip to a repair shop for professional work. There is a middle ground if you're at all comfortable with greasy hands; some basic information to understand the health of your a/c system. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80107

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:22 PM   #5
2003MercMaraude
2003MercMaraude is on a distinguished road

I have a regular cheapie meat thermometer that comes w/ a clip on tube, and it reads down below freezing. My dying compressor, which howls really bad while running, only gets the duct temps down around 50-60 deg. Insufficient refrigeration is not my problem at all though.

Rides:

2004 Ford Taurus SEL
2003 Mercury Marauder
1988 Chevy K1500
1976 Pontiac Firebird

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2003MercMaraude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2003MercMaraude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2003MercMaraude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 06:23 PM   #6
2003MercMaraude
2003MercMaraude is on a distinguished road

-- woops

Rides:

2004 Ford Taurus SEL
2003 Mercury Marauder
1988 Chevy K1500
1976 Pontiac Firebird

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2003MercMaraude's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2003MercMaraude reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2003MercMaraude is offline   Reply With Quote