SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2008, 02:02 PM   #1
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2
Default 00-02 SOHC Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement How-to

Description:
The following are instructions for how to change the intake manifold gasket on a 3rd generation SOHC S-series.

Tools needed:

10mm Deep dish socket
13mm Deep dish socket
13mm wrench
14mm wrench (Not Shown)
3/8 ratchet
Coolant (optional) (Not shown)
Jack and jack stands or other device to raise the car (Not shown)

Materials Needed:
Intake Manifold gasket (I got mine from Rockauto.com)

Time: (From car first into garage to exiting the garage): 3.5 hours

Common Symptoms of a bad intake gasket:
p0301
p0507
p0410

Verification of bad intake gasket:
Idle changed when brake cleaner was sprayed around gasket.

Safety:
1) Always wear gloves. Rubber gloves are ok, but mechanics gloves are preferred.
2) Wear safety glasses when under neath the car. Coolant is VERY harmful if it gets in your eyes. Coolant runs through the manifold will leak slightly as you remove the nuts.
3) Make sure engine is cold

Procedure:
1. Spray PB Blaster around all Intake Manifold bolts.

2. Remove the air deflector (optional). Makes #3 easier.

3. Drain the coolant. Coolant runs through the intake manifold so the coolant must be drained. There are two places to drain it from: the bottom passenger side of the radiator or the bolt on the water pump. See the How-to Library for instructions. May be a good time to replace thermostat and ECTS. You can either replace the coolant or save it and put it back into the car once you are finished with the operation.

4. Remove plastic tube from throttle body to Air box

5. Disconnect EGR Connector

6. Remove PCV and any hoses connected to plastic tub in #4

4. Remove nuts holding manifold to the head. Becareful to catch them as there are quite a few crevices they can land in and get stuck (trust me)

Top) The wrench pictured under Tools Needed is perfect for this job. You can use it to remove the top row of nuts with no issues. See below:

The wrench fits nicely between the throttle cable bracket so it does not have to be disconnected or removed

Bottom) The bottom row can be accessed easiest from under neath the car. Wear your goggles. They can be accessed from the top of the car with the 6' 3/8 extension however.

The bottom bolt on the driver side is BEST accessed from the top. A 3/8 extension with the deep dish socket allows the the ratchet to fit snugly behind the EGR. You can use your fingers going under neath the EGR to guide the socket over the nut.

This is the bottom drivers side bolt. This bolt is hidden from view from either orientation. The socket by itself lets the ratchet fit perfect.

8) Remove the fuel hose bracket
[

9) Remove the drive belt. 14mm wrench is needed (See Richpin's Videos for how)

10) Remove (2) 10mm bolts from Power Steering pump. The pump blocks the manifold from being pulled out enough. The 2 Bolts ONLY. The are located at 2 o'Clock and 4 o'clock positions. You do NOT need to remove the pump, just allow it to rotate upon the bottom bolt. Using a screw driver push the pump away from the head towards the fire wall. (From Richpings video its 4:22 to 6:57)

Notice pump in the way of the manifold. Also Notice the wrinkle in the gasket

11) Pull the Intake Manifold away from head. You are NOT removing it from the bay. You just want it past the bolts enough to pull the old gasket it out. A screw driver here to hold the manifold away as you pull the gasket out is needed

13) Remove gasket

14) Inspect the old gasket and the mating surfaces of the head and the manifold making sure they are clean. Carb cleaner is always helpful.

Notice there is a piece missing from the old gasket at the bottom right. Its VITAL there is none of the old gasket left on the head or manifold. Or the new gasket can leak and youll be doing this again

Installation:
-Reverse above directions. Be CAREFUL when installing the new gasket. Take your time and do it right. It is quite fragile and can bend or rip.

-I torqued by the manifold nuts to 22ft/lbs. I do NOT have a manual for the third gen however based off past generations this torque did not change

-Sequence:
8415 Top
73269 Bottom

-Do not forget to refill your coolant after you tighten the drain plugs.

-If you have any DTC codes, reset the PCM with a scanner or remove the PCM B fuse for 1 min

As always post any questions during the operation in the forum for almost equivelant on site advice

Goodluck!

Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place

Last edited by rc1488; 03-26-2008 at 02:17 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rc1488's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2008, 03:06 PM   #2
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1
Default Re: 00-02 SOHC Intake Manifold Gasket Replacement How-to

Very well done!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 09:14 PM   #3
nivlem7
Advanced Member
nivlem7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Murray View Post
Very well done!
+1!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nivlem7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nivlem7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nivlem7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 01:04 AM   #4
rc1488
Master Member

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Thanks

NOTE: Torque for manifold to head nuts are 22ft/lbs

Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rc1488 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-28-2008, 09:56 AM   #5
Mr. Bill
Mr. Bill is on a distinguished road

Is it necessary to remove the serpentine belt before loosening the PS pump?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mr. Bill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mr. Bill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 12:02 PM   #6
rc1488
Master Member

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bill View Post
Is it necessary to remove the serpentine belt before loosening the PS pump?
Yes as the bolts are behind the pully. You can remove them by turning the crankshaft so the holes in the pully align up with the bolts, but your going to have to remove the belt anyway to push the pump away from the head.

So it makes sense to remove the belt first.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-28-2008, 12:18 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Moreover, you don't want the belt "tugging" on the pump while you're loosening / moving it. I suppose you could wind up the tensioner and pull the belt just off the P/S pulley, leaving it in place otherwise, then do the reverse on reinstallation. Would save you some trouble / skinned knuckles un-threading / re-threading the belt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:19 PM   #8
Mr. Bill
Mr. Bill is on a distinguished road

Finished mine in 2 hours and 20 minutes and the picture above of the OLD gasket......I'd swear that is the same gasket that came out of mine, no lie, it looks identical. Fold just to the lower left of the #1 port (far right hole in picture) just above the second lower tab hole and the bottom far right ear torn off. Now I gotta ask, and I haven't seen any explanation posted in any other forum concerning this problem, as to why this happens or what causes it? I can't believe that the factory would have installed that many gaskets incorrectly. Is there a design flaw somewhere in the manifiold that is causing it? Not enough torque on the bolts? Plus that factory gasket is a piece of crap too. About the thinnest one I have ever seen. My car now runs like new and the idle is back down to 800 and the miss is gone. When I did the Brakleen test on mine, it made no difference so I was hesitant to pull the intake, but after seeing where the gasket is screwed up, I probably didn't spray in just the right area which would be closest to the end of the manifold towards the power steering pump.

I'd also add to the above instructions to also disconnect the battery first as well since you have to work behind the alternator and I also pulled the hood off the car which makes it WAY easier to work on it.

Also, if that many cars have/develop this problem, why hasn't there been a TSB from Saturn? Seems like there should have been one for this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mr. Bill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mr. Bill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mr. Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 08:03 PM   #9
nivlem7
Advanced Member
nivlem7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Now I gotta ask, and I haven't seen any explanation posted in any other forum concerning this problem, as to why this happens or what causes it? I can't believe that the factory would have installed that many gaskets incorrectly. Is there a design flaw somewhere in the manifiold that is causing it?
The story I heard is that the robot putting them in got lazy/incalibrated or something. You mentioned that it looked like the picture of another one. As far as I know, the problem always shows up in that area. A wrinkle near #1 cylinder.

Quote:
Also, if that many cars have/develop this problem, why hasn't there been a TSB from Saturn? Seems like there should have been one for this.
That's a good question. I imagine they know about it, but since most people don't see this problem until 70k or so, which would be well out of the warranty period, they're under no obligations. At least, I don't think so.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nivlem7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nivlem7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nivlem7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 12:58 PM   #10
c5f8
c5f8 has a spectacular aura aboutc5f8 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

My brother's 2002 SOHC engine had the p0507 service engine light. I bought the Fel-pro gasket from Napa. I followed these instructions to solve the problem. I found the same wrinkle in the gasket as shown.

I had one suggestion. Instead of using a 3/8 drive 13mm deep socket, I used a 3/8 drive 13mm semi-deep socket. The shorter socket allows a torque wrench to tighten the upper nuts correctly.

Thanks for the write-up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to c5f8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help c5f8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
c5f8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
intercessor
intercessor is on a distinguished road

You would think that once the gasket is replaced it shouldn't leak again. My brother's 02' SL1 was replaced at 49k, 79k (by saturn dealer) and now 1st cyl. misses again. 3 gaskets in 100k miles?

I know a cross post

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to intercessor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help intercessor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
intercessor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 12:22 AM   #12
c5f8
c5f8 has a spectacular aura aboutc5f8 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SC1
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

You need the Fel-pro gasket from Napa. Look at the thickness difference.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to c5f8's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help c5f8 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
c5f8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 09:25 AM   #13
DaMule
DaMule is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post
9) Remove the drive belt. 14mm wrench is needed (See Richpin's Videos for how)

10) Remove (2) 10mm bolts from Power Steering pump. The pump blocks the manifold from being pulled out enough. The 2 Bolts ONLY. The are located at 2 o'Clock and 4 o'clock positions. You do NOT need to remove the pump, just allow it to rotate upon the bottom bolt. Using a screw driver push the pump away from the head towards the fire wall. (From Richpings video its 4:22 to 6:57)
I'm getting ready to follow your procedure, and I would like to watch these videos first. I found Richpin's videos on YouTube, but I'm not sure which you're referring to here. Can you give the title of the correct video?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DaMule's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DaMule reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DaMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #14
rc1488
Master Member

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Drivebelt:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=5_xjom6bIoA

Power Steering:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ACKfwBBIM08

Videos provided by Richpin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-03-2008, 11:00 AM   #15
rc1488
Master Member

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc1488 View Post

This is the bottom drivers side bolt. This bolt is hidden from view from either orientation. The socket by itself lets the ratchet fit perfect.
Correction!

This is the bottom Passengers side bolt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #16
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

Geez, looks like a lot of work, I hope the robot was reprimanded! [couldn't you just smear some RTV around the offending port, to seal it?] Just kidding.

So this problem doesn't show up on 2nd gen cars?
"I got that going for me, which is nice"

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:38 PM   #17
eftekar
eftekar is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Safety:
1) Always wear gloves. Rubber gloves are ok, but mechanics gloves are preferred.

Listen to this advise, or this could happen to you!!

I did not even know I cut myself until the wife pointed out the gushing blood. It bled for hours and would not stop until I got it stitched up.

Anyway, the job was pretty straight forward. Knowing exactly which bolts to remove the PS pump took some time, and the gasket would not remove in 1 or 2 pieces... it stuck in several locations, so I had to work with a razor blade to scrape it off.
The manifold was also difficult to pull away far enough to remove/replace the gasket without damage - just need another inch between the block and firewall.

I stripped one nut which will not tread back on, so I need to swing by the dealer and pick one up... so I started Saturday around 3:30 and will not finish until Monday after work! So much for a 2 1/2 hour job

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eftekar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eftekar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eftekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #18
quantumech
Advanced Member
quantumech is on a distinguished road

2000 SL1

Hi guys, I'm about to tackle this beast sometime this week, along with the thermostat and radiator hose replacement (folks at Firestone put the cap on my surge tank while hot after replacing the ECTS for (was not anywhere near home when the code came up), flattened them out ...just playing it safe).

I just wanted to make sure that when torquing the nuts back on the manifold that I'll be delivering the amount that I intend to if I'm using a universal joint to get the socket in there. Is there a correction that I'm going to need to make? This is the most complicated DIY project I've needed to do, and just want to make sure I'm going to be OK.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quantumech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quantumech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quantumech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 05:40 AM   #19
rc1488
Master Member

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by quantumech View Post
Hi guys, I'm about to tackle this beast sometime this week, along with the thermostat and radiator hose replacement (folks at Firestone put the cap on my surge tank while hot after replacing the ECTS for (was not anywhere near home when the code came up), flattened them out ...just playing it safe).

I just wanted to make sure that when torquing the nuts back on the manifold that I'll be delivering the amount that I intend to if I'm using a universal joint to get the socket in there. Is there a correction that I'm going to need to make? This is the most complicated DIY project I've needed to do, and just want to make sure I'm going to be OK.
Im not quite sure, but as noted by the how-to, I never used a universal. I dont think that any correction factor is that high that it needs attention though. Good luck!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-10-2009, 12:03 AM   #20
Nikey
Nikey is on a distinguished road

I have done a lot so far-I replaced the ects/the idle control sensor/
cleaned the throttle body valve/cleaned the egr/replaced the throttle body gasket-did the intake manifold gasket replacement last-it was brittle and came off in 3 sections-saw the wrinkle everyone mentions-it was a hell of a job-wasn't 2.5 hrs I'd like to see that lol-only if you have done this before it can be-but for my first time and the tools I had- it was a long one..The car runs a lot better/much smoother-in fact the idle goes pretty low where it will flutter a bit while in park but hey better than running real high rpms..I will say
you should have semi long sockets and long ones ..The top and bottom are
not same to get to room wise-expect tired arms/body -you will be getting up
and down a lot-have fun with the belt /my 3rd time putting that back on-Best way is to do from top-get wrench on use left hand to push out and use right to put belt over the alt pulley-use Jack stands while working I wouldn't trust a jack only..Well only things left to do is use sea foam to clear the gunk I could see in the manifold that u cannot get to since u have maybe 2-3 inches to work with when you put new gasket on..I also plan on changing the hi performance spark plugs I put in 6 months ago -putting in NGK copper plugs ..This is a 99 Saturn with 141k miles...Good luck to other 1st timers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nikey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nikey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nikey is offline   Reply With Quote