SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2007, 07:12 AM   #21
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Help Help Help Pleeeeeeease!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Sc2 View Post
I know I need brakes as well. But if ^that were the case, wouldnt it only happen when i hit my brakes? because it doesnt generally happen when i hit my brakes!!
Oddly enough no. I've had them make noise when they aren't being hit. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Some do and some don't. What's weird is that the ones that make noise when you aren't hitting the brakes seem to quiet down when you do. If you need brakes, I'd say do that first. It's cheap and you need it anyway.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #22
jerry dye
jerry dye is on a distinguished road

more metal removed = less metal to contact? and as for longer you drive it, is that per trip, or over a period of time, while moving down the road, the engine will move around to different positions, in relationship to the amount of torque being put on the rest of the mounts, therefore at 55 mph hours, if you're not getting on it, there will be very little noise.let us know how you come out at the mechanics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jerry dye's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jerry dye reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jerry dye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:24 PM   #23
Red Sc2
Red Sc2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Welllll, My mechanic says the sound doesnt sound like bearings or my axle, however there was no scraping on the frame or anywhere else he could see. As for the remark I made earlier, The sound gets more tolerable (it seems) the warmer the car gets. And it almost seems to disappear the longer I drive the car(Each trip) but it has gotten worse(over the last two weeks in general). I should be getting the new motor mount in a few days... THINK THAT WILL DO IT????????

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Red Sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Red Sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Red Sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 11:39 PM   #24
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
I should be getting the new motor mount in a few days... THINK THAT WILL DO IT????????

Probably not.

Is it possible to record the sound and post it for us?

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 01:07 AM   #25
Red Sc2

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Probably not.

Is it possible to record the sound and post it for us?
Not until 2morrow. But Lowsat, if its not my upper mount... what else would make the grinding when the car is at a complete stop?? no bearings or axles are moving at that point, nor is the brake when im in neutral with my foot off all pedals.?

*I can upload something 2morrow most likely

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Red Sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2007, 01:40 AM   #26
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
what else would make the grinding when the car is at a complete stop??
Tensioner pulley bearing, power steering pump, and maybe idler pulley bearing.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2007, 12:46 PM   #27
Tbonedawg08
Advanced Member
Tbonedawg08 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Oh. Cool. I hope it wont cost much. Im a high school student working at I-HOP... This FRRRREAKIN CARRRR!!!!!
lol, understand. i'm a highschool student and i work at Toys R Us. just take it up to a dealer, or find a friend that might know something about cars and let them check it out

I'm just a normal car-crazy 17 year old...who is an intern at the police station. Trust me. That's saved me more than a few times
2002 SC2- 1.9L I4
2000 LS2- 3.0L V6
1993 1500 Silverado- 5.0L V8

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tbonedawg08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tbonedawg08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tbonedawg08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:57 PM   #28
Low Saturn

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbonedawg08 View Post
i'm a highschool student and i work at Toys R Us.
I worked for Toys R Us for almost five years. Every once and a while I'll go to the store I used to work at. As soon as I walk in the door, I say to myself, "I love my current job" That place sucked. And it wasnt so much the job itself or the people I worked with, it was the customers. It was a high volume store that got torn apart on a daily basis.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-30-2007, 01:02 PM   #29
jerry dye

i gotta agree, without a recording, we're just shooting the wind. with a good recording, it would help to make a more educated guess. try to use a recorder with a mic you can move around the engine in different areas, and make multiple recordings, then find the recording that best shows the noise, and post where you were holding the mic at the time. it will really help us to better diagnose the sound. if your upper mount is bad, go ahead and get it changed, as it will only add to your problems, and will also add to the noise. it may be that the metal pieces on the mount are touching, setting off a vibration amplified by the body parts, but again only a shot in the dark. but the mount would be my first move before i made any recordings, as you already know it is bad, and would only compound the noise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help jerry dye reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:01 PM   #30
Red Sc2

1995 SC2

unfortunately i cant record+upload the sound, but to describe it better, its a very distinct throbbing/grind............

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2007, 06:37 PM   #31
Red Sc2

1995 SC2

WWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! I finally got the motor mount fixed and the car rides GOLDEN!! No more rattles, no more grinding... It doesnt feel so cheap anymore!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #32
jerry dye

bad mounts will do some really amazing things, glad to help out!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!