SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 03:15 PM   #21
woowoo
woowoo is on a distinguished road

Start making extra payments!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to woowoo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help woowoo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-06-2002, 01:21 AM   #22
94sc293sl1
Advanced Member
94sc293sl1 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

LI 350--no problem! No harm, no foul.
Natasha--just out of curiosity, was the connecting rod bearing replaced recently, or was this done a while ago? I don't know if it makes any difference or not, but maybe it would.

Craig
Saturn owner no longer as of 12/21/05, sold my SC2.
www.insidetrackmagazine.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 94sc293sl1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 94sc293sl1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2002, 12:30 PM   #23
DarkAngel
DarkAngel is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

It was replaced 03/05/02 according to this history summary. I purchased the car on 04/02/02. I didn't notice the knocking until I without realizing it let the oil run low. A few weeks later. Strange huh?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DarkAngel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DarkAngel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2002, 12:48 PM   #24
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

That sounds very bad, and only one bearing was replaced. Rare that major engine problems like that don't really require a more thorough rebuild.

Sounds like a patch job on a sick patient.

Did you buy this car from a Saturn dealer? If so, they really need to consider doing something for you. Too many serious problems too quickly. Was this car just quick patched so they could shaft you with it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2002, 01:10 PM   #25
DarkAngel

1997 SC2

I don't really know I didn't think to check the history. I thought I could trust them. They evidently never checked the history on it either. Cuz they act dumb. I got a even trade. I owe nothing on the trade so I'm lucky there. I find myself wishing I had gotten a better car for my 2002 trade in. Sounds more like a soap opera now huh?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DarkAngel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2002, 02:13 PM   #26
BobL
Master Member

Kinda seems like it's time to go in there possibly with a friend or an attorney and lay it on the line to them.

The more problems you describe, the more it sounds like the dealer was quite aware that the vehicle you were being sold had several serious issues. Major engine work needed before sale normally makes a franchised dealer wholesale the unit out instead of selling it on their lot.

Especially interesting is the replacement of only one bearing, and now you have a new knock. What'd they do, just swap out the worst one? That's not the saturn way as I see it. An engine with problems like that needs to be thoroughly reconditioned or swapped with a late model used engine.

Perhaps a Bernzomatic torch firmly inserted in the dealer's orifice will result in the unwinding of this deal and a better car for you.

Sad to have to do it at a saturn dealer, but looks like you need a pre-purchase inspection on any used car done by your own mechanic.

This really sucks, Natasha. Maybe your salesman might get a little scared if you told him your real name was Lorena Bobbitt <grin>.

Good luck.

Last edited by BobL; 06-06-2002 at 02:20 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-06-2002, 02:34 PM   #27
DarkAngel

1997 SC2

Next time I'll wait for Walt my regular Dealer not Mike. I'll have to agree with you. I don't like to raise heck in a place I tend to visit often. But with these problems:
- Broken Sunroof moduale. One month ownership.
- Connecting Rod Bearing,
- Knocking
- and now possible over heating
Etc....
Fun huh...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-06-2002, 03:35 PM   #28
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line
Default no loss of oil

I purchased a 95 SL2 with 90k on it a few months ago. It currently has 102k on it, and I have noticed 0 loss of oil. Granted I have it changed every 2000 miles, but I also drive it all over the place, and often in excess of 4-5k rpms. I am glad I am not having oil issues, as my accord with 220k on it goes through a quart a week now. As a side note, upon purchase, I did a full tune up, including pcv k&n filter, platninum+4 plugs and wires fuel filter and new tires. For mods, aside from the K&N, I am running a custom ram air that feeds cold air from the grill straight up into the airbox, custom piping bent from the cat to a flowmaster muffler with welded tip. So far aside from a shot pcm temp sensor, everything has been great, and i do drive this car pretty hard.

Fingers are crossed..

2011 Audi TT (modified)
2007 Mercedes E550 (stock)
1999 Expedition (Stock)
2007 Ion Coupe (Daughters eventually)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Applefool's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2002, 08:15 AM   #29
BobL
Master Member

Natasha,

You don't need to be ugly, just firm and businesslike. Bring someone with you if it helps.

To put it simply, you were screwed. This car was a sick puppy and, since the dealer had already dug into the engine, they knew it.

If you have a warranty, you should be able to press for a full engine rebuild. However, in view of the other grief, the dealer might just find it smarter to let you select another vehicle in better condition.

Don't let them do this to you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Old 06-07-2002, 10:29 AM   #30
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Applefool: For your info: I did not begin to "use" oil until after 200,000 miles on my '95 SL2. I'm currently at over 306,000.

Luke

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2002, 10:39 AM   #31
Applefool
Master Member
Applefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura aboutApplefool has a spectacular aura about

2006 ION Red Line
Default nice

That sounds pretty good. Do you drive like an old person? Or can I expect similar results with my higher than average rpm driving habbits? Truth to tell I will just be happy to see my saturn make 200k miles ...

2011 Audi TT (modified)
1999 Expedition (Stock)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Applefool reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-07-2002, 02:28 PM   #32
DarkAngel

1997 SC2

Problem: I couldn't afford the warrenty at the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-08-2002, 10:15 AM   #33
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Applefool: I guess I do "drive like an old person" (but then I've been doing that since I was 20. I drive 125 a day, freeway, at 2500 rpm, 60 mph.

Luke
'95 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-08-2002, 05:58 PM   #34
Mark G
Mark G is on a distinguished road

Someone mentioned getting a Carfax report. I found, at leat for my car, that those reports are not accurate. I wrecked my Saturn about 3 years ago. I got a Carfax report on the car about a month ago since it was free, and the wreck was not on the report. Yes, the wreck was reported and I went through my insurance company to have the car fixed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mark G's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mark G reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-09-2002, 07:28 AM   #35
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

In my opinion, it sounds like the knock is related to the bearing job, having occurred so soon. If Saturn did the bearing job, they warrant parts and labor for 12 months/12k miles, so the fact you did not purchase a warranty should not matter. The failure may have just coincided with your running low on oil, maybe not. In either case, running 2 qts. low is a major feax paus, but only if it occurs over a reasonable amount of time. Saturn's guidelines are that 1 qt./2k miles is acceptable, so if you went through 2 quarts of oil in less than 4k miles, then they sold you a car which does not pass their own loose standards.

Also, it is extremely unorthadox to replace just one bearing. As long as the engine is torn apart, it is usually prudent to install a whole new set. But even this approach is a cost shortcut/bandaid. When a bearing gets spun, the bearing lining, which is made of a copper compound, is scraped off and free to circulate within the engine. When I spun a bearing, I had the choice to pay $500 for the installation of a crank kit, or $1000 for a rebuilt short block. Since I was not sure what caused the bearing failure, and that material was floating around inside, I opted for the rebuilt short block at 2x the price.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-10-2002, 12:28 AM   #36
DarkAngel

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally posted by Mark G
Someone mentioned getting a Carfax report. I found, at leat for my car, that those reports are not accurate. I wrecked my Saturn about 3 years ago. I got a Carfax report on the car about a month ago since it was free, and the wreck was not on the report. Yes, the wreck was reported and I went through my insurance company to have the car fixed.

How do I know my car was never wrecked? Thats krazy I'm the one that got the free carfax report. I can't believe that. I know there are other places online, or even other places to look but why wouldn't it be on there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-10-2002, 12:38 AM   #37
DarkAngel

1997 SC2

Heartbeat - '95 SL2--> You made a good point my boyfriend would agree with you and say the same thing. My question is as a different owner will parts (and labor) still be under warrenty? Just in case I have something to be concerned about they won't have any excuse to turn the cold shoulder. I do think its odd theyd didnt replace all four bearings. Thanks for your help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-10-2002, 06:33 AM   #38
Heartbeat - '95 SL2
Heartbeat - '95 SL2 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Some warranties, even "lifetime" ones, expire with change of ownership while others, like most new car warranties, do not. You'd have to read the fine print of Saturn's service warranties. But the point may be moot. I was under the impression that Saturn did the work while they owned the car on their used car lot, then sold it to you a month later. If that's the case, then the point is whether they extend that service warranty to you, or if they try to wiggle out of it by considering the bearing job a neccessity just to make the car operational and sellable, and then just cover the entire car for the usual Saturn used car warranty.

Regardless, I think it would be good to mention to them that they sold a car which burned through more oil than they state is acceptable (Saturn even stated the acceptable limit of 1 qt./2k miles on their website). If you purchased your car as a "certified" used car (generally under 60k miles), then the car is supposed to pass a battery of tests before it is sold.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Heartbeat - '95 SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Heartbeat - '95 SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-10-2002, 07:27 AM   #39
Applefool
Master Member

2006 ION Red Line
Default carfax..

My car has definitely been in an accident, and carfax shows it as clean.. I think I would refrain from using their services in the future as this is the second time I've used it on a car that has definitely been crashed, and in both cases they report nothing...

2011 Audi TT (modified)
1999 Expedition (Stock)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-10-2002, 11:35 PM   #40
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

As for carfax - maybe it depends on the percentage of damage relative to the car's value. Maybe under xx% damage, they don't report it?

I agree with all the comments about why they didn't go for all 4 bearings - replacing 1 is nonsense - unless the old ones were carefully inspected and measured.

Another question is who did the bearing replacement and who owned the car at the time? If the seller either knowingly made the repair and failed to disclose that repair history, you have some basis to go after the seller.

You don't say if the car was sold by a Saturn retailer - if so, there may be a decent warranty on the car yet.

And BobL said it right - you don't have to be obnoxious or loud, just firm, businesslike and perhaps a bit insistent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread