SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2004, 06:34 PM   #1
Capt Bruce
Capt Bruce is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L
Idea Easier Door Cladding Installation

My thanks to those who have offered advice on the door side cladding installation. Let me provide one more note that might make it easier still for someone doing this alone.
For some strange reason I could not talk my SO into getting out of the pool today in the 94 degree heat and working with me to install the cladding on the doors.

Having thought it through and after a dry run I saw why one of our forum members was going to take his cladding pieces off again and try to re-align them. (Cut through foam tape, peel off tape residue, buy new tape, try again. Insert the colorful curses of your choice between each step above. )

Aligning the pieces while trying to keep them up against the doors and peeling off the tape covering strips was going to be a three handed job any way I tried it during my dry-run. Norm Abrams of The New Yankee Woodshop said it best with "Measure twice, cut once."

SOLUTION: Blue painters masking tape to make hinges along the top of the cladding once the individual pieces are in the right spot. See photos in my gallery. This 3M tape has the advantage that no matter how hot the surface no adhesive residue gets left behind on your door panels.

Align the back door cladding piece tight back against the factory installed rear door molding and tight up against the botton of the door. Smooth on several pieces of tape making a sharp crease with your fingernal where the top edge of the cladding meets the door.

Check the position of the piece one more time all around. Then just rotate the bottom of the cladding up away from the door and peel off all the foam tape covering strips. Take care that the creased tape hinges are still tight to the door and bring the bottom edge down again until it slips into place under the door. Press firmly all along the three horizontal and two end area foam tape strips. One in place and three to go.

The front door cladding goes on the same way but you will probably want to add more tape hinges since it is longer and the final position with equal space at each end is even more critical. Working this way all four pieces were installed in about 1/2 hour. Hope this will prove helpful to my fellow Vue Forum members.
Fair winds,
Bruce

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Capt Bruce's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Capt Bruce reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-2004, 07:12 PM   #2
04SilverVue
Advanced Member
04SilverVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Like the tape door handle in the second picture! LOL I think if it is all that trouble I might just take it to the dealer for install.

04SilverVue
DFW, Texas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04SilverVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04SilverVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2004, 08:26 PM   #3
russellhome
russellhome is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally posted by 04SilverVue
Like the tape door handle in the second picture! LOL I think if it is all that trouble I might just take it to the dealer for install.
It's not that hard to do. It's just hard to undo if you mess up. I just have trouble paying a dealer to do something I can easily do myself. Plus, I think the owner takes special care to insure the surface is properly prepared and the cladding is properly lined up. It would be my luck my luck that some rookie at the dealer would put mine on and it would fall off a year later.

Capt. Bruce... "There's more than one way to skin a cat". That was a good idea -- I could not figure out how to safely do it myself and I managed to get some extra hands.

It looks good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to russellhome's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help russellhome reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2004, 08:39 PM   #4
saturn3
saturn3 is on a distinguished road

my worry is how long it will stay on, we have some bad weather in ohio

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2004, 08:48 PM   #5
04SilverVue
Advanced Member
04SilverVue is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

It is extremely durable. Tons of things are put on cars with the same 3M tape such as Logos, bumper strips, & even body panels. As long as you clean the area with alcohol first you should have no problems for along time.

04SilverVue
DFW, Texas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 04SilverVue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 04SilverVue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2004, 08:51 PM   #6
Capt Bruce

2005 VUE 2.2L

SATURN3,
Given the design Saturn provided for the cladding parts, with easy exit for any water or grit that might get behind the cladding and knowing 3M foam tape well I would not anticipate you'll have any problems with durability there in Ohio. I put some similar body accessories on an 80 VW Scirocco Sidewinder in Salem, OH and drove it around for the next ten years between there and Wellington, OH. And by the way that's putting it very politely when you say "some bad weather." That's why I writing from Georgia now where we don't get 2-3" of partly cloudy per day in the winter. Enjoy the Vue!
Bruce

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Capt Bruce reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-18-2004, 08:57 PM   #7
Capt Bruce

2005 VUE 2.2L
Happy

Quote:
Originally posted by 04SilverVue

Yeah,
Wasn't it nice of Saturn to design that door handle just to fit my tool of choice for this particular project. On my last car that would have been a roll of duct tape to hold everything in place as the Dodge rusted out due to Ohio salt in the winters.
Fair winds,
Bruce

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-19-2004, 12:43 AM   #8
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally posted by saturn3
my worry is how long it will stay on, we have some bad weather in ohio
I've got 2 Ohio winters under my belt with no issues.
When I install them at work, and on my own, I just pull all of the tape off, visualize it as well as use the lip on the bottom, and slap it on. So far, I have yet to mess one up.
~D.J.~

2012 Mercedes Benz C250 Sport Sedan
2008 smart fortwo Passion Coupe 8/28/2008 - 3/12/2012
2002 VUE FWD4m - Gone but not forgotten. 5/14/2002 - 10/31/2011

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OhioVueBoy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2004, 08:49 AM   #9
Capt Bruce

2005 VUE 2.2L

D.J.,
You're a braver man than I am to keep on facing Ohio winters . . . Just kidding (LOL, the company moved me down here and I had to leave a lot of good friends and colleagues behind up there in the Buckeye state)

You're also apparently have much steadier hands than I do if you can coordinate pulling off the tape liners, lineing up the cladding on the door and then pressing the pieces home with everything aligned correctly in three dimensions. More power to you Sir!
Fair winds,
Bruce

Last edited by Capt Bruce; 07-19-2004 at 08:54 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-19-2004, 10:31 AM   #10
OhioVueBoy
Master Member
OhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura aboutOhioVueBoy has a spectacular aura about

2002 VUE 2.2L

Once you have 2 or 3 under your belt, its rather easy. The trick is to stick your pinkies in between the door bottom and doorsill, and rock the cladding onto the door.
~D.J.~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OhioVueBoy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-19-2004, 04:09 PM   #11
Capt Bruce

2005 VUE 2.2L

Thanks again DJ. Good tip. By the way, how's Fremont doing after his time in the shop? Hope your restoration and further "improvents plan" is proceeding well after that whole OOOPPs affair that wet evening. Any new photos to go see?
Fair winds,
Bruce (former Buckeye, but not Golden yet)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-19-2004, 08:02 PM   #12
OhioVueBoy
Master Member

2002 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt Bruce
Thanks again DJ. Good tip. By the way, how's Fremont doing after his time in the shop? Hope your restoration and further "improvents plan" is proceeding well after that whole OOOPPs affair that wet evening. Any new photos to go see?
Fair winds,
Bruce (former Buckeye, but not Golden yet)
Well he's doing well other than the 5 large stone chips that were put on my 4 day old paint on the hood. I haven't had time to even start modding him yet - I am looking at getting a set of Michelin Pilot Sport LTX tires for him within a week or so - hopefully before Homecoming. Trying to pull the jetski up a wet ramp on my factory slicks was rather entertaining to my father.
I'll get some new photos up soon, nothing looks different other than my hood is orange peeled, the driver's fender isn't aligned to my satisfaction, and they didn't paint the underside of my hood at all like we origionally had spoken about. I have been working mass hours at R&R but when I get the chance to get over there you will be able to hear me ***** for a 1/4 mile.
~D.J.~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-13-2005, 05:28 PM   #13
rfulcher
rfulcher is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Easier Door Cladding Installation

Ok... just finished installing the cladding on my 04 V6 FWD Silver Nickel, and MAN what a difference it makes! Looks even better than I thought it would.

I have to send out some thanks to Capt. Bruce and OVB. I used a hybrid of their two procedures, freehanding the back door moldings, and 3M taping (yep, good ol' blue painter's tape!) the front ones as Capt. Bruce suggested. Absolutely flawless. Thanks, guys!

Off to put on the splashguards... (and yes, I did see the recommendation to take out additional pushpins).

-- Rob

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfulcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfulcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2005, 12:17 AM   #14
Capt Bruce

2005 VUE 2.2L
Thumbs Up Re: Easier Door Cladding Installation

RFULCHER,
Glad the blue tape trick was of some use to you during your cladding installation along with OVB's tip. I wasn't sure if the postings were still here to be reviewed. Again glad these two methods worked for you. I've been very happy that I put on the cladding on Piper as I see how much road crud collects there rather than getting into the door paint. Enjoy the Vue.
Fair winds,
Bruce

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2005, 03:50 PM   #15
Wray
Wray is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-2 Sedan

I see that Saturn Acc. is carring the clading again.
Time to put in an order and get a set.
Thanks for the tape idea .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2005, 04:15 PM   #16
Capt Bruce

2005 VUE 2.2L

Our pleasure Wray and welcome to the Vue Forum. Thanks for the note that the cladding sets are available again as a friend was looking for them a while back. Enjoy the Vue!
Bruce

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2005, 09:10 PM   #17
Wray

2004 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-2 Sedan

This afternoon I applied my door clading as Capt Bruce suggested.
What a difference in appearance it makes plus the added protection from chips it should add.
White Vue 04 V6 looks great.
Other acc. I have added are the front bug shield , side and rear window air
deflectors, mud shields and rear bumper gaurd.
The white and black look great. JMO
Get her cleaned up later and I will post some pics.

Thanks for the tip.
Wray

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-09-2005, 09:46 PM   #18
Capt Bruce

2005 VUE 2.2L

Hey Wray,
How'd you make out through Katrina? Hope you're still with us down there in LA. All the best
Bruce

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-09-2005, 10:05 PM   #19
Wray

2004 VUE 3.5L
2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Bruce
Hey Wray,
How'd you make out through Katrina? Hope you're still with us down there in LA. All the best
Bruce
Live up in the very NW corner of the state so hurricanes really dont figure in here except for the rain that spins off them.
Feel bad for the people down South And have to deal with the problems.
Hurricanes are a part of that part of the country and part of the life.
I wont live where there are large fires, mud slides or snow much less hurricanes. JMO
Get the tronados thought but never have seen one in my 50 year. Knock on wood.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wray's Reputation
Old 09-09-2005, 11:21 PM   #20
Capt Bruce

2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wray
Live up in the very NW corner of the state so hurricanes really dont figure in here except for the rain that spins off them.
Glad to hear you weren't in the path Wray. My step daughter just moved out there again to live and teach in Lafayette and she got away with only 2 inches of rain and some violent winds. Our hearts go out to all the Gulf Coast citizens.
Fair winds,
Bruce

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread