SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2017, 08:50 AM   #1
GA_AuraOwner
GA_AuraOwner is on a distinguished road

Default Should I get my Aura fixed or look for a new car?

Hi, I have a 2007 Aura XE with 122,753 miles on it. Last August I had to get a new steering pump, then a new rack and pinion in November, a new steering pressure line hose in December, and then I just had to get the oil filter housing and oil pan replaced/fixed due to them leaking. So in the last 10 months I've had to get just over $2,000 in repairs on the car. When it was looked at in March the mechanics also said that the water pump is leaking and will need to be replaced, and that I need new shocks and struts. This would be around another $1,500 to $2,000 in repairs. I've already had the water pump replaced once after the first one failed.

My concern is that I will get the repairs done and I will still continue to have issues. A friend who works on cars says that it looks like there is an issue with the A/C components and that that could go out soon. Would it be better to just go out and get a used Honda or Toyota than hope that the Saturn doesn't have any major issues after putting in repairs for more than double what it's worth?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GA_AuraOwner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GA_AuraOwner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GA_AuraOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Should I get my Aura fixed or look for a new car?

Are you able to compare projected operating costs for Honda's or Toyota's and throw in equivalent repairs without specific histories to each model if you choose to buy one of them? With so many variables, there's a possibility of trading one set of car maintenance for another without realizing costs. Most costs are saved if diy, not if relying on a trusted repair shop. Less if a less than honest repair shop is used. Vehicles always depreciate and require maintenance as they age no matter who makes them. With long term ownership, a vehicle without payments still costs money but may have less operating costs; insurance and upkeep. It all depends on your perspective of you sit down and weigh everyday costs with projected expenses compared to unknown vehicles without a comprehensive history to compare future costs. The value of vehicles become less important as much as reliable transportation unless other means of transportation and considered and giving up a personal vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:56 AM   #3
GA_AuraOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Are you able to compare projected operating costs for Honda's or Toyota's and throw in equivalent repairs without specific histories to each model if you choose to buy one of them? With so many variables, there's a possibility of trading one set of car maintenance for another without realizing costs. Most costs are saved if diy, not if relying on a trusted repair shop. Less if a less than honest repair shop is used. Vehicles always depreciate and require maintenance as they age no matter who makes them. With long term ownership, a vehicle without payments still costs money but may have less operating costs; insurance and upkeep. It all depends on your perspective of you sit down and weigh everyday costs with projected expenses compared to unknown vehicles without a comprehensive history to compare future costs. The value of vehicles become less important as much as reliable transportation unless other means of transportation and considered and giving up a personal vehicle.

Thank you. What you wrote is what's been going through my head for a few weeks now, almost exactly, but I don't think I could have said it so well. I did post the question here to also get other Aura owners' opinions on the reliability overall of the Aura past 125,000 miles. Maybe I've had bad luck, but maybe compared to other cars, the Aura is generally more unreliable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help GA_AuraOwner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-17-2017, 07:07 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA_AuraOwner View Post
......2007 Aura XE with 122,753 miles on it. Last August I had to get a new steering pump, then a new rack and pinion in November, a new steering pressure line hose in December, and then I just had to get the oil filter housing and oil pan replaced/fixed due to them leaking. So in the last 10 months I've had to get just over $2,000 in repairs on the car.
From another non-Aura Saturn owner, and a former mechanic and aftermarket auto parts counterman, the replacement of the three steering system components in such a short period of time is highly unusual for any make of car. Unfortunately, the oil leak repair got piled on top of it and only served to make things more costly. All of this, however, is a matter of (bad) timing IMO.

Quote:
When it was looked at in March the mechanics also said that the water pump is leaking and will need to be replaced........ I've already had the water pump replaced once after the first one failed.
How long ago was the water pump replaced? What was the warranty on that service work, or on the water alone if labor is no longer warranteed?

Quote:
and that I need new shocks and struts. This would be around another $1,500 to $2,000 in repairs......
At ten years of service life it's quite typical that the struts require replacement. This is simply a matter of maintenance. Once this is done the struts won't be replaced again for another 8 to 10 years, and there are four aftermarket brands which offer lifetime warranties. (Bad struts which are left in service too long can cause damage to your tires resulting in premature tire replacement.)

Quote:
A friend who works on cars says that it looks like there is an issue with the A/C components and that that could go out soon.
Can you tell us what the "issue" is with the car's A/C which suggests to this friend that it "could go out soon?"

322,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 06:35 AM   #5
GA_AuraOwner

Thank you. The steering system stuff was kind of weird. It had had steering problems for a month or two until I took it in. That's when they replaced the steering pump. Then it started leaking fluid within a few weeks. My mechanic actually closed after 20 years so then I had to find a new one.

The water pump was replaced in the summer of 2011, so I don't think there's any warranty still on it. The struts thing makes sense and is something that I will consider more like replacing the brakes or the tires, a maintenance thing, rather than a repair.

As I was typing out the thing about the A/C I realized I didn't ask for much more information. I remember him mentioning some reason why but I can't really remember for sure though.

From what you're saying it seems like it wouldn't be a bad idea to get the repairs/maintenance done. I've just been a bit fearful that things will continue to pop up and feel like I'd keep paying for repairs, and wouldn't know when to cut my losses. This gives me a bit more of an idea that I'm being a little too "chicken little" about this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

To whatever extent possible, I want my remarks to be useful. My point of view was based on considerations from having been in repair related work. You are correct, of course, in that none of us can know what to expect with regard to future automotive repairs. I hoped to offer an alternative way of thinking about your situation.

Ultimately, each of us have to be satisfied that we're making the best and most informed decision possible​ and be happy with it. Whether you keep the Aura or replace it, I wish you the best with either choice.

322,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #7
gpartrid
Advanced Member
gpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the roughgpartrid is a jewel in the rough

2008 AURA XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Don't feel bad, OP. I can relate on every level.

I've only got ~50k miles on my XR and have sunk ~$2,400 into her over the past 8 months (albeit half of that was for dealership labor). New turn signal stalk, new front bushings and struts and one or two other things at the dealer.

Good luck with the repairs.

2008 AURA XR
Ocean Mist
Sunroof
Loaded!
Built: 07/19/07

2008 SKY RL
Silver Pearl
Black on Black
6 Disc w. Monsoon
Chrome Wheels
4 Pedals
GMPP Turbo Upgrade & CAI
Built: 09/20/07

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gpartrid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gpartrid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gpartrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 11:11 AM   #8
GA_AuraOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpartrid View Post
Don't feel bad, OP. I can relate on every level.

I've only got ~50k miles on my XR and have sunk ~$2,400 into her over the past 8 months (albeit half of that was for dealership labor). New turn signal stalk, new front bushings and struts and one or two other things at the dealer.

Good luck with the repairs.
Yeah, the parts are generally fairly inexpensive, it's just the labor is the big chunk of it since getting to the parts alone takes awhile. I've also had to have the signal stalk replaced a few years ago. I think they said that it was a plastic piece that broke on the inside so the signal stalk wasn't resetting after the turn. It's starting to happen again, but I'll just have to turn it off manually instead of paying to replace it again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2017, 04:22 PM   #9
jimmyfloyd
jimmyfloyd is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

THe labor will add up quickly, and so will replacing parts that aren't the source of the issue.

You dont mention if you have the 2.4L or the 3.5L in your XE. Each has it's own set of issue, and the 3.5L is the only one I am familiar with.

With the 3.5L, the water pump, if leaking is why they believe it needs to be replaced, may be the coolent crossover pipe gasket failing. I had to do one on mine. It's involved to do, but not hard. Some mechanics diagnose a bas water pump or leaking head gaskets when this is actually the cause.

With the power steering, if you have replaced the pump, the line would be the other part that might have an issue. There was a TSB about the rubber part getting too close to the exhaust and causing it to leak.

For the struts and shocks, as stated, those are at about their service interval. I just purchased the parts to replace on my G6 for about $300-400 is parts. I am able to do them myself. I was also quoted about $100 a corner to have my local Monro Muffler and Brake swap out parts I provided. So it would come to about $800-1000 if I paid to have it done. Shopping around can help, just remember that some shops won't install/warranty customer supplied parts.

I have not heard of AC issues with the 3.5L.

Not if you have a 2.4L, you can disregard the above.

For the turn signal stalk, I believe anyone here who can turn a screwdriver is capable of replacing this themselves. You can buy the part for < $50 once you make sure you have the correct base (I believe there were 2) I got this one for my 07: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...rm=turn+switch
All you do then is separate the shroud around the column and unscrew the screws holding the lever in. Once removed, put the new one in, screws it in place, then snap the cover back on. Search here or the G6 forums for how to with pictures of this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jimmyfloyd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jimmyfloyd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 04:50 PM   #10
GA_AuraOwner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyfloyd View Post
THe labor will add up quickly, and so will replacing parts that aren't the source of the issue.

You dont mention if you have the 2.4L or the 3.5L in your XE. Each has it's own set of issue, and the 3.5L is the only one I am familiar with.

With the 3.5L, the water pump, if leaking is why they believe it needs to be replaced, may be the coolent crossover pipe gasket failing. I had to do one on mine. It's involved to do, but not hard. Some mechanics diagnose a bas water pump or leaking head gaskets when this is actually the cause.

With the power steering, if you have replaced the pump, the line would be the other part that might have an issue. There was a TSB about the rubber part getting too close to the exhaust and causing it to leak.

For the struts and shocks, as stated, those are at about their service interval. I just purchased the parts to replace on my G6 for about $300-400 is parts. I am able to do them myself. I was also quoted about $100 a corner to have my local Monro Muffler and Brake swap out parts I provided. So it would come to about $800-1000 if I paid to have it done. Shopping around can help, just remember that some shops won't install/warranty customer supplied parts.
Thank you, that was all really helpful. I have the 3.5L V6, which I've heard is the better engine, reliability wise, of the two. I'll look into crossover pipe gasket.

Oh, I did forget to say, my car is making a bit of a whining noise when the engine is on. I think the mechanic who first looked at it said it could be because the water pump is failing. Would fixing a possible gasket leak, fix that issue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2017, 05:02 PM   #11
jimmyfloyd
jimmyfloyd is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

If you have a whining noise, it probably won't be fixed by the Coolant Crossover pipe. When I did mine, since I had to drain the coolant anyways, I did the water pump and thermostat also, since most items were already off for those.

You would want to determine where the whining noise is coming from roughly. If the whining noise changes when the wheels are turned, it would point me in the direction of a power steering issue. I would check the fluid level in the reservoir first to see if it was low. If the whining noise changes with the gas pedal being pressed while parked, then I would be pointed towards one of the belt driven accessories, like Power steering, Water pump, idler pulley, or AC Compressor. If it changes only while driving and not while parked, then I would lean towards something in the transmission or suspension, like an axle, wheel bearing, etc.

With the leak, if you can wipe your finger on the liquid that leaked out, you may be able to determine what is leaking. Blackish and thick would be oil. Lighter brown to reddish would be power steering fluid, brighter or dirty red color would be transmission fluid, and watery light orange/yellow/clear would be antifreeze. Be aware, that is multiple things have leaked in the past, then they could mix.

If it is your coolant crossover gasket, you will probably start losing coolant at a quick rate, about 1-2 quarts in a week, depending on how much is driven. I was constantly filling our car up since it was winter and I didn't want to have to crawl under in the snow. I would notice it was low when we couldn't get the heat to come out very hot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jimmyfloyd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jimmyfloyd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jimmyfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 10:24 PM   #12
the85darkknight
the85darkknight is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

I had that same oil leak issue. I was considering pulling down the oil filter mount and replacing the gasket. However, my water pump failed after already having the radiator and crossover replace. It had slowly seeped out my coolant without me realizing just how low it was. The engine went dry and dead. My Aura is no more now for all purposes unless I find a home for her willing to replace the engine, transmission and assorted other things that far outweigh the value of the vehicle. She is currently a driveway ornament. She made it to 146,000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the85darkknight's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the85darkknight reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
the85darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 10:00 PM   #13
TroubleFree
TroubleFree is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by the85darkknight View Post
I had that same oil leak issue. I was considering pulling down the oil filter mount and replacing the gasket. However, my water pump failed after already having the radiator and crossover replace. It had slowly seeped out my coolant without me realizing just how low it was. The engine went dry and dead. My Aura is no more now for all purposes unless I find a home for her willing to replace the engine, transmission and assorted other things that far outweigh the value of the vehicle. She is currently a driveway ornament. She made it to 146,000 miles.
Did you temperature gauge go way up? Were there any warning signs you didn't see?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TroubleFree's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TroubleFree reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TroubleFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 12:55 AM   #14
jbuenavides
jbuenavides is on a distinguished road

If you won't be able to fix the problem then the best thing to do is to have it checked by a car mechanic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jbuenavides's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jbuenavides reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jbuenavides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 02:35 AM   #15
TroubleFree
TroubleFree is on a distinguished road

Using mechanics is where you go into debt. I could take a dirty MAF to 10 mechanics, and I would bet 9 out of 10 would try to sell me a new one. It's just the way the game goes. It's a hustle business, they play as sales agents.

Also transmission shops are the worst as well. All they want is a rebuild. Could literally be anything wrong with it, first thing will be, needs a rebuild.

Most of the time I think when people get new sensors, they just need cleaned and tested, then after that decide if you want a new one.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TroubleFree's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TroubleFree reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TroubleFree is offline   Reply With Quote