SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2019, 12:13 AM   #21
GOODY2SHZ
GOODY2SHZ is a jewel in the roughGOODY2SHZ is a jewel in the roughGOODY2SHZ is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL
2002 SL
Default Re: P0410 error code - HELP

So we pulled off the exhaust manifold and cleaned it out but it wasn't very dirty and there were no obstructions. Cleared the code and then drove the car. The SES light came back on after around 40 miles. We've already done the full diagnostic from the Richpin video and everything seemed to be working properly. But there are a few things I'm not sure about.

First, with all the normal noise and vibration from the engine, I couldn't really be sure whether or not the smog pump was actually coming on. If I do a cold start then immediately go out and put my hand on the pump, should I be able to feel a definite change when it shuts off in about 30 seconds? How can I know for sure it's coming on? There's power at the switch to the pump and at the switch to the diverter, and there's a vacuum at both hoses attached to the diverter.

The other thing I am unsure about is the diverter. When we disconnected the silver tube from it, there was air coming out of the diverter but it wasn't very strong. The pump may have already turned off at that point, not sure if that made a difference. Or maybe that's just the way it's supposed to be.....

Anyway, any help figuring out what we should do next would be greatly appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GOODY2SHZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GOODY2SHZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GOODY2SHZ is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2019, 09:36 AM   #22
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

Remove the silver tube and do a cold start. Air flow out of the open end of the diverter valve should be strong. If it is not, either the air pump is weak or not running or the diverter valve is not opening.

When you had the exhaust manifold off, did you clean out the 4 air ports that go through the cylinder head? These holes clog more often that the manifold passage itself.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BV22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #23
GOODY2SHZ
GOODY2SHZ is a jewel in the roughGOODY2SHZ is a jewel in the roughGOODY2SHZ is a jewel in the rough

1997 SL
2002 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by BV22 View Post
Remove the silver tube and do a cold start. Air flow out of the open end of the diverter valve should be strong. If it is not, either the air pump is weak or not running or the diverter valve is not opening.

When you had the exhaust manifold off, did you clean out the 4 air ports that go through the cylinder head? These holes clog more often that the manifold passage itself.
Thanks for your help!

I removed the two 10mm bolts holding the silver tube onto the diverter and did a cold start. There was a good amount of air coming out of the silver tube where it would have been connected to the diverter but there was hardly any air coming out of the hole in the diverter. I kept my hand on the pump but couldn't tell whether it was on or not. Unless there's a way I can figure out if the pump is actually coming on or not, I'm thinking I should order a new diverter. What do you think?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help GOODY2SHZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2019, 03:25 PM   #24
BV22
Master Member
BV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of lightBV22 is a glorious beacon of light

2002 SC1

Next step is to disconnect the big black hose that goes from the air pump to the diverter valve at the valve. Do another cold start and check for air flow coming out of the hose. If there is flow, the pump is working and the diverter valve is likely shot. If no flow, then the air pump is not running.

I presume from your description of the most recent test that you had exhaust coming out of the silver tube, but no air coming out of the diverter. Correct?

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BV22 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2019, 04:46 PM   #25
GOODY2SHZ

1997 SL
2002 SL

Quote:
Next step is to disconnect the big black hose that goes from the air pump to the diverter valve at the valve. Do another cold start and check for air flow coming out of the hose. If there is flow, the pump is working and the diverter valve is likely shot. If no flow, then the air pump is not running.

I presume from your description of the most recent test that you had exhaust coming out of the silver tube, but no air coming out of the diverter. Correct?
Yes, that is correct. I will do the big black hose test tomorrow morning on a cold start and post my results. Thank you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-14-2019, 03:02 PM   #26
GOODY2SHZ

1997 SL
2002 SL

Quote:
I disconnected the big black hose coming from the pump to the diverter at the diverter and there was good air flow. There was also a slight squeal that I could only hear when the hose was disconnected.

So, I'm assuming now we've completely isolated the problem to the diverter. Do you concur?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-18-2019, 09:18 AM   #27
BV22
Master Member

2002 SC1

If you have previously verified that you have vacuum at the diverter valve while the air pump is running, then yes, the diverter valve is not opening and must be replaced.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation
Old 11-26-2019, 09:49 PM   #28
GOODY2SHZ

1997 SL
2002 SL

Quote:
If you have previously verified that you have vacuum at the diverter valve while the air pump is running, then yes, the diverter valve is not opening and must be replaced.
Finally received the diverter from Rock Auto and installed it. Did a cold start and there was a good flow of air coming out the hole where the diverter connects to the silver tube. Put everything back together and took it on a very long drive. After just over 200 miles the service engine soon light went out. Yippeeee! Now to get it smogged. Thanks BV and everyone else for your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2019, 09:28 AM   #29
BV22
Master Member

2002 SC1

Glad you got it sorted. It is a nice feeling of accomplishment when that SES light goes off after a repair.

BV22
2002 SC1 5M
RIP Sept 1 2018
315,344 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BV22's Reputation