SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
Fishfreq
Fishfreq is on a distinguished road

Default 1998 SL1 rear bumper skin compatibility with other models?

Hey guys,

Yesterday I was rear-ended. Not a big deal, their fault, and I may take a payout.

But was thinkin' of replacing the stock ugly grey unpainted rear bumper skin of my '98 SL1 with the painted version from the later years. Looking at jy parts.

Anyone know what years work with my car? I know the front bumpers are diff for coupes, SL,s etc. but how about the back? So will say a 1999 SC2 rear skin fit my SL1? Thanks in advance...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Fishfreq's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Fishfreq reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Fishfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2019, 03:54 PM   #2
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: 1998 SL1 rear bumper skin compatibility with other models?

96-99 sedan bumper only as I understand it. Coupes are definitely not compatible. I don't think wagons would be either.

You're looking for 96-99 SL2 bumper.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:56 PM   #3
Fishfreq

Quote:
Originally Posted by trottida View Post
96-99 sedan bumper only as I understand it. Coupes are definitely not compatible. I don't think wagons would be either.

You're looking for 96-99 SL2 bumper.
Awesome Trottida, thanks your input. I'd guess that the '99 bumper skin was the one that they colored body color not bare grey plastic, right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Fishfreq reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2019, 01:06 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

'91-'99 only the SC/SC1/SC2/SL2/SW2 got body color bumpers. '00-'02 they all got body color bumpers.
Same with the door handles, though I don't think 1st gen SC1's got body color door handles like they did bumpers.

For a '98 you need a '96-'99 sedan (pretty sure wagons are too different to work while there's no chance a coupe will fit without major work).

Most body parts from a Wagon work on Sedans and vice-versa, they only changed behind the rear doors and the roof for a given generation.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 05:59 PM   #5
Fishfreq

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
'91-'99 only the SC/SC1/SC2/SL2/SW2 got body color bumpers. '00-'02 they all got body color bumpers.
Same with the door handles, though I don't think 1st gen SC1's got body color door handles like they did bumpers.

For a '98 you need a '96-'99 sedan (pretty sure wagons are too different to work while there's no chance a coupe will fit without major work).

Most body parts from a Wagon work on Sedans and vice-versa, they only changed behind the rear doors and the roof for a given generation.
Ok so an SL2, '96-'99, if it's got a body-color rear bumper cover it'll fit? Sounds like the simplest thing for me will be to make do with another grey plastic one

Yup, I had a '91 manual SC2 with pop-up lights, and all bumpers and door handles were painted body color. That was a fun handling car with a revvy little motor. Miss that one compared to this SL1, boy, way different motor, everything, leather seats, sr, pw, pdl, better gear ratios...!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2019, 01:22 AM   #6
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post

The 2000 base SL (not 1 or 2) also had a grey bumper. I'm not sure if the base SL was dropped in 2001, but they where all painted by then

97 SL2, auto, 116K miles