SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2019, 11:49 AM   #1
marmitage
marmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nice

1997 SL2
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default 97 sl2 ignition switch

So I replaced the doors on my SL2, ( bad window motors) figuring it would be easier to replace the ignition cylinder rather then the door locks. Got the old cylinder out no issues, but there was a silver part with a spring that came out with it. There was a shoulder on it so it seemed that it would only go in one way. I put it back in and it seemed right but when I put the new cylinder (from a 99) in it goes in until there is a quarter inch still sticking out. I have turned the silver part, turned the cylinder to try and line it up, no luck.
So does that silver piece need to go in farther? Is there a shaft behind it I need to get lined up with or is there a trick to getting the cylinder in? I have done this before but this car has been fighting me on virtually everything for the last 6 months.

marmitage
03 Vue Silver, Daughters
97 SL2 Back from the grave
99 Sw2 Daily driver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marmitage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marmitage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marmitage is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #2
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1
Default Re: 97 sl2 ignition switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmitage View Post
So I replaced the doors on my SL2, ( bad window motors) figuring it would be easier to replace the ignition cylinder rather then the door locks. Got the old cylinder out no issues, but there was a silver part with a spring that came out with it. There was a shoulder on it so it seemed that it would only go in one way. I put it back in and it seemed right but when I put the new cylinder (from a 99) in it goes in until there is a quarter inch still sticking out. I have turned the silver part, turned the cylinder to try and line it up, no luck.
So does that silver piece need to go in farther? Is there a shaft behind it I need to get lined up with or is there a trick to getting the cylinder in? I have done this before but this car has been fighting me on virtually everything for the last 6 months.
Can you throw up some photos to help visualize the issue?

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 12:53 PM   #3
marmitage
marmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nicemarmitage is just really nice

1997 SL2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Will do tonight

marmitage
03 Vue Silver, Daughters
99 Sw2 Daily driver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help marmitage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2019, 08:00 PM   #4
marmitage

1997 SL2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Here is a picture of the cylinder inserted

Here is picture of the cylinder, the circle with the knob is the part that came out.
I can turn it with pliers and cannot get it out
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cylinder inserted.jpg (151.5 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg inside cylinder.jpg (108.0 KB, 30 views)

marmitage
03 Vue Silver, Daughters
99 Sw2 Daily driver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2019, 09:10 PM   #5
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Looks easier to screw with than the '94 Cavalier I had to screw with. Line up the notch with the keyway, slide the cylinder in & twist to find the path the notch wants. Once it's all back in slather the cylinder up with JB weld to keep it in the sleeve and cut a bit of flat-stock into a key shape and cut out the annoying/terrifying column lock...good to go

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 09:49 AM   #6
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

I didn't experience this when I did my cylinder. That piece stayed in place and the cylinder came out and went in clean. I think it is called a cam. Where is this spring you spoke of?

Anything in this diagram look familiar?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg lock cylinder (Small).jpg (90.2 KB, 95 views)

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-24-2019, 05:29 PM   #7
marmitage

1997 SL2
2003 VUE 3.0L

The spring was attached to the piece that came out with the cylinder. Connected directly on the back extending straight out. Don't see it on your diagram.
I haven't had this issue either but it does seem to be sticking out the length of the cylinder sliding over the "cam".
I'll fiddle with it tonight and see.

marmitage
03 Vue Silver, Daughters
99 Sw2 Daily driver

Last edited by marmitage; 10-24-2019 at 05:33 PM.. Reason: incomplete thought

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2019, 05:31 PM   #8
marmitage

1997 SL2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Can you elaborate on......cut a bit of flat-stock into a key shape and cut out the annoying/terrifying column lock...good to go ?

marmitage
03 Vue Silver, Daughters
99 Sw2 Daily driver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2019, 08:35 PM   #9
ZuluKono
ZuluKono is on a distinguished road

2000 SC1

I recently went through my own lock cylinder ordeal.
I was fighting it for a long time before I figured it out.
To get the cylinder all the way in, I had to use a small nail
to push something in on the under side of the housing as I
was pushing/turning/jiggling the cylinder with the key in it.
Mine's a 2000 SC1, don't know if yours is the same.

All GM, all the time.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ZuluKono's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ZuluKono reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ZuluKono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:35 AM   #10
marmitage

1997 SL2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Thanks for the tip. I'll give it a try. Fighting water in basement and getting wet carpet out so it might not be until Sunday.

marmitage
03 Vue Silver, Daughters
99 Sw2 Daily driver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2019, 02:06 AM   #11
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

Dunno if this matters for the key cylinder, but...

I think maybe better with a Gen2 replacement for the Gen2 lock,
because I think the Gen3 cylinder may be different due to the new security issues.

Could check the part lookup to see if the different years have same part number...
(the aftermarket part numbers would help, GM probably not)
the junkyards may list substitutions....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 08:17 AM   #12
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM96 View Post
Dunno if this matters for the key cylinder, but...

I think maybe better with a Gen2 replacement for the Gen2 lock,
because I think the Gen3 cylinder may be different due to the new security issues.

Could check the part lookup to see if the different years have same part number...
(the aftermarket part numbers would help, GM probably not)
the junkyards may list substitutions....
He stated the ignition cylinder was from a 99 so that is the same as the 97 (both GEN2). Yes the GEN3 ignition cylinder is a different cylinder.

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2019, 10:58 AM   #13
marmitage

1997 SL2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Still having no luck with this cylinder. looked at my donor car's old cylinder sleeve. It looks like part of the 97 cylinder slot is broken off. I have circled it in the attached picture. I am guessing this is why I can't get the cylinder in. Anybody have any ideas beyond moving the donor cylinder sleeve, which looks like even less fun since it snowed last night.
Compare with pics in post #4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20191101_111625.jpg (93.1 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 99 sw cylinder.jpg (94.0 KB, 14 views)

marmitage
03 Vue Silver, Daughters
99 Sw2 Daily driver

Last edited by marmitage; 11-02-2019 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: incomplete info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-02-2019, 10:59 AM   #14
fjmg
fjmg will become famous soon enough

In the op's second pic that plate with the nub is 180 out of phase, you need to rotate it so the groove in that plate lines up with the notch at the bottom of the housing. Then the plate will slide deeper since it will be clocked properly with the ignition switch behind it. There is a pin missing in your pic that retains that plate at the proper depth, that is why the plate came out when you removed the key cylinder. Not mandatory to replace the pin, just makes it easier for reinstalling. I can email you a pic and you can post it (comp issues on my end) if you like.
Once you have the depth correct I would use needle nose and turn that plate to verify you are in the correct position.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fjmg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fjmg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 12:33 PM   #15
marmitage

1997 SL2
2003 VUE 3.0L

yes the second pic is from the donor car. the first pic is of the problem 97. Please share any and all info you can. Daughter wrecked her car last night so this has become more important than it was.
marmitage43@hotmail.com

marmitage
03 Vue Silver, Daughters
99 Sw2 Daily driver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2019, 01:13 PM   #16
marmitage

1997 SL2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Here are the Pics Robert sent me. Will try his advice.
Will continue but plan B is to pull the metal part from the donor car. Looks like two very small bolts and unplug a few things. Any advice if I have to go down that road would be appreciated
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Robertz 1.jpg (156.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg robertz 2.jpg (177.8 KB, 9 views)

marmitage
03 Vue Silver, Daughters
99 Sw2 Daily driver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-04-2019, 06:34 PM   #17
fjmg
fjmg will become famous soon enough

As I am looking at your pictures... I would just undo the two bottom pivot and one pinch bolt, undo a couple connectors and pull the entire column and work in the warm.
If you cannot get it to work just grab another column from the wrecker and reinstall that column.
Buchanon is out of my way for any of my future travel but if you think you might be close to the us/can border sometime soon I can bring one of my spares and meet you.

Last edited by fjmg; 11-04-2019 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: More info

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fjmg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fjmg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:20 AM   #18
trottida
Master Member

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Did you look at this RichPin video as a reference >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt8wnj4qHoc

It specifically mentions re-positioning the part at the bottom of the housing and at 3:29 shows the correct orientation of the piece at the bottom of the housing. Yours appears to be incorrect in comparison; rotated 180 degrees as already mentioned. Here are photos showing the difference.

As I understand it, if that plate is positioned correctly it should be able to be depressed further into the cylinder housing and then spring back into position. If it is not it will hang as you are experiencing and your cylinder will not go full depth.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg InkedOP Cylinder_LI.jpg (56.5 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg InkedLock cylinder housing position_LI.jpg (33.0 KB, 38 views)

2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2019, 05:00 PM   #19
marmitage

1997 SL2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Took Roberts advice and swapped in a new steering column. Ignition cylinder swap went as it should have, new one in. Car runs and now I just have to find the stumble reason. Another post for another day.

Thanks all for help and suggestions. Will tear old unit a part and share if I find anything weird.

marmitage
03 Vue Silver, Daughters
99 Sw2 Daily driver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-25-2019, 05:16 PM   #20
marmitage

1997 SL2
2003 VUE 3.0L

here are the pictures of the disassembled switch.
first one shows the what came out of the back when I took it apart. This is the part that came out with the cylinder, there is the spring.

the second shows how it went together in the column

the third shows the plunger part I had to depress to get the spring and plate back in

Thanks for all the help. New column quickest easiest way to fix for me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ing switch 1.jpg (100.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ing switch 2.jpg (77.9 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg ing switch 3.jpg (117.1 KB, 6 views)

marmitage
03 Vue Silver, Daughters
99 Sw2 Daily driver

REWARD EXCELLENCE!