SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2019, 09:03 PM   #1
nealt
nealt is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
1999 SC2
Default SC2 Side Window Gear Box Jammed

Anybody have a front side window gear box lock up on them?

I think a kid tried to lower the window too hard when it was frozen in place last week. Now the window is stuck down and the handle just spins around. The gear box that the handle is connected to is non-functioning, and I could not even pull the window up by hand.

I ended up cutting off the gear with a grinding wheel so that I could pull the window back up. Then I screwed the window in place permanently in the UP position. It's a hack, but at least it'll stay dry.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nealt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nealt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nealt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2019, 09:42 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: SC2 Side Window Gear Box Jammed

Sounds like the window regulator broke. Not common but common enough the part isn't unobtanium priced.

ACI 81916, $56 on Amazon ($2 more on RockAuto).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:49 PM   #3
nealt

1997 SC2
1999 SC2

Thanks - that looks like the part. I need the passenger side. And it's $13 more on Amazon for some reason. RockAuto has them the same price.

I guess the driver side must be higher volume (and lower cost) since it's used more and thus breaks more.

It is a pain to swap those out? I didn't have much room to work with at all when I cut that gear out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help nealt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-03-2019, 11:09 PM   #4
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The only way to replace it is to take the outer skin off, there's a mostly solid metal panel between the inner panel and anything useful.

With the environment here I'd rather replace the whole door rather than risk snapping every mounting point on the door skin. Total design oversight on GM's part, no way to get anything on the bolts to get them to loosen easier and no reinforcement on the panel to not rip it to shreds.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 08:39 AM   #5
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
The only way to replace it is to take the outer skin off, there's a mostly solid metal panel between the inner panel and anything useful.

With the environment here I'd rather replace the whole door rather than risk snapping every mounting point on the door skin. Total design oversight on GM's part, no way to get anything on the bolts to get them to loosen easier and no reinforcement on the panel to not rip it to shreds.
I would drill out the torx head on the door panel fasteners and replace them rather then trying to turn them and risk breaking the door panel tabs.

I've saved a set of them from my parts car should I ever need to access the window regulators. I'm sure you can buy them somewhere if needed.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 09:14 PM   #6
nealt

1997 SC2
1999 SC2

Good advice. I wish I posted this first before trying to take the door panel off.
Those door tabs are very easy to break with a stuck door panel fastener... a few already broke the plastic tabs on the hinge side of the door. Fortunately, the door panel still seems pretty secure when I put it all back together. I'm not too sure about next time, however.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!