SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-28-2019, 09:09 PM   #1
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2
Default Jacking Up Hockey Puck

I’ve seen a lot of Jacking Up Hockey Pucks on Amazon after watching a YouTube mechanic say that he uses a hockey puck with a groove cut into it to give a steady cushion when jacking up cars at the manufacturer’s recommended jacking point. It supposedly/ideally avoids the weld seam from collapsing to one side From the weight which seems to be a true possibility. I am getting ready to cut a groove in my 1994 Rangers Stanley Cup commemorative Hockey Puck and drilling out some divets in the other side to sit nicely into the head of my floor jack. I also just bought a pretty substantial $12.00 rubber floor mat to sit under the jack and jack stands (after cutting into sections) to add some more stability and grip on the surface of my driveway. I have tried pieces of scrap wood only, but the splitting sounds becomes unnerving while jacking the car up. I think a combination of wood and the rubber mat will hopefully offer a nice secure solution. There are even custom rubber Jack Stand head pieces on Amazon but I will try another small chunk of my floor mat first. I’ve even considered trying pieces of carpet.

Any thoughts or experiences to share?

Also: Is there a secure and safe center point on or near the rear axle for jacking up the entire rear of our S-Series Cars?

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2019, 10:39 PM   #2
Zeebins
Advanced Member
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2
Default Re: Jacking Up Hockey Puck

For the front, What I normally do is jack up the car along the frame where the subframe bolts on to, leaving enough room to next to it to put the jack stand. The rear can be jacked up from the rear subframe. There's a bump in the middle that I always use.

I can't even really use my "recommended" jacking points in the front anymore due to it being so bent. The back seem to be fine though

97 SL2, auto, 116K miles
Powered by Plastic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zeebins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zeebins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:43 AM   #3
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

From the rear I either use the center of the rear subframe or where the trailing arm mounts. From the front I use where the cradle mounts. Pretty sure none of them are "factory authorized" but if they buckle under the weight of the car...it wasn't safe keeping the car anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:00 AM   #4
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

I have a straddle gantry I built - using S series rear wheel bearings and 4 spoke (93) aluminum rims.

I use it to lift Saturns by the roof - using a chain through the front windows.

It's a bit hard on the finish.

Then I load the stripped out carcass onto a trailer and take it up the street to the scrap metal dealer..

A stripped out 94 SC2 frame weighs 515 lbs and brought $33.

Now you know.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 09:12 AM   #5
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

I've used the slotted hockey puck on the pinch welds and flip it over to lift the back by the center of the rear subframe. I find it kind of finicky to get it positioned on the pinch welds and upgraded to this magnetic version. It works well and I still use the hockey puck for the rear subframe which lifts both wheels off in one lift.

Universal Aluminum Grooved Magnetic Jack Pad

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magnetic jack pad.JPG (49.6 KB, 77 views)

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 12:37 PM   #6
Goggles Pisano
Goggles Pisano is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
Wrench Re: Jacking Up Hockey Puck

I bought a cheap Chinese version and cut a groove into the back to fit flat on my cheap-assed floor jack... it ended up splitting in two. An actual hockey puck would've done the trick, but Trottida's magnetic jack pad looks much better.

I've already ended up crushing most of the pinch welds on the front anyhow, but sliding a jack under the SL when you've already put H&R Sport Springs all around just makes it a wee bit more challenging.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Goggles Pisano's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Goggles Pisano reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Goggles Pisano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 01:21 PM   #7
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goggles Pisano View Post
I bought a cheap Chinese version and cut a groove into the back to fit flat on my cheap-assed floor jack... it ended up splitting in two. An actual hockey puck would've done the trick, but Trottida's magnetic jack pad looks much better.

I've already ended up crushing most of the pinch welds on the front anyhow, but sliding a jack under the SL when you've already put H&R Sport Springs all around just makes it a wee bit more challenging.
Just straighten out the pinch weld with some vice grips and you'll be good to go again.

1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 11:25 AM   #8
lilwhitetruck
lilwhitetruck is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2002 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dummo View Post
I am getting ready to cut a groove in my 1994 Rangers Stanley Cup commemorative Hockey Puck
Don't be so fast to cut that one up! Hopefully we'll have another puck this year!!!! In the mean time grab a puck from that "Other" team and cut that up. . .

2001 Saturn Silver SC2 Leather Interior with 297K and a newly acquired 2002 White Fully Loaded, With only 87K! My new DD!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lilwhitetruck's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lilwhitetruck reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lilwhitetruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:36 AM   #9
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of lightdummo is a glorious beacon of light

1997 SW2

Here’s an interesting idea...
https://youtu.be/jp2DqnL3A1g

• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dummo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dummo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote