SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2014, 07:57 PM   #161
tooter1
tooter1 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Transmission Pressure Control Solenoid replacement (99 SL1 A/T)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
It can have quite a bit of fluid up there. You may have a slightly high fluid level which does not help either.

Check your alternator and battery as lo voltage will cause poor trans performance.
I had to take it somewhere a few weeks back to have the oil changed and they said the trans filter was a little loose and tightened it back up, then topped it off and they might have put to much in there.

I didn't think about checking the voltage when running. Good idea.

'03 Saturn ION Level 3 Sedan
'01 Saturn SL2
'00 Saturn LS2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tooter1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tooter1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2014, 11:16 PM   #162
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Saw the photo - now why do you have the cover off the VB? You could have checked resistance at the Connector. Try swapping your LP and 4th Gear Solenoids and put it back together. What year is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooter1 View Post
I had to take it somewhere a few weeks back to have the oil changed and they said the trans filter was a little loose and tightened it back up, then topped it off and they might have put to much in there.
When you get it back together, this is how to check the fluid level . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...9&d=1372471450

Last edited by Chazberry; 12-11-2014 at 11:24 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:48 PM   #163
tooter1
tooter1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
Saw the photo - now why do you have the cover off the VB? You could have checked resistance at the Connector. Try swapping your LP and 4th Gear Solenoids and put it back together. What year is this?

When you get it back together, this is how to check the fluid level . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/att...9&d=1372471450
It's an '01...as wet as the connector was, I wanted to see how wet the whole area was. It was totally soaked, compared to the pic below.
I also got a different resistance reading at the connector than at the solenoid.

Also, I squeezed the connectors closer together to make a slightly tighter connection on the solenoids.

Thanks for the link to properly check the level. I'll have to check to level tomorrow.

From this photo, I swapped number 1 with number 3 and put it back together and it seems to be doing just fine.

'03 Saturn ION Level 3 Sedan
'01 Saturn SL2
'00 Saturn LS2

Last edited by tooter1; 12-12-2014 at 12:01 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tooter1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tooter1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tooter1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:40 PM   #164
taahtaah
taahtaah is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

I see that this thread has been dead for a while but I've had a similar issue with my 2001 Saturn SC2 for about 9 months now. I've realized I need to start working on my car more as going to a mechanic is just ridiculously expensive.

Can I follow some of these same steps, primarily the original posters success for my model?

Hopefully someone will see this...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to taahtaah's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help taahtaah reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
taahtaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 05:38 PM   #165
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by taahtaah View Post
Can I follow some of these same steps, primarily the original posters success for my model?
Yes - Valve Bodies are the same from '93 up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 02:55 AM   #166
Mdkson
Mdkson is on a distinguished road

I found a place to get the solenoid for cheap , rockets.com there about 43 USD per one

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mdkson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mdkson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mdkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:47 PM   #167
Tom Walsh
Tom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I didn't read the whole thread but did not catch anyone identifying the test process for the connector plate. Checking out each solenoid is essential, but one cannot forget the connector plate. Visual inspection and also with a #43 drill bit. It should drag a little as you test all solenoid connection ports. You are probably done with your project, but for the sake of others reading looking for insight it is something that should be emphasized. And I am not shy to reuse good solenoids either, As long as they weren't pressure solenoids in a former life. Just my opinion on that one. I don't sell them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom Walsh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom Walsh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 02:32 PM   #168
Threeheadedtoad
Threeheadedtoad is on a distinguished road

I know this is an ancient thread, but...

I just got a 98 Saturn SL2 for my daughter. It was running fine for a while(about 3 months), but recently the transmission filter keeps blowing. I replaced the pressure solenoid, checked the bus plate in the valve body, checked fuses, etc., but still blowing. I'm at a loss now.

I'm ready to sell this thing for parts. Anyone have any other ideas?

Car particulars - true second owner, we bought it from our neighbor who has had it since new. It did sit for a couple of years in her garage, cause she can't drive anymore. All fluids, belts, hoses have been inspected and replaced as needed. Car has about 60k miles on it. Regular maintenance - basically, the epitome of a 'little old lady' car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Threeheadedtoad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Threeheadedtoad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Threeheadedtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:38 AM   #169
S-forever
S-forever is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
1991 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threeheadedtoad View Post
I know this is an ancient thread, but...

I just got a 98 Saturn SL2 for my daughter. It was running fine for a while(about 3 months), but recently the transmission filter keeps blowing. I replaced the pressure solenoid, checked the bus plate in the valve body, checked fuses, etc., but still blowing. I'm at a loss now.

I'm ready to sell this thing for parts. Anyone have any other ideas?

Car particulars - true second owner, we bought it from our neighbor who has had it since new. It did sit for a couple of years in her garage, cause she can't drive anymore. All fluids, belts, hoses have been inspected and replaced as needed. Car has about 60k miles on it. Regular maintenance - basically, the epitome of a 'little old lady' car.
It's been a couple of months since you posted, but one thought is a clog in the drain path from the pressure regulator under the solenoid. There's another overpressure relief valve downstream - the bleed from the primary regulator feeds the TC and bearing lube functions. If that was stuck it might cause overpressure to the filter. I found this site:

https://www.sonnax.com/units/279-taat

It has links to articles at the bottom that are specific for the TAAT and written for transmission rebuilders. It might help a bit. Good luck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S-forever's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S-forever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S-forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 12:44 AM   #170
S-forever

1997 SL2
1991 SL2

This has been a super valuable thread today! I'm working on a 2002 SL2 with this same problem - bang shifting probably due to a bad regulator solenoid. I also have a friend with a similar problem on a 2002 SL1. She's not happy at all. I'll look at it when I visit her in a month.

I'm planning to pull solenoids from a trashed 1994 SL1 auto and hope to repair them both. With luck, it will just be labor and no drama. We'll see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help S-forever reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-29-2019, 04:08 PM   #171
S-forever

1997 SL2
1991 SL2

OK, I've pulled the solenoids and buss plate from the old trashed Saturn(beyond reasonable repair), and pulled the transmission connector from the good car. It's got burned terminals on both male and female connector for the pressure control solenoid, so I'm on the right track. Interesting to me is that the cover from the trashed 1994 SL1 has 13 perimeter bolts and the 2002 SL2 has only 8. I'm hoping that the buss plate is the same between both, and apparently the solenoids are too. I'm ordering a new gasket in case the SL2 has a bad one. The old SL1 gasket came off in pieces, possibly because it was dried from sitting 10 years or so. I'll have to do the soldering thing with the harness, since the connector is burned beyond redemption. I'm only hoping that the solenoid driver(in the PCU?) hasn't been damaged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-29-2019, 10:43 PM   #172
S-forever

1997 SL2
1991 SL2

I have the solenoid cover and buss plate off the car that matters and I checked the solenoids. As expected, all solenoids are around 5.6 ohms except for the pressure regulator solenoid which is 1.6 ohms. I figure that one is trash. I have a choice of the four lesser used solenoids from the other car and they're all about the same. Does anyone have a clear idea as to which solenoid is least used and likely to be best?

I'll install that one and get the cover back on. The newer cover has a good gasket on it, so I'll reuse it. I still have to get some shrink tubing and solder a new connector to the harness.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-30-2019, 10:31 PM   #173
edlee
edlee will become famous soon enoughedlee will become famous soon enough

1999 SL1

My guess would be the solenoid for gear 2 is the least used. I've replaced the solenoid for gear 4 two or three times. I've replaced the line pressure solenoid once. The solenoids are arranged like the following when you stand in front of the car:

3 4
T
L

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to edlee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help edlee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
edlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 12:48 PM   #174
S-forever

1997 SL2
1991 SL2

Thanks for the info. I just used the third gear solenoid from the spare when I put it back together(before your post) and it's still harsh. I suppose it could just be another bad solenoid(it sat for 7 years), but the buss plate looks good and the connector to it was replaced. Perhaps there's something else wrong in the valve body? I'm not sure. I'm thinking of just swapping it with a known good valve body for now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!