SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2014, 11:50 PM   #1
ronin81
ronin81 is on a distinguished road

Default Fuse Clicking

So I started noticing some weird behavior from my 2001 Saturn SL 2 recently. The power locks have been a little bit on the fringe (coming on and off randomly). I went away for a week, came back and the battery was completely dead. I assumed what had happened was the driver's side door power lock mechanism was on the fritz again, so I recharged the battery, disconnected the poor door locks on the driver's side, and all was well for about a month.

Then the other day, come home and the battery is (near) dead again (this time after only I day, I had driven it that morning). Enough to get a few lights but not turn over. But when I got in the car I heard this really weird clicking noise coming out of the fuse box. I checked a few fuses, but nothing seemed burnt out. It would stop when I pulled the main fuse on driver's side out, but start back when it was back in.

Unfortunately I had to leave quickly to travel, so now that I'm back the battery is again completely dead.

I'm charging it now w/ a trickle charger and will put it back in in a day or so, but I'm really starting to wonder a) what keeps on killing it and b) what that clicking noise was and how to fix it (something in the fuse box? starter? a relay somewhere?)

Any help would be great.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ronin81's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ronin81 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ronin81 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2014, 06:25 AM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: Fuse Clicking

See what it's like after the battery is fully charged.
Did you mean the clicking was continuous and not just when the key was turned and trying to start? If just while starting, it might have been the starter solenoid trying to engage the flywheel (to start the car) and unable to do so due to a low battery charge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 08:04 PM   #3
ronin81

Put in the newly charged battery and everything fired up fine.

Now though, the rear and trunk lights don't come on. Break light do, and turn signals, but not rear lights nor trunk lights.

I checked the fuzes and everything seemed fine. Last time the car fired up they were working. Any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ronin81 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-30-2014, 08:41 PM   #4
ronin81

Brake, inside trunk, and turn signals work. Rear lights do not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-30-2014, 10:34 PM   #5
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Glad the battery works now.
Brake lights are good you say, and stop lights (same filament on the bulb) but, no tail lights at all? Most likely the bulb is bad, or socket corroded or worse, a wiring issue. Check the bulb tho.
Oh, do the front parking lights come on with the switch flicked to headlights?

Last edited by toggenburg; 08-30-2014 at 10:39 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-30-2014, 11:09 PM   #6
ronin81

Yeah - all front lights comes on. Just seems weird that they would all go out at once (hoping it's not a wiring issue).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #7
ronin81

Sorry - i had the wrong lights listed - here's what comes on:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rear.jpg (37.3 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-31-2014, 07:12 AM   #8
toggenburg
Master Member

2001 SL1

Um I've only had an SW2 so I am presuming on your car that those are the tail lights working? So, you lost the brake/turn signals?
Does the 3rd brake light work, and what happens if you put the hazard/flashers on? Might be the brake light switch is bad or out of position or is it a separate fuse on the 2001 model? Have you checked the actual bulb and socket to determine if you are getting 12 vdc to the socket?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!