SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2013, 11:19 PM   #1
tgparker2013
tgparker2013 is on a distinguished road

1997 SW1
1992 SL2
Default '97 SW1 Automatic Transmission Issues...

Just bought a '97 SW1 SOHC 100K+. The TAAT automatic transmission worked fine, but tthe fluid was a little low, so I figured it might be a good idea to take the car to AAMCO transmission for their $100 special "Powerflush" service.

The TAAT transmission really seemed to perform better & smoother right after the service, and I was really happy. The next day, however, I noticed a mild hesitation going from 3rd to Overdrive, and over the last few days the transmission is getting worse, and now has real trouble shifting from 3rd to Overdrive. Any ideas what might be the cause? There is a limited warrantee with the AAMCO "Powerflush", any suggestions what I might be able to get AAMCO to do? I was able to shift from 3rd to Overdrive BEFORE the service. Comments & advise please?
Thanks,
TG

'92 SL1 Man.
'97 SW2 Man.
'92 SL2 Man.
'97 SL1 Auto

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tgparker2013's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tgparker2013 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tgparker2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1
Default Re: '97 SW1 Automatic Transmission Issues...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgparker2013 View Post
Just bought a '97 SW1 SOHC 100K+. The TAAT automatic transmission worked fine, but tthe fluid was a little low, so I figured it might be a good idea to take the car to AAMCO transmission for their $100 special "Powerflush" service.

The TAAT transmission really seemed to perform better & smoother right after the service, and I was really happy. The next day, however, I noticed a mild hesitation going from 3rd to Overdrive, and over the last few days the transmission is getting worse, and now has real trouble shifting from 3rd to Overdrive. Any ideas what might be the cause? There is a limited warrantee with the AAMCO "Powerflush", any suggestions what I might be able to get AAMCO to do? I was able to shift from 3rd to Overdrive BEFORE the service. Comments & advise please?
Thanks,
TG
I personally wouldnt have gotten the Transmisison flushed, I dont like the idea of it and I believe it does more bad then good, A simple fluid change with a new filter would have done a good job, I would make sure off the bat that they used the correct ATF fluid, If they used Dex 4 DONT DRIVE IT, That will damage the Transmission, It seems strange how the symptom is getting worse the more the "new fluid" is getting run through the Trans, Make sure they used the right fluid before any further diagnosis can be performed. Dex III is the correct fluid.

2015 Subaru Forester Limited "Prinny"
2000 SW2 Still Running Strong- 160K Traded In
2002 SL1 Still has Its Training Wheels on at 88K Traded In

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL19302's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL19302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:56 AM   #3
tgparker2013

1997 SW1
1992 SL2

Assuming AAMCO may have put in Dexron VI, what is the best way to remove the Dexron VI and replace it with Dexron III? Assuming that all that I can ever replace manually is 3 or 4 quarts at a time, there will still be Dexron VI in the transmission. Should I get AAMCO to replace the transmission fluid? Perhaps I should just demand a refund from AAMCO and then walk away from AAMCO and do the Transmission fluid replacement myself. Other comments and advise welcome.
Thanks,

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL19302 View Post
I personally wouldnt have gotten the Transmisison flushed, I dont like the idea of it and I believe it does more bad then good, A simple fluid change with a new filter would have done a good job, I would make sure off the bat that they used the correct ATF fluid, If they used Dex 4 DONT DRIVE IT, That will damage the Transmission, It seems strange how the symptom is getting worse the more the "new fluid" is getting run through the Trans, Make sure they used the right fluid before any further diagnosis can be performed. Dex III is the correct fluid.

'92 SL1 Man.
'97 SW2 Man.
'92 SL2 Man.
'97 SL1 Auto

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tgparker2013 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2013, 01:02 AM   #4
SL19302
Master Member
SL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to allSL19302 is a name known to all

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Assuming AAMCO may have put in Dexron VI, what is the best way to remove the Dexron VI and replace it with Dexron III? Assuming that all that I can ever replace manually is 3 or 4 quarts at a time, there will still be Dexron VI in the transmission. Should I get AAMCO to replace the transmission fluid? Perhaps I should just demand a refund from AAMCO and then walk away from AAMCO and do the Transmission fluid replacement myself. Other comments and advise welcome.
Thanks,
Being they performed the service already I would contact them directly and ask them what type of fluid they put in your car and tell them your having shift issues after the flush, Take it back and hold them accountable if they messed up. IF they used Dex VI it will need a flush once again to get all of that out of the Trans, and they SHOULD NOT charge you for that service if thats the problem.

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SL19302 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #5
tgparker2013

1997 SW1
1992 SL2

Thanks for your comments and support!

20/20 Hindsight, I should have read everything on this forum about my TAAT before doing ANYTHING with my Saturn transmission!

AAMCO said that they put in Dexron III transmission fluid, but they also said that changing the fluid "Revealed a pre-existing condition" that I would have to bring the car in at my expense. Hmmm I smell a racket... Though AAMCO did admit that something in the transmission might have been dislodged something during the power-flush, but that it wasn't his fault. This Power-Flush sounds definitely like a racket to generate work...

Now that I've read all the forum traffic and realize that Power-Flushing is not good for Saturns and why, hind-sight is 20/20...

Obviously I can't rely on AAMCO to do the right thing...

Assuming that AAMCO is telling the truth about putting Dexron III into my car, at least I can eliminate one of my bigger concerns.

My biggest question now, is what is obstructing or keeping my car from shifting into top gear?

Is it a (top gear) valve solenoid?
Is it the problem with something in the in the valve body?
Will I have to open up the valve body to remove whatever "contaminant" might be blocking the to gear valve?

Any suggestions how to trouble-shoot this situation?

Thanks for all help and support!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL19302 View Post
Being they performed the service already I would contact them directly and ask them what type of fluid they put in your car and tell them your having shift issues after the flush, Take it back and hold them accountable if they messed up. IF they used Dex VI it will need a flush once again to get all of that out of the Trans, and they SHOULD NOT charge you for that service if thats the problem.

'92 SL1 Man.
'97 SW2 Man.
'92 SL2 Man.
'97 SL1 Auto

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-07-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
SL19302
Master Member

2000 SW2
2002 SL1

Quote:
Thanks for your comments and support!

20/20 Hindsight, I should have read everything on this forum about my TAAT before doing ANYTHING with my Saturn transmission!

AAMCO said that they put in Dexron III transmission fluid, but they also said that changing the fluid "Revealed a pre-existing condition" that I would have to bring the car in at my expense. Hmmm I smell a racket... Though AAMCO did admit that something in the transmission might have been dislodged something during the power-flush, but that it wasn't his fault. This Power-Flush sounds definitely like a racket to generate work...

Now that I've read all the forum traffic and realize that Power-Flushing is not good for Saturns and why, hind-sight is 20/20...

Obviously I can't rely on AAMCO to do the right thing...

Assuming that AAMCO is telling the truth about putting Dexron III into my car, at least I can eliminate one of my bigger concerns.

My biggest question now, is what is obstructing or keeping my car from shifting into top gear?

Is it a (top gear) valve solenoid?
Is it the problem with something in the in the valve body?
Will I have to open up the valve body to remove whatever "contaminant" might be blocking the to gear valve?

Any suggestions how to trouble-shoot this situation?

Thanks for all help and support!
Well I wouldnt let them touch the car any further as they are just trying to get money out of you with more work, Usually just changing the fluid twice gets most of the old fluid out and replaces it with clean fluid, I would start by changing the fluid yourself with the proper fluid, Yes they said they used the right fluid but you dont really know at this point, Its strange how the Transmission went in there shifting fine and left the garage a day later will issues, I wouldnt suspect a valvebody issue yet just because the Transmission was shifting fine prior to this unless the flush actually did dislodged something inside there and is causing problems, but I would just do the fluid for now and see how it works...

CHECK YOUR OIL!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!