SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
BullyCanadian
BullyCanadian has a spectacular aura aboutBullyCanadian has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 2.2L
Default Something in the steering snapped, steering wheel turns around and around, tires wont

So my steering wheel started making a clicking sound on Thursday when turning and was almost as if something was binding and getting stuck in it. Last night I go and reverse out of my friends driveway and there's a loud noise and from the steering wheel, and i lose all steering. The steering wheel turns freely around and around, tires do nothing, and there is no more power going to the steering wheel as well (horn doesn't work, cruise light doesn't come on) what can the issue be?

1992 Saturn SL2 has been sold as of June 2007...
2003 4.6L v8 Mustang 5speed Sold as of March 2014...
Daily Driver ... 2003 i4 5speed Vue
Mileage Currently @ (09/30/2014) 268,000 km (166,500 mi)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BullyCanadian's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BullyCanadian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BullyCanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-2012, 06:58 PM   #2
Double GG
Double GG is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Something in the steering snapped, steering wheel turns around and around, tires

Look underneath...does the shaft going from the steering wheel through the firewall turn? If so then you have an issue down at the rack. If not then it is under the dash or the wheel itself.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Double GG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Double GG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Double GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:00 PM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Something in the steering snapped, steering wheel turns around and around, tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullyCanadian View Post
So my steering wheel started making a clicking sound on Thursday when turning and was almost as if something was binding and getting stuck in it. Last night I go and reverse out of my friends driveway and there's a loud noise and from the steering wheel, and i lose all steering. The steering wheel turns freely around and around, tires do nothing, and there is no more power going to the steering wheel as well (horn doesn't work, cruise light doesn't come on) what can the issue be?
First test I'd try is to turn steering wheel while watching the steering shaft (goes thru floor near brake pedal). If the shaft turns when you turn wheel the intermediate shaft could have broken or came loose underneath.

If the shaft does not turn when you rotate steering wheel .... OMG!!!

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #4
BullyCanadian
BullyCanadian has a spectacular aura aboutBullyCanadian has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
First test I'd try is to turn steering wheel while watching the steering shaft (goes thru floor near brake pedal). If the shaft turns when you turn wheel the intermediate shaft could have broken or came loose underneath.

If the shaft does not turn when you rotate steering wheel .... OMG!!!
Do I have to put it up on a hoist to do this? Or can I observe it from within the car or under the hood? Also just judging by what I feel, its almost as if there is no connection between the steering wheel and whatever its connected too.

If the shaft does not turn, is it a huge issue? I just thank my lucky stars it didn't happen to me on the highway while driving to my friends place I'm very freaked out even thinking about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BullyCanadian reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2012, 08:52 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to beholdfar2grumpy is a splendid one to behold

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

If steering wheel turns freely - no need to elevate the little bugger for this simple test ... turn the wheel and see if the inside shaft turns.

I try to visit forum often but suggest you use private messages if in a rush (comes to cell) and include email address for extracts. I seldom check visitor messages so please don't use.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #6
Double GG
Double GG is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

You'll see the shaft and boot as it goes through the firewall just beyond the brake pedal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Double GG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Double GG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Double GG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Couldn't the coupling came loose under the dash?

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 11

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
Couldn't the coupling came loose under the dash?
I wish we knew more ... this could be the most serious problem I've heard of with Vue's of any model year.

There was a service bulletin to adjust the intermediate shaft pinch bolt for a few Vue's ... I was thinking if the bolt came loose the steering shaft could separate from steering gear (see thumbnail).

The OP mentioned clicking and binding a few days before failure - some good clues there - I'll be parking mine until I hear more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pinch Bolt.jpg (140.0 KB, 120 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Something sounds off (to me)... if it's simply a disconnection at the rack, why would all electronics in the steering wheel stop responding?

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
BullyCanadian

2003 VUE 2.2L

Just checked, the drive shaft going through the firewall does rotate while turning the steering wheel. I'm having my mechanic look at it this morning and will get back to everyone.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #11
Chev_Ron
Chev_Ron is on a distinguished road

2002 VUE 2.2L

This is one of the most bizarre mechanical failures that I have ever heard of. OP, I'm glad that this didn't happen while you were driving at speed. I hope that you get the Vue back up and running soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chev_Ron's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chev_Ron reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chev_Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
Something sounds off (to me)... if it's simply a disconnection at the rack, why would all electronics in the steering wheel stop responding?
It appears the steering wheel mechanism has no mechanical internal stops - it depends on the steering gear to reach end-to-end for steering limits.

There's also a clock-spring to carry signals for air bag horn, cruise and radio through the column for operator use and protection.

I suspect if the steering wheel is not limited in number of turns the coiled wiring in the clock-spring will be sheared by brute force.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Just checked, the drive shaft going through the firewall does rotate while turning the steering wheel. I'm having my mechanic look at it this morning and will get back to everyone.
In a way - thats good news.

Perhaps the pinch bolt failed. I've attached a service bulletin to give you an idea of fix - IF THIS IS THE PROBLEM.

Sounds like you'll also need to replace the steering column coil (clock-spring).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 04 Vue - Strn Shaft SB.pdf (68.7 KB, 100 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2012, 10:47 AM   #14
RedGeminiPA
RedGeminiPA will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
It appears the steering wheel mechanism has no mechanical internal stops - it depends on the steering gear to reach end-to-end for steering limits.

There's also a clock-spring to carry signals for air bag horn, cruise and radio through the column for operator use and protection.

I suspect if the steering wheel is not limited in number of turns the coiled wiring in the clock-spring will be sheared by brute force.
That makes sense. Is this an intensive job for a DIY project? I've thought about taking the steering wheel in my '04 apart to repaint the gray trim around it. It appears previous owner(s) must've held the wheel frequently on the top sides, wearing off the paint. Why GM couldn't just use black plastic for these and the dash trim pieces...

Avid Apple, car and vacuum enthusiast. Don't hate! ;)

Current:
'04 FWD 3.5L

Previous:
'05 AWD Red Line
'02 L200

http://www.facebook.com/SaturnFansNorthEast

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RedGeminiPA's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RedGeminiPA reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RedGeminiPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:42 AM   #15
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedGeminiPA View Post
That makes sense. Is this an intensive job for a DIY project? I've thought about taking the steering wheel in my '04 apart to repaint the gray trim around it. It appears previous owner(s) must've held the wheel frequently on the top sides, wearing off the paint. Why GM couldn't just use black plastic for these and the dash trim pieces...
Removing the steering wheel probably wouldn't be a big deal. See post # 2 of following thread for a few files to get you started.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho....php?t=133371#

I recall one or two owners changing the SIR coil for various reasons. I've attached an extract for 03 Vue replacement to give you an idea.

Let me know if you'd like extracts for your specific model year.

I'm thinking SIR coils are configured differently by year groups based on number of wires required at steering wheel: 02-03, 04-05 and 06-07.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 03 Vue - SIR Module R2.pdf (110.8 KB, 29 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #16
BullyCanadian

2003 VUE 2.2L

Mechanic called me, looks like its the steering rack that completely failed. Ordered one in will be ready tomorrow.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-22-2012, 08:50 PM   #17
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The steering wheel turns freely around and around, tires do nothing, and there is no more power going to the steering wheel as well (horn doesn't work, cruise light doesn't come on) what can the issue be?
In addition to the diagnosed rack you are likely going to need a new clock spring and perhaps a fuse or two. If you spun the wheel past the normal limits of where it would normally turn you have likely damaged the clockspring.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #18
BullyCanadian

2003 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
In addition to the diagnosed rack you are likely going to need a new clock spring and perhaps a fuse or two. If you spun the wheel past the normal limits of where it would normally turn you have likely damaged the clockspring.
Coilspring will be replaced (my mechanic didn't replace it) what fuses would be replaced or would I need electrical wiring? he has changed the steering rack and of course no power to the horn, airbag or cruise control...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #19
far2grumpy
Master Member

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Coilspring will be replaced (my mechanic didn't replace it) what fuses would be replaced or would I need electrical wiring? he has changed the steering rack and of course no power to the horn, airbag or cruise control...
I'd most definitely remove the 10A Air Bag fuse from the IP fuse/relay box since you're not sure how many internal coil wires were mangled - and possibly shorted - when steering wheel was over-rotated.

I doubt if horn or cruise fuses are blown - but you could check, and the damaged wiring will be internal to coil/clockspring.

You might recheck posts 12, 13 and 15 since I'd previously posted info pertaining to replacing coil/clockspring.

Please tell us if the failure was internal to the steering rack or linkage leading to the rack.

Did the mechanic install a new rack?

I don't know if you're in U.S. or Canada but if U.S. please visit the NHTSA website to report the failure (Canada probably has an equivalent).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #20
halfpipe
halfpipe is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 2.2L

something similar just happend to my 2005 vue
freaked out scary

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to halfpipe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help halfpipe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
halfpipe is offline   Reply With Quote