SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2011, 01:10 AM   #1
patpatt
patpatt is on a distinguished road

Default Was ABS standard on a 2000 LW2?

I can find nothing in the original window sticker that would indicate our 2000 LW2 has ABS or traction control. Yet my daughter is getting an ABS light on the dashboard. Does that make sense? Was ABS and/or traction control standard on the 2000 LW2?
Sorry, but the car is not where I can inspect for ABS parts. If ABS wasn't standard on those cars, I may have to tell her to take it to a mechanic where she lives in order to determine whether it has it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to patpatt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help patpatt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
patpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #2
Frostman
Frostman will become famous soon enoughFrostman will become famous soon enough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
1993 SL1
Default Re: Was ABS standard on a 2000 LW2?

Well my 02 has traction control and abs, my moms 04 had tc and abs, so I am going to have to go out and a limb here and say it was probably a standard option for the wagons.
After doing a search on consumerguide I found this

http://consumerguideauto.howstuffwor...l-series-8.htm

Apparently it was an option. If her ABS light it on, it may be the ABS speed sensor has failed. It's 36 bucks from rockauto.com. Mine sometimes comes on during the winter when I am being silly with the e brake. It clears up eventually, probably from snow building up near it. My moms car also has her ABS light on, and with our OBD2 scanner, it pulls up the speed sensor as well as the issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Frostman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Frostman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Frostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
patpatt
patpatt is on a distinguished road

Frostman, thanks for the info and link. The options at that link check exactly with the 3 options that are installed on that car and are on the window sticker. Are you saying that not only are ABS and traction control on your car and your mom's, but also they were standard on those cars? I would feel more comfortable saying ABS was standard on a 2000 if it was standard on an earlier car, rather than a later car.
Based on what I'm seeing in the documentation and it's close agreement with the link you sent, I'm inclined to believe that ABS was not standard in 2000.
Any other input out there?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to patpatt's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help patpatt reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
patpatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 09:36 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Having the ABS indicator ON pretty much says it all; the car has ABS and its indicating something failed and it will not provide ABS. Its not likely an errant bulb that was turned on inexplicably. Please do not misinterpret this to mean the car has lost braking capability as some have feared. Long before ABS became an option and now almost standard for all USA cars, our brakes always worked as designed - remember when brakes locked up on dry roads and caused skidding/sliding? Well, the lack of ABS just returns braking to what they always did; perfectly good brakes when used correctly in conditions that allows traction to control stopping. Once driving beyond conditions where braking is less effective, locking up will occur. Loss of traction control (where ABS is effective). Otherwise known as crashing over there instead of here. Learning to control braking was never taught anywhere and experience tends to teach how we learn braking is effective or not. The car will still stop with brakes. It will not have ABS, that's all. As if ABS were never installed.

ABS was never meant to be used all the time but in extreme emergency conditions that are unavoidable. The majority of ABS activation is with driving above and beyond the conditions for good traction control. Speeding and suddenly jamming the brakes that locks up but when ABS activates, no wheel locks up and extends stopping distances. Most drivers are clueless to this fact and use ABS as a crutch to poor driving attitude.

The ABS light indicates that ABS is disabled for failure of (most likely) a wheel sensor, reluctor or outboard wiring going to each sensor. No store reader/scanner will display ABS error codes. Only ABS readers will do this or in any GM service center. Better brake shops may have the expertise to find and fix the cause of ABS errors. Call.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:07 AM   #5
bill buttermore
bill buttermore will become famous soon enough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

My 2000 L-Series wagon 3.0 did not have ABS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bill buttermore's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bill buttermore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bill buttermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:04 PM   #6
Jonnyferrari
Jonnyferrari is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill buttermore View Post
My 2000 L-Series wagon 3.0 did not have ABS.
wdf that is a surprise

[Sold] 2000 Saturn LS2 premium package; 120k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonnyferrari's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonnyferrari reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonnyferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 01:06 AM   #7
mattachuz
Advanced Member
mattachuz is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

my 2000 LS1 has ABS and trac control

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattachuz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattachuz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattachuz is offline   Reply With Quote