SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #1
zoomboom
zoomboom is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default L-Series Flywheel and Pressure Plate bolts

My 2.2l 5 speed manual transaxle is now ready for a new clutch and slave cylinder to be installed.

Before putting things back together, can anyone confirm:
-whether or not the factory service manual calls for the flywheel to crankshaft bolts to be replaced whenever removed
-whether or not the factory service manual calls for the clutch pressure plate bolts to be replaced whenever removed
-what torque is recommended for both the flywheel bolts and the clutch pressure plate bolts

I'm not sure if I can believe my Haynes manual.....the GM dealer has provided different advice.

Thanks for any help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zoomboom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zoomboom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zoomboom is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #2
bill buttermore
bill buttermore will become famous soon enough

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default Re: L-Series Flywheel and Pressure Plate bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomboom View Post
My 2.2l 5 speed manual transaxle is now ready for a new clutch and slave cylinder to be installed.

Before putting things back together, can anyone confirm:
-whether or not the factory service manual calls for the flywheel to crankshaft bolts to be replaced whenever removed
-whether or not the factory service manual calls for the clutch pressure plate bolts to be replaced whenever removed
-what torque is recommended for both the flywheel bolts and the clutch pressure plate bolts

I'm not sure if I can believe my Haynes manual.....the GM dealer has provided different advice.

Thanks for any help.
For the flywheel to crankshaft bolts, my 2000 L61 FSM (page 660) says to use new bolts and torque to 39 ft-lb + 25 degrees

looking for the pressure plate bolts now....

In the transmission section of the FSM, (page 180) no mention is made of new bolts that I can find. Same torque spec given for flywheel to crank, and for PP to flywheel bolts are to be tightened in a criss-cross pattern evenly turning no bolt more than 1/2 turn at a time. Torque spec is 11 ft-lb

I use blue threadlocker on flywheel and pressure plate bolts when I do 'em.

Last edited by bill buttermore; 02-09-2011 at 10:52 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bill buttermore's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bill buttermore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bill buttermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 01:02 PM   #3
bill buttermore

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Let me clarify this comment:

In the transmission section of the 2000 Saturn L-series factory service manual (page 180), no mention is made of new bolts for either the crank/flywheel or pressure plate/flywheel. The same torque spec. is given for flywheel to crank bolts, (39 ft-lb + 25 degrees) as in the engine section of the FSM. For the pressure plate housing to the flywheel, bolts are to be tightened in a criss-cross progressive pattern evenly, turning no bolt more than 1/2 turn at a time. Torque spec is 11 ft-lb.

Last edited by bill buttermore; 02-09-2011 at 01:14 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bill buttermore reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
zoomboom

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thanks for the research Bill.

My Haynes manual suggested replacing the pressure plate bolts, which makes no sense given their low torque and excellent condition. I think I will just reuse with LockTite.

Neither Haynes nor the local GM parts folks recommend replacing the flywheel bolts, despite the fact that their torque spec reads like it might be torque-to-yield. The flywheel bolts are a Grade 11 bolt manufactured by KAMAX, and very costly to replace (about $14 /bolt up here). I'm still debating replacement, but at this point I'm half regretting removal of the flywheel, as it was still in very good shape.

I guess the bonus is that I was able to get to all of these parts without loosening any subframe bolts, so I don't need to buy all new subframe/steering gear bolts and carriage nuts, as recommended in the manual.

Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help zoomboom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2011, 12:08 AM   #5
bill buttermore

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

If it were me, I would try to obtain one new bolt, or better yet go to the dealer with my digital caliper and one of my old bolts in hand. I would ask if I could look at one if they had any in stock, purchasing one if that was the only way they would let me look. I would measure the length and diameter of the new bolt. If my old bolts looked good (good threads and good bearing surface under the head) and measured the same as the new bolts, I would not be afraid to re-use them. I am not recommending others re-use TTY bolts, just saying what I would do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:14 AM   #6
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I re-used these bolts in my recent engine swap. There was no mention in my FSM of replacing them. I would not re-use the flywheel bolts more than once, though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 09:30 PM   #7
zoomboom

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

For what it's worth, I bought one of GM's $14 (in Canada) replacement flywheel bolts to compare. It is a lower grade (10.9) bolt from a different supplier. It has a slightly shallower hex head and is 1-2 mm shorter, and I'm not convinced that this is a "stretch" difference in length. The original KAMAX bolt was evidently higher quality. Thanks to all for your advice.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!