SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 12:05 AM   #1
QuadKewl
QuadKewl is on a distinguished road

Default New sound system (adding a amp and sub to a factory system)

Hi all.

I just added a sub and amp to my 04 Ion QC. I have the advanced audio system with the 6 disk cd/mp3 player so I did not want to replace my head unit. Here is what I did.

Components:

I bought a Jenson JPX720 amp from eBay for 40$ with shipping. This is a two channel amp that will run 350 watts rms and 720 peak when bridged to 1 channel.

I used a high level converter to deliver the signal to the amp via RCA cables. 20$ from a local stereo store (it was 30 but I talked him down to 20)

I used a single 12 sub. I bought a JBL GT120 12'' Subwoofer on eBay for 75$ with shipping.

I constructed my on cabinet since I could not find one exactly 1 sq ft. volume. I drew up the plans with the rear of the box sitting on an 11 degree angle to match the angle of the rear seat. I used one sheet of ¾” MDF one 4’x 8’. 1 sheet was about $20 at home depot.

Finally I bought a 8 gage Street Wire kit for 40$ from a local stereo store (it was 60 but I talked him down to 40)

Because the battery, rear speakers, and factory amp were all accessible from the trunk, installation was a snap. I used the rear left and right speaker wires along with the power and ground leads from the factory amp to wire up the high level converter. Next I hooked the street wire power lead directly to the battery and ran it into the amp. I drilled a new hole for the amp ground lead as it was easier the hooking it to the battery. I tapped into the factory amp for the amp remote. It is the pink wire (row b pin 5 I think). Next I strung the street wire RCAs from the high level converter into the amp.

Then I cranked it up and enjoyed. It really sounds great. The headlights actually dim when the base hits. I was initially worried that the inferior sound quality of Jensen amp would really affect the sound quality, but it doesn’t. I think the match of the cabinet and rear seat angles help the base to resonate through the passenger compartment. I can notice the difference when I move the box away from the seat. I have the plans for the cabinet if anyone is interested.

Sorry for the long post but I though this might help someone.

M@

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to QuadKewl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help QuadKewl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2004, 09:42 AM   #2
bama
bama is on a distinguished road

Definately get a capacitor and a new battery. If you are not keeping consistent 13.8v while the car is running, your are not using the full power of the sub.

I would buy a 1 farad capicitor per 500 watts RMS and an Optima yellow top battery.

Bill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bama's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bama reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-12-2004, 07:18 PM   #3
BlackNRedIon
BlackNRedIon is on a distinguished road

any pics?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlackNRedIon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlackNRedIon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-12-2004, 09:56 PM   #4
QuadKewl

i have not finished the box with any um errr finish. It is raw MDF but yeah, I take a pic and upload it.

m@

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help QuadKewl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-13-2004, 02:29 AM   #5
QuadKewl

Hey Bama, do you have a GM part number for that Fascia?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-27-2004, 04:30 AM   #6
kfaber
kfaber is on a distinguished road

I have the 6disc in dash/mp3 setup in my ion 2, and was wondering if I would have a factory amp installed as well. I dont think I do...is it standard? anyways, if I dont, where woudl i run the remote wire?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kfaber's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kfaber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2004, 04:10 PM   #7
FASTPLANET
FASTPLANET is on a distinguished road

only cars with the "advanced audio" have an amp.
check your window sticker if you still have it! or lock under the rear dash/deck. youll see the amp if its there, you cant miss it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FASTPLANET's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FASTPLANET reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-27-2004, 09:12 PM   #8
Doug
Doug is on a distinguished road

I had the 6 disc changer in my '04 QC with my upgraded 6.5 Infinities/components and 2 10" subs + amps and couldn't stand the sound quality. I ended up throwing in a nice Alpine with 3 outputs to clean up the sound. I hated to part with the 6 disk too, but it was well worth it! PS...anyone need a 6 disk? lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Doug's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Doug reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-28-2004, 12:00 PM   #9
Vita
Vita is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug
I had the 6 disc changer in my '04 QC with my upgraded 6.5 Infinities/components and 2 10" subs + amps and couldn't stand the sound quality. I ended up throwing in a nice Alpine with 3 outputs to clean up the sound. I hated to part with the 6 disk too, but it was well worth it! PS...anyone need a 6 disk? lol
got dibs on the 6 disk, sent you a PM too

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Vita's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Vita reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2004, 04:03 AM   #10
kfaber
kfaber is on a distinguished road

Dizzy

im pretty sure i dont have it, but where woudl i run the remote wire?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kfaber's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kfaber reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread