SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2019, 10:25 PM   #1
Murphys_ghosy
Murphys_ghosy has a spectacular aura aboutMurphys_ghosy has a spectacular aura aboutMurphys_ghosy has a spectacular aura about

1998 SW2
Happy RWD conversion

My ex wife screwed me hard. Iíve dropped a bunch of money into rebuilding a Ford Ranger and she left and got the title, but she left the truck with no title to just scrap. Normally, people want to get their ex back by doing some random, desperate act of adultery with a close friend of theirs, but I have a much more productive idea...

Iím pulling the transmission back on the ranger and Iím sticking it on the Saturn; itís a mid 90ís Ranger supercab with a M5OD 5-speed from a 4 cylinder, and the Saturn is a 98/99 SW2 with a 5 speed/SOHC setup. I am also going to turn the bed into a trailer.

I know this is tenacious but I am hellbent on getting my revenge AND my moneyís worth. Does anyone make an adapter to mate the bellhousing to the engine, and does anyone have any advice? I love my Saturn and itís a lifer that i already rebuilt twice, so Iím going to stay with it and build something insane.

And for the record, when I am done, I plan on leaving the cab thatís titled to her on her front lawn with a little note that says ďYou forgot this!Ē

98 SW2 - 184k
04 Bonneville SE - 215k

RIP
99 SL1 - 167k organ donor/future rat rod
99 SL1 - 300k towed to car heaven

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Murphys_ghosy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Murphys_ghosy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Murphys_ghosy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2019, 03:50 PM   #2
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really niceSaturn Night is just really nice

1995 SC2
Default Re: RWD conversion

It would be easier to adapt the wiring and run the 2.5L Ford Four banger, than it will be to get a bellhousing adapter made to longitudinally mount the Saturn 1.9L

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 05:12 PM   #3
SC2Sick
Advanced Member
SC2Sick will become famous soon enough

1997 SC2
1995 SW2

It's always the SOHC guys coming up with these pipe dreams...

sixthsphere.com owner
2002 Saturn SL2 - RHD

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC2Sick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC2Sick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SC2Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:54 PM   #4
Sir Wagonsky
Sir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

You asked for advice.. sooo.. Easier and cheaper to just -

-Buy a $100 dead Ranger and pick a weekend. Do not discuss anything "truck" with ex.

- move everything worthwhile off the "ex-truck" and over to the keeper truck. If your "bunch of money into rebuilding" is in the engine or trans, just get it swapped and mounted. Leave the hoses and wires and linkage crap for later.

- Doesn't have to be pretty when you throw the dead gear in the truck you're scrapping, either.

- Flip flop any body panels and again, you are just transferring for parts custody. Do the lineup and stuff later.

- Scrap the "ex-truck" on Monday.

- Get the new truck running securely. When the ex plays the "title" game, wave yours in front of her face. Or you can also demand she get her "junk truck" towed off your property. (instead of step 5)

.... advice from Sir Wagonsky is for entertainment purposes only.
This information is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional legal advice.
Always talk with your legal professional about any questions you may have regarding separation of property...

☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠

Last edited by Sir Wagonsky; 08-21-2019 at 07:08 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sir Wagonsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sir Wagonsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sir Wagonsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:06 PM   #5
Sir Wagonsky
Sir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the roughSir Wagonsky is a jewel in the rough

2008 SKY
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

LOL

☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sir Wagonsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-22-2019, 11:41 AM   #6
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

^ ^ ^ that's clever, swapping out the parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphys_ghosy View Post
My ex wife screwed me hard. Iíve dropped a bunch of money into rebuilding a Ford Ranger and she left and got the title, but she left the truck with no title to just scrap.
Can you clarify? Were you forced to sign off the title in the divorce, and she refuses to do anything with the title or truck, forcing you to scrap it because you can't insure/register it?

Or did she just take the piece of paper with her? If so, whose name(s) is actually on the title?

Quote:
Normally, people want to get their ex back by doing some random, desperate act of adultery with a close friend of theirs, but I have a much more productive idea...
I dunno, a random act of adultery with one (or more) of her "close" friends sounds pretty productive to me. . . . less work, more rewarding. And hopefully fewer busted knuckles and dirty hands

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 11:29 PM   #7
Murphys_ghosy
Murphys_ghosy has a spectacular aura aboutMurphys_ghosy has a spectacular aura aboutMurphys_ghosy has a spectacular aura about

1998 SW2

First off, yes us SOHC guys are always up to this funny business, we all know.

She has the name on the title to a disassembled truck. I can cut my losses with most of the truck and say itís the price I pay, but the actual drivetrain I want for the swap was never in the truck - I purchased a 2.3 I4 and a 5 speed to swap in, using what parts I could from the thoroughly seized v6/auto (power steering pump, ac, alternator, etc.) and a few odds and ends from the pull yard to do exactly what i did to my Saturn years ago - swap down for fuel efficiency.

I should also clarify that we have been together for a decade and have a child, and although I have called her my wife and treated her as such, we were not married on paper and only qualify as commonlaw by the books - so i have no stake in this truck now. I was trying to get cheaper insurance through her and had it titled in her name even though I paid for it and put all the work into it (it was going to be my work truck).

Since I originally posted, somebody broke into it and I still canít figure out what they stole. I think it was a bottle jack but Iím stumped because I havenít gotten a chance to really get into it and search. Either way, Iím pissed about it and I want to get my moneyís worth before the whole truck disappears...

Iím about to be hemorrhaging money over a lawyer over other messed up details so I wanted to cheer myself up by doing something cool with the parts that i have. I have since determined that maybe trading ranger parts for an s10 transmission, rear end, and suspension would work better since I have heard the bolt pattern is close sans two bolts on the bottom. No clue where that old article went but I read it years ago in a post about a Triumph TR6.

And I know it isnít easy. I have a welder whoís been doing stuff for fun like this for about 25 years who offered help, and I was considering the biggest expense to be hiring a machinist to make a bracket. I was dead serious - it floods down here in New Orleans and I want to lift my saturn and just have fun with it.

98 SW2 - 184k
04 Bonneville SE - 215k

RIP
99 SL1 - 167k organ donor/future rat rod
99 SL1 - 300k towed to car heaven

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Murphys_ghosy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Murphys_ghosy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Murphys_ghosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:07 PM   #8
Sir Wagonsky

2008 SKY
2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

I just want to say, Murf, a nice crafty hardware project with your hands is a good idea. With separations, it can get pretty stressful, and 24/7 stress will mess you up. Doing something you enjoy is a good way to provide balance, like a see-saw. Let the ex rattle to pieces 24/7. Mine lost her checkbook, crashed her car, ect.. You make sure to forget about her a little bit daily so you can recharge. Rest so you have the power to fight. This works.

Now, about the " cut the azz-end off the Ranger and make a trailer and put a Ford trans in a Saturn" project. That just sounds like a hassle and contradicts the advice in paragraph 1.
But if that's what you enjoy, go for it. Weld all the parts together and make a lawn-art dinosaur if that's what floats your boat. I have no advice for the project, but have fun & I do wish you Good luck !

☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠ ☠
☠ ☠ ☠

Last edited by Sir Wagonsky; 08-23-2019 at 01:18 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2019, 10:48 PM   #9
Hiisi
Hiisi is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

I think the engine has nothing to do in front of the car. Make it mid-engine
Maybe it's easier just decorate Ranger with plastic Saturn parts...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hiisi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hiisi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hiisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2019, 03:17 AM   #10
can0fspam
can0fspam has a spectacular aura aboutcan0fspam has a spectacular aura aboutcan0fspam has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

I second the mid-engine idea. Take the Saturn engine and trans and put it behind the driver's seat so it will drive the rear wheels.

Then you can top the oil off while driving on the highway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to can0fspam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help can0fspam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
can0fspam is offline   Reply With Quote