SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2019, 02:09 AM   #1
Amak
Amak is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2001 SC2
Default Oil change time interval

I found myself in a unique situation and need guidance.

I know for my S-series, 3k mi is the general interval. But, I'll soon have a job that will have me driving in town (stoplights and all) for maybe 6mi max daily (home and back). My question is, since it'd take me 500 days or so to hit 3k, how often should I change?

I've hunted around and could not find an answer, and I know Satty likes to burn a bit, but over a year on even synthetic seems a bit much.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Amak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Amak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Amak is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2019, 04:35 AM   #2
GTS350
GTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the roughGTS350 is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
Default Re: Oil change time interval

Typically the interval will be listed as 3000 mi or 6 months (whichever comes first).

1999 Saturn SC2 (automatic) 23,000 orig miles (9/10/16)
1996 BMW E36
1971 Holden Monaro GTS 350
1908 Buick Model 10

Its official Saturn Night has removed all doubt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GTS350's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GTS350 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GTS350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 06:42 AM   #3
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

That's going to be hard on any engine. Short haul kills.

Any other options? Bicycle? Public transport?

Electric would be a good option.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 07:49 AM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amak View Post
I found myself in a unique situation and need guidance.

I know for my S-series, 3k mi is the general interval. But, I'll soon have a job that will have me driving in town (stoplights and all) for maybe 6mi max daily (home and back). My question is, since it'd take me 500 days or so to hit 3k, how often should I change?

I've hunted around and could not find an answer, and I know Satty likes to burn a bit, but over a year on even synthetic seems a bit much.
High quality full synthetic or you will have a monster oil burner. Be sure to run at least 45 minutes on the highway each week as well.

You need to monitor running time and not miles. The link below gives you an idea of why you want the synthetic oil.
https://www.amsoil.com/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf Look at service life.

I would suggest that for those short trips look at a sample at 100 hours and go from there to come up with a good interval.

Not all synthetic oils are identical either.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 10:02 AM   #5
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

> Be sure to run at least 45 minutes on the highway each week as well.

Good advice. Do that AFTER running in rain. Moisture from combustion accumulates in short runs; 45minute drives dry out the innards.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 12:04 PM   #6
focusofheart
focusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the roughfocusofheart is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Over the last 5 years my Saturn is only used during the week. Due to the 20 mile round trip I make twice a day, I get my oil changed every 3 months, regardless of mileage, per my father's advice.

Spending a small amount of money for an oil change, tire rotation and car inspection seems to keep her running well. I use Castrol® GTX® High Mileage Oil which is a synthetic blend motor oil. Being proactive curbs most mechanically problems for me as well.

During most of my daily route, I average 50 mile speed limits, with little traffic, so I hop onto the freeway once or twice a week for a 15 minute drive.

Additionally, since I am near 2 freeways, I tend to use them to cover some of the daily drive of about 5 miles each day, when possible.

So far this routine has kept my Saturn running well since my forte is tailoring/sewing rather than car repair.

1998 SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to focusofheart's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help focusofheart reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
focusofheart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 03:28 AM   #7
Amak
Amak is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
2001 SC2

I cannot get multi-reply to work....

Oldnuc, I will take that info into account for sure! I'll use 6mo as a rough guide and tweak from there.

As for other ways.... biking in that area is pretty dangerous and I can't afford another car so no to electric. Wondering if I should just use my 97 Sedan as a beater of sorts and baby my 01 Coupe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Amak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Amak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Amak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 04:56 AM   #8
onlinebiker
Advanced Member
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Here's my out of the box thinking option -

If only city driving - 35 mph and under - less than 10 miles per day -----

A one wheel drive unit. A 40v motor driving a cable drive to an engagement bendix to one rear wheel. The rear wheel would have a geared plate ( think a Saturn flywheel mounted between the rim and brake drum. The whole power unit could mount in the spare tire well.

Simply put the standard transmission in neutral - and hit the juice. Have a speed controller hooked to the gas pedal. For simplicity sake - no reverse. Use the gas engine if you must.

You'll be the first on your block to have an S series hybrid.

92 SC2
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
01 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is online now   Reply With Quote