SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
nohairtopullout
nohairtopullout is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2001 SC2
Default BCM problem I think - need advice

Hello all, here's the story. 2001 LW 200 with approx 170,000 miles. Battery about 1.5 years old. Battery light came on (was noticed) around 5 miles from home. Had to work the next day so it was driven about 10 miles to work and a few miles out to lunch where the car died. (This was not me. My son-in-law). Would not shift out of Park, airbag light on, ABS light on, Service light on (wrench). Manually lifted shift interlock so got it in neutral and car was towed home. I changed the alternator (battery was disconnected during this time) and jumped battery and battery charged and new (rebuilt) alternator was putting out 14.5V. But the airbag light was still on and it still wouldn't shift out of park, also the doors would not lock or unlock with the fob or the door lock button. A few days later everything cleared up except the airbag light. Today I noticed the odometer had rolled back to zero. It only had the miles he drove to get here. Tried the 30 minute reset procedure with no help. Any ideas? Thanks, you guys have saved my skin numerous times in the past.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nohairtopullout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nohairtopullout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nohairtopullout is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2019, 04:57 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: BCM problem I think - need advice

Press the odometer stick pin to change from total accumulated mileage to trip mode. You should be able to switch from one mode to the other. Do you see accumulated mileage? Can you reset the trip mileage holding down the stick pin for several seconds?

Check first for any blown or loose fuses for the bcm (see drawings below) and loose connections (above the glove box) before concluding a bcm issue. Search within these forums for bcm issues to have background info. If this is the beginning of bcm failure, you have options (used or new).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TifToGif.jpg (126.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg TifToGif (1).jpg (155.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg TifToGif (2).jpg (199.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: gif TifToGif (3).gif (22.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: gif TifToGif (4).gif (23.4 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 05:04 PM   #3
Al10453
Al10453 is on a distinguished road

When mine went bad both times I put in the freezer for about 5 min. then installed it back it to the car. All the problems went away till it warmed up again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Al10453's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Al10453 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Al10453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:33 PM   #4
nohairtopullout
nohairtopullout is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Wagon
2001 SC2

Thanks, I'll check the fuses and connections and even the freezer trick. Does it help that none of these problems happened until it was run until it died? Maybe the voltage regulator fried something?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nohairtopullout's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nohairtopullout reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nohairtopullout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 11:05 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There are two voltage regulators, alternator - regulated between 12v-15v and 5v regulator in each control module requiring 5v for logic level signals. The ubiquitous 12v to 5v voltage regulator are part of all auto electronics where 12v-15v battery power is regulated down to 5v for integrated circuit boards. Two areas would be considered if one or both regulated voltages fails. 12v auto electric systems are generally designed to operate between a low of 9 volts to as high as 15 volts dc. Below 9v and current cannot power solenoids or dc motors. Above 15 volts and higher currents may cause overheating and damage. Electronics are strictly regulated with their own voltage regulators to prevent the same occurrence of damage. With electronics requiring 12v and 5v, any voltage deviation from minimums and maximums are handled differently. Electronics must operate in a narrow voltage range. When voltages dip too low, electronics goes to sleep - too little power reduces electronics circuit effectiveness and sluggish behavior may be seen as unusual symptoms. The easiest example of sluggish and going to sleep is our radios, running on 12v and 5v. With radio on, turn off the ignition switch (cutting power to the radio). High power circuits like the radio display dims immediately while the speakers drops volume until no more radio noise. Without skipping a beat, turning the ignition switch powers up the radio with display noise returning. The radio goes to sleep on its last setting (with standby 12v power needed to keep preset stations in 5v memory alive) and returns to the same station when main power is returned. No harm, no foul. Memory presets are lost if battery negative is disconnected. All electronics are protected against low and high voltages in most situations. Its up to the alternator voltage regulator to supply operating voltages for electronics while recharging the battery. 13v-15v is the ideal alternator regulated range with 14.7v the perfect average regulated voltage.

With electronics designed with near total reliability from years of operating in real world conditions, individual module failures can occur for any reason; poor solder joints, mechanical stress to electrical connections on circuit boards, corrosion, ic chip internal failure, etc. Voltage regulation failure my be unheard of since no one outside of bench technician knowledge of auto electronics repairs (if this exists at all) may be the only people to have opinions. Circuit boards are no longer repaired as much as the more cost effective solution is replacement. Bench technicians still exist in aviation but less so in automotive electronics. Some good examples are attempts from members here sending their ecm and bcm to third party places advertising expertise in repairs only to find Saturn modules do not lend themselves to repairs or programming. GMs scantool is the only programmer using proprietary software for programming VIN, mileage and other options for new blank modules. More for protection against tuners and thieves. Other GM vehicles do lend themselves to tuning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote