SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2006, 10:25 AM   #1
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

Default Oh NO! my engine seized!! :(

got the car today, drove it off the trailer and BOOM, engine seizes. Had to rev it up to 5k rpm's just to get it off, and when i turn the key, the starter engages, but doesnt crank. Doesnt click repeatedly.. just doesnt crank. I'm guessing the timing chain snapped, because it had a bad timing chain rattle, and the clutch was slipping really bad. I also noticed that when i stuck my finger in the tailpipe, there was oil in there. The seller siad it burned oil, but theres actual oil in the muffler.

I hope to god its just the timing chain that snapped and i have a few bent valves, otherwise i'm in for a full engine rebuild. Most likely i'll get a junkyard engine to throw in there.

I dont know if its relavent or not, but after trying to crank for a minute or two, i popped the hood and saw smoke come out. I think it might have been from the starter or something, but i dont know whats going on.

Gonna tear the engine out tomorrow and start disassembling it.

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andy_95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2006, 11:02 AM   #2
97coupe
Master Member
97coupe is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Re: Oh NO! my engine seized!! :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_95sl2
got the car today, drove it off the trailer and BOOM, engine seizes. Had to rev it up to 5k rpm's just to get it off, and when i turn the key, the starter engages, but doesnt crank. Doesnt click repeatedly.. just doesnt crank. I'm guessing the timing chain snapped, because it had a bad timing chain rattle, and the clutch was slipping really bad. I also noticed that when i stuck my finger in the tailpipe, there was oil in there. The seller siad it burned oil, but theres actual oil in the muffler.

I hope to god its just the timing chain that snapped and i have a few bent valves, otherwise i'm in for a full engine rebuild. Most likely i'll get a junkyard engine to throw in there.

I dont know if its relavent or not, but after trying to crank for a minute or two, i popped the hood and saw smoke come out. I think it might have been from the starter or something, but i dont know whats going on.

Gonna tear the engine out tomorrow and start disassembling it.

Not sure why you would rev a enginewith a noisy chain to 5000 RPM to unload it because I would not. Winch it on and off if need be. I suspect that there is more than bent valves here and the smoke would likely be from rotor locked stater, unable to turn engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 97coupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 97coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
97coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:43 AM   #3
andy_95sl2
Master Member

I hope to god that its just the starter, because if it is, then i'll replace that really quick. Gotta wait till i get the engine out of the car so i can try to turn it by hand, or just take off the valve cover.

You can hear the starter engage, because it engages onto the flywheel, but doesnt turn it.

2009 BMW 128i -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2006, 08:02 PM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

What happens when you remove the spark plugs and turn the engine by hand from the crankshaft pulley?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 08:14 PM   #5
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

I seriously hope it didn't seize and it's something else, but if it did, do a rebuild and put nice parts in there and make a nice track car, LOL. Or let it be my track car, LOL.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 10:03 PM   #6
97coupe
Master Member

1997 SC2

Quote:
I hope to god that its just the starter, because if it is, then i'll replace that really quick. Gotta wait till i get the engine out of the car so i can try to turn it by hand, or just take off the valve cover.

You can hear the starter engage, because it engages onto the flywheel, but doesnt turn it.

It is not the starter that is causing problem. It is smoking because engine is locked up and starter cannot turn it and a starter will not survive long like that. 5 or 10 seconds atr most in a locked condition can toast it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 97coupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-29-2006, 10:19 PM   #7
andy_95sl2
Master Member

I didnt keep it engaged long. Maybe 2 seconds each at most and i tried repeatedly to try to free the brushes. I also have Ian from PlastikRacing and 6S that it may be from the slipping clutch. I'm guessing its just from the clutch, although the smoke did come up from the back of the engine by the firewall.

I'm so scared and mad at the same time. I'll try jumping the car tomorrow and if that doesnt work and i'm getting the same problem, i'll try turning the crank. Before trying to turn the crank i'll take off the valve cover and see if the chain is still there.

Now when i remove the TCC and go to reseal it, do i just add a bead of RTV, put it on and torque it down or do i have to wait a few hours to torque it down? It seems like i just put RTV in the channel and press it on because its a channel.. know what i mean?

2009 BMW 128i -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-29-2006, 11:02 PM   #8
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Dude, takes less than 1 minute to take the valve cover off.

You're gonna really KILL that starter first before checking stuff out first? Unbelieveable.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2006, 11:09 PM   #9
andy_95sl2
Master Member

no you dont get what i mean. Tomorrow afternoon when i go to votech, i'm going to start it again. Hopefully the starter just got too hot. If it doesnt crank over, but engages and the lights get dim, i'll try jumping it. If that doesnt work, i'll take the valve cover off. My auto shop teacher has a saying... K.I.S.S. "Keep It Simple Stupid". Try all the obvious things before getting too complicated.

2009 BMW 128i -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2006, 12:29 AM   #10
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Try all the obvious things before getting too complicated.
Obvious thing to try first is to see why the engine will not turn over. You have beaten up on the starter enough. Grab a hold of the accesory belt and pull it to try and turn the engine. If you can't do that then get a wrench/socket and ratchet on the crank pulley bolt and see if you can turn the engine.

The engine not turning over, the lights dimming every time you tried to start it and the smoke coming from the area of the starter all indicate that the starter is trying to turn the engine over but it will not.

You have made sure that there is oil in the engine?

Once you know if if the engine will not turn over by hand you need to find out why. It may be due to a siezed engine or it may be due to something in the clutch or trans. Have you been trying to start with the trans in neutral not just the clutch pedal down?

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:40 AM   #11
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Quote:
no you dont get what i mean. Tomorrow afternoon when i go to votech, i'm going to start it again. Hopefully the starter just got too hot. If it doesnt crank over, but engages and the lights get dim, i'll try jumping it. If that doesnt work, i'll take the valve cover off. My auto shop teacher has a saying... K.I.S.S. "Keep It Simple Stupid". Try all the obvious things before getting too complicated.

I get what you mean exactly. Kill the starter first before checking for other broken parts. You already tried turn the enigne over for "a minute or two" and all the starter did was smoke. That wasn't punishing enough and you're gonna do it all over again?

KISS would says Cost of new startor > valve cover gasket/turning crank by hand. I don't know what automotive thing you're studying for but if this is how you approach customer's car, you're not gonna be a tech for very long.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:59 PM   #12
andy_95sl2
Master Member

Alright, i was doing exactly what you meantioned, but my shop teacher told me to try jumping it before i do anything. Tried it and it didnt do anything. After that, i pulled the plugs and tried turning the engine.... wouldnt turn at all. Took the valve cover off and the chain is still there, and didnt jump timing at all. Basically, the motor is locked up. Drained the fluids, but not much oil came out, so i guess that was the problem. I'm in the market for a new engine now.

Pix will come as soon as i get the engine out of the car and opened up.

2009 BMW 128i -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-30-2006, 04:05 PM   #13
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

Quote:
Basically, the motor is locked up. Drained the fluids, but not much oil came out, so i guess that was the problem. I'm in the market for a new engine now.
*ahem*

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:18 PM   #14
kc5grw
kc5grw is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2

I feel for you man. I bought a '00 SC2 in late Sep. I had the car 4 days when the oil filter blew off the mount and promptly evacuated the sump in short order (Some bozo at a quickie change outfit put an "almost" correct fit metric filter on the SAE fitting). That oil pump can move a bunch of oil very quickly. I'm up and running again, but haven't taken the old engine apart yet.

1969 Barracuda Formula 340S
2000 Ford F350 PS Dually 6spd
2000 Saturn SC2 5spd
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kc5grw's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kc5grw reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kc5grw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 04:22 PM   #15
andy_95sl2
Master Member

I told my dad what we did today in shop class and he said that if i can get it in good working order and whatever, he may buy it from me to drive back and forth to work. Yay, manual swap car!

Anyway, i'll be taking the motor apart tomorrow and see what i need. I'll get the engine honed most likely and i'm definetly getting new rings.

2009 BMW 128i -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2006, 08:30 AM   #16
RangerRover
RangerRover is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2
1994 SL2

<----------(cough, cough, choke) You didnt check the oil???!!!!!!!! FIRST??!!!!!!! !?!?!?!!?!

You can tell Linux is made by geeks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RangerRover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RangerRover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RangerRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:48 AM   #17
97coupe
Master Member

1997 SC2

Quote:
Alright, i was doing exactly what you meantioned, but my shop teacher told me to try jumping it before i do anything. Tried it and it didnt do anything.

Your shop teacher is not too bright. A locked motor is a locked motor and no amount of battery power is going to fix it. Time to look for another motor before you need a new starter to (which you may need now anyway)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2006, 02:49 PM   #18
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

I always check the oil on any saturn I go to buy. Also check radiator fluid and see if there are any leaks. Unless you get it for VERY cheap, then there is no reason spending a lot to try to fix it. I actually tell people potentially more is wrong with the saturn than what I see and I usually get a good talk down in the price. hehe... that's how I got my sister her perfect SL1 for pretty cheap.

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sps SOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:48 PM   #19
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Don't be a dipstick, check your dipstick!!!! Sheesh.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote