SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2011, 12:54 PM   #1
thextakedown
thextakedown is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default Think I'll make it?

My best friend is moving to Ontario in October, and I was thinking about driving up there in my car with her because I have friends up there I wanted to see, as well with helping her move. All in all, I'm looking about a 1070 mile trip.

My SL1 has a few minor problems, the head gasket was replaced in 2009, so I don't have to worry about that. It does, need an alignment, a new ECTS, and a valve cover gasket. It's only got around 150k on it.

I know you all honestly can't give me a definite answer as my car will last the trip. Do you think it would though? Given all the mentioned problems were fixed before hand, of course. I mean before the head gasket went, my sister was driving it to and from Pittsburgh (which is basically the same distance away.)

1995 SL1 (Shayna) [151k miles, still running strong!]
Bought: 2/27/2007 (at 115k)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thextakedown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thextakedown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thextakedown is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
bendorfold
bendorfold is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
Default Re: Think I'll make it?

Hey neighbor!

Are you talking Canada or New York State? Ontario, Canada is a tad more than 512 miles.

You should be fine. Take oil and coolant with you. Having a AAA card doesn't hurt.

Keep in mind that the NYS Thruway/Turnpike is in the same condition as gravel roads are around here.

1996 SL2, 5-speed, 155,638 miles (149,600 when purchased), Nationwide Emission

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bendorfold's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bendorfold reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bendorfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 11:19 PM   #3
thextakedown
thextakedown is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

ATM, my friend won't give me the exact address of her boyfriend's. I do know, however it's somewhere in Peterborough, Ontario. I also mapped it from New Egypt/Jackson Twp cause she lives over there. Mapquest apparently said it's going to be 1070 miles.

Now she's saying her boyfriend is meeting us somewhere near Binghamton, NY, and he'll pack all the ***** in his Jeep to take her the rest of the way. I don't have my passport yet so I won't be able to get into/out of Canada, which works out. So now I'm looking at around 500 miles round trip. I think I said before, the car used to make it from Pittsburgh to New Jersey and back in it's glory days.

By the way you guys, stay safe from Irene, everyone in it's path! (I'm staying with my family in New Egypt, but we battened down the hatches =p)

1995 SL1 (Shayna) [151k miles, still running strong!]
Bought: 2/27/2007 (at 115k)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thextakedown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thextakedown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thextakedown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 08:52 AM   #4
davorocks
davorocks is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
1999 SW2

I would check my tire pressure, change the oil and drive. Have a good safe trip.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davorocks's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davorocks reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 11:32 AM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Do the ECTS before you go; time/money spent on it could easily be paid back in better fuel economy over that many miles. Alignment can kill fuel economy too, so consider that. Wife and I just did a 3000-mile trip in her truck; short notice (death in the family). If I had time, I coulda installed a short-ram intake and gotten an alignment, and the fuel saved would've paid for them both.

Valve cover gasket - depends on the severity of the leak. If it's slow, just bring extra oil and top up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 02:24 PM   #6
SLCraig
Master Member
SLCraig is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2000 SW2

Don't see why not.
My friend takes his 98 SW2 to New York every few weeks (From Ontario) and its been fine every time (minus a CEL here and there for P0341 )

1996 SL2 5MT
1997 SL1 5MT
2000 SW2 5MT
All gone, but not forgotten.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SLCraig's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SLCraig reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SLCraig is offline   Reply With Quote