SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2006, 12:58 PM   #1
delturcious
delturcious is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
Default Cruise control SLIPPING?

Here's a new one: I was driving up I-75 on Sunday to get my new header and engaged the cruise @ 72 like I always do. I glanced down after I set it, and my speed was stable. 30 seconds later, I was @ 65 I go through this a few more times, same effect. I know the cruise is engaging because the speed stays somewhat constant for a few seconds, but I decelerate at a MUCH slower rate than just by letting my foot off the gas.

After going through the first 150 or so posts that had "cruise control" in them, all I could find were some problems with a plastic piece that connects to the throttle cable close to the accelerator pedal. I highly doubt this is any type of electrical problem since it DOES engage-it just slows down. Is there anything else in particular (besides this plastic thing) that I should be looking for before I start pulling things apart?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to delturcious's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help delturcious reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
delturcious is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2006, 01:21 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2
Default Re: Cruise control SLIPPING?

Huh. That's just the opposite of the classic CC module failure, by which it accelerates the car above the set speed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
WingsOfSaturn
WingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enoughWingsOfSaturn will become famous soon enough

1998 SL2
1995 SL2

How are your battery and alternator voltages? Once my CC started acting real funny and I did not have the time to really look into it. A few weeks later my battery died (bad cell). I replaced the battery and afterwards the CC worked just fine.

Is your rear defroster working? That died at the same time too, but started working after the new battery. Its all magic.

"When you stop to fill up on oil, don't forget to check the gas"
98 SL2 MT 213K+ Daily Driver 38+ mpg
97 SL2 AT 150K Original Owner
95 SL2 MT 220K+
My Saturns have BRASS ones!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to WingsOfSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help WingsOfSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
WingsOfSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:44 PM   #4
delturcious

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
Huh. That's just the opposite of the classic CC module failure, by which it accelerates the car above the set speed.
Odd, aint it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by romzek
Is your rear defroster working? That died at the same time too, but started working after the new battery.
Well the last time I checked the defroster was working, but I'll take a look at that this evening. The alternator is about 2yrs old, and the battery maybe 3? I'll take a multimeter to it tonight and see what it reads, but I haven't had any troubles with the battery/alternator in a really long time. I have a decently powered stereo that is always able to pull enough juice, but I'll definitely give that a looksie. Thanks for the idea!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help delturcious reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-19-2006, 03:29 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Hmm, is the powered stereo on when the CC is misbehaving? Have you tried it while the stereo is off?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #6
delturcious

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
Hmm, is the powered stereo on when the CC is misbehaving? Have you tried it while the stereo is off?
No, but it's never been a problem before and at the time I was only using the amp on the front speakers (altec lansing 50w rms *2). I'll try it without that also, but it really doesn't seem like an electrical problem to me. Thanks again, and I'll post results later this evening.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
delturcious

1995 SC2

Batt voltage off ~12V, batt voltage idle ~13V, give or take a volt since I have a cheap analog multimeter. It cranks hard and fast like always, so it doesn't seem to be a battery problem, but thanks for the suggestion. When the car's off, should there be any slack in the cable that goes from the cruise motor (solenoid?) to the accelerator pedal? There's maybe a couple millimeters. Obviously I can't test this when I'm going down the highway @ 70mph...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2006, 07:14 AM   #8
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Run by a part store and have them check the alternator. 13 V is a little low. It may just be the accuracy of your meter but, it needs to be ruled out. If the cruise control is holding speed at all, I doubt it's the linkage to the pedal.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:21 AM   #9
delturcious

1995 SC2

I'll take it to Autozone or somewhere tonight and have them test it on the vehicle. You are right, it definitely needs to be ruled out. If it is the alternator, then I'm definitely glad my cruise went out before it REALLY died! Results to come. Thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2006, 05:32 PM   #10
delturcious

1995 SC2

According to Autozone and their little black box, my alternator and battery are a-ok. I tested out the cruise on the way there, and it held at 40mph. I didn't have time to get out on the interstate to try a faster speed, but I definitely will tomorrow evening. Maybe it holds at lower speeds but not at full highway speeds? Anything else it may be?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2006, 05:46 PM   #11
davemac2
davemac2 is on a distinguished road

I'll take a wild guess and say maybe a vacuum leak because of a bad hose? Don't know what type of CC is on the Saturn though. Does your brake pedal feel normal?

davemc

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davemac2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davemac2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davemac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:58 AM   #12
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

The CC on a Saturn is nothing fancy. It's controlled by the PCM. There's a module under the dash that connects to the top part of the gas pedal. No vacumn lines or anything. If it's still not working, at this point, if this were my car, I'd be calling wrecking yards for a CC module. If it is working, I'd guess we ran the gremlin out of there.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:27 AM   #13
Gbody403
Gbody403 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

Madpogue described the issue I had with my SC2. Sometimes the cruise would work fine. Other times it would accelerate, then rapidly disengage after the vehicle speed would reach about 8 mph above the cruise set point. This cycle would repeat itself and was very irritating. I was ready to replace the CC module but decided to pull the electrical connector and clean the contacts. This solved my problem. It has worked great since the cleaning.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gbody403's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gbody403 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gbody403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 03:26 PM   #14
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

i have the same problem with my car... and its beeh happening even after replacing the alternator with a high-output one. It mostly happens on longer trips (30 mins or more)

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andy_95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 02:04 PM   #15
delturcious

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnOwl
I'd guess we ran the gremlin out of there.
That must've been what happened, because it works now Thanks for the help... if this happens again though a new CC module is going in.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2009, 12:15 PM   #16
mjoekingz28
mjoekingz28 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbody403 View Post
Madpogue described the issue I had with my SC2. Sometimes the cruise would work fine. Other times it would accelerate, then rapidly disengage after the vehicle speed would reach about 8 mph above the cruise set point. This cycle would repeat itself and was very irritating. I was ready to replace the CC module but decided to pull the electrical connector and clean the contacts. This solved my problem. It has worked great since the cleaning.
What contacts are you talking about? Ive been through 3 pages of 8 so far in a 'cruise control' search and your example is the first Ive seen of exactly what happens to my sc2 1998 5spd.

I'll be crusing along at 70mph and look down and im going 80mph then it all a sudden disengages. what to do?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mjoekingz28's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mjoekingz28 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mjoekingz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 04:18 PM   #17
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

I know I just posted this in another thread, but I'd set my cruse to say, 60 or 65. I would then go up a hill (cut in the hill on southbound I-75, for example), it would lag by ~5mph (I'd be doing ~55mph but my cruise is set at 60), and then my RPM spikes up to 4000-4500 and holds it there until I get out of the grade (but I don't go any faster than what I've set my cruise to.) Once I'm out of the grade, I'm doing 60mph while staying within normal RPM range.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:10 PM   #18
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
I know I just posted this in another thread, but I'd set my cruse to say, 60 or 65. I would then go up a hill (cut in the hill on southbound I-75, for example), it would lag by ~5mph (I'd be doing ~55mph but my cruise is set at 60), and then my RPM spikes up to 4000-4500 and holds it there until I get out of the grade (but I don't go any faster than what I've set my cruise to.) Once I'm out of the grade, I'm doing 60mph while staying within normal RPM range.
First thing to do is clean the connector to the module on the column. Then verify the engine/transmission clutch is not slipping. If it is not a manual and if it is an automatic it sounds like its downshifting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #19
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
First thing to do is clean the connector to the module on the column.
Alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Then verify the engine/transmission clutch is not slipping. If it is not a manual and if it is an automatic it sounds like its downshifting.
I have an automatic, so it's probably downshifting then... that explains things.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:06 PM   #20
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

try setting the cruise at 65 and see if it downshifts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote