SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
1993 is on a distinguished road

Default noisy , rattling inside cabin driving me nuts..

Its a 1992 sc. I love the car but everything inside it rattles from the vibration of the engine. I replaced the top engine mount. Still does it, so i pulled the lower dogbone and it was shot, so i replaced it but it didnt help any at all, wich is weird because the original was shot. I cant figure it out. My wifes 1993 sl-1 is quiet as a mouse inside the cabin, cant really feel the engine running where my sc just rattles the interior and drives me crazy.. any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1993's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1993 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #2
l0phat
l0phat is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Re: noisy , rattling inside cabin driving me nuts..

Heat Shield? Broken connector on dash pad? Trans-axel motor mount?

99 SL2 151K 5 Spd Stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to l0phat's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help l0phat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
l0phat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 View Post
.. any ideas?
Its a S-Series Saturn.

S - Sorry
A - About
T - That
U - Unbearable
R - Rattling
N - Noise

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:55 PM   #4
dgreen97
dgreen97 is on a distinguished road

l0phat which heat shield and broken connector are you talking about?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dgreen97's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dgreen97 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dgreen97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 02:12 PM   #5
l0phat

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgreen97 View Post
l0phat which heat shield and broken connector are you talking about?
This was just something I was clued to by a richpin video.. He shows how to fix a broken dash pad retainer. He said that when it cold after the dash being warm older or aging dash pad retainers can crack and brake leading to a rattle, at or around the glove box. The pad is the top of the dash. The heat shield would be what's above the exhaust. It's a curved metal plate.

99 SL2 151K 5 Spd Stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help l0phat reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-28-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
l0phat

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
Its a S-Series Saturn.

S - Sorry
A - About
T - That
U - Unbearable
R - Rattling
N - Noise
That's friggin' fun eee. Yup your a Saturn Owner.. (owed ya that one Lo!)

99 SL2 151K 5 Spd Stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #7
Zero_DgZ
Advanced Member
Zero_DgZ will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2
2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by l0phat View Post
This was just something I was clued to by a richpin video.. He shows how to fix a broken dash pad retainer. He said that when it cold after the dash being warm older or aging dash pad retainers can crack and brake leading to a rattle, at or around the glove box. The pad is the top of the dash. The heat shield would be what's above the exhaust. It's a curved metal plate.
Mine does this. You can actually see the top of the dash pad flapping around when I go over bumps, up by the passenger side defroster vent. It hits the windshield and rattles, despite moving about one 16th of an inch, if that. My short term solution -- because it's cold and I don't feel like taking my dash apart -- Involved sticking a strand of that peel-and-seal silicone caulking reel in the gap to keep it from flapping about.

Lots of other stuff in my car rattles as well, mostly related to the rear bumper which needs replaced. As soon as I installed my sub (see signature) it quickly found all of the loose fasteners and rattles in my interior for me, most of which I've chased down by now...

'12 Subaru Impreza manual, hatchback, silver.
'99 Chevy Silverado 1500, automatic, with pixel camo. For the [i]discerning[/i] redneck gentleman.
Used to have a '02 SL2 automatic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Zero_DgZ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Zero_DgZ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Zero_DgZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 03:26 PM   #8
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura aboutTXSaturn02 has a spectacular aura about

2002 SL2

You can also check for loose screws. Had a bad rattle a couple of years ago. Found this site and was already to replace the top motor mount. Then, by chance, a passenger in the car told me the rattle was coming from the passenger visor. THE SCREW WAS LOOSE. Tightened it right up and the rattle was gone. The rattle is back now, but the vibration is still minimal - I have the top motor mount handy for when I've had enough.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
As of 09/30/17: 223,751 Miles - SOLD
New owner report of 07/25/18: 229,023 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
As of 07/25/18: 51,495 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #9
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

On first get interiors, 1991-1994, where the top dash panel screws to the dash frame is a common place for either the dash to crack or the speed clip on the dash frame to break.

Pop off the rectangular screw cover and see if the dash panel moves, but the screw stays in place (broken dash panel). Or if the dash cover and screw move as one (broken speed clip mounting point).

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 Saturn SC2
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote