SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
imthegr8_1
imthegr8_1 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default head gasket, or condensation?

went to check my oil yesterday, and there was milk under my oil fill cap. I instantly thought it was a head gasket. It may still be, but im hoping not. The oil was low(barely on the stick) and i no longer am running my PCV valve as i have replaced it with a breather so the crankcase wouldn't build up pressure and blow out my valve cover gasket again(bad rings i assume). The last few morning have been under 30* and i have not had this car in the winter before now. No white exhaust smoke(except for first start in the morning, in the cold), no oil in my AF, dipstick came out clean as the milkshake was just under my cap....any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to imthegr8_1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help imthegr8_1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
imthegr8_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2009, 10:45 AM   #2
hoseppi
Advanced Member
hoseppi will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2008 Astra XE
Default Re: head gasket, or condensation?

It's probably just condensation. It will dissappear by itself if you take it on a longer ride. Short trips won't burn it off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoseppi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoseppi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoseppi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #3
acman
acman has a spectacular aura aboutacman has a spectacular aura aboutacman has a spectacular aura about

1999 SC1

Before the introduction of PCV systems in the early 1960s, road draft systems were used. The road draft system was simply a vent tube that routed engine blow-by gases from the engine to a tube that ran from the engine to the back of the car, like an engine exhaust pipe.

The motivation for equipping engines with PCV systems was to prevent blow-by gases, primarily hydrocarbons (unburned fuel) from entering the atmosphere. It was the first automotive emissions control device.

PCV systems are simple systems that really help keep the oil clean by removing, among other things, water vapor.

The crankcase "pressure" you write about is caused by cylinder ring leakage, blow-by, and has nothing to do with the PCV system. The condensation you observed in your engine is due to the disconnected PCV system.

Reinstall the PCV system and drive the car until oil consumption becomes too severe to deal with, and then rebuild or replace the engine.

1997 SL2, 5 speed
1999 SL1, Automatic

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
acman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #4
imthegr8_1

1997 SC2

with the PCV installed, the motor would hiss after i turned it off unless i took the cap off..and it would shoot the cap into my hand...im already looking for another motor to rebuild so i can drop it in one weekend...thatnks for the info though...much appreciated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help imthegr8_1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-29-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
76oldsguy
76oldsguy is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthegr8_1 View Post
with the PCV installed, the motor would hiss after i turned it off unless i took the cap off..and it would shoot the cap into my hand...im already looking for another motor to rebuild so i can drop it in one weekend...thatnks for the info though...much appreciated
How long does it run before the 'hiss' starts after shut down? If it is building that much pressure it is killing your engine quicker. Have you done the 'MMO' or 'seafoam' soak yet? I would reinstall the pvc valve. Run a compression test and let us know. It is possable it could be valve guids as you stated it has some smoke on start-up but it is up in the air till a compression test is done.

98 sl2 DOHC Auto 147,000 miles.
76 Olds 442 Auto78,000 miles.
95 sw2 DOHC Auto 200,000 miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 76oldsguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 76oldsguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
76oldsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #6
imthegr8_1

1997 SC2

it'll hiss and build some pretty good pressure after 10 seconds of idling...lol

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2009, 04:25 PM   #7
imthegr8_1

1997 SC2

forgot to mention...the shortest trip this car makes in a day is 20 miles...i live in BFE...got the car on the road in late Sept. and have over 6k miles on it already...will be rolling over 200k shortly

REWARD EXCELLENCE!