SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2009, 08:58 AM   #1
BasilCarey
BasilCarey is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
Default Rough starts on Cool/Damp days

The 2002 SC2 has a problem starting on cool/damp mornings. Feels like it is tring to flood at first. After feathering the gas peddle a little and getting it to idel out, it has no more problem. The rest of the day all starts are normal. I have made a couple of other post about this car. The code 172 has not come back, but I still think the car has a lack of power issue. Could a weak coil pack be a cause of any of the problems I am seeing with this car? Thank, Basil

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BasilCarey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BasilCarey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BasilCarey is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Rough starts on Cool/Damp days

What parts were replaced and what specifically fixed the P0172 issue?

With the ignition coil, it can be one or both and/or the ignition module but that's just guessing. Were they ever cleaned (removing for a thorough wirebrushing/Scotch brite)?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:40 AM   #3
BasilCarey

2002 SC2

As unbelievable as it may sound. I replaced the PCV valve, and my rich fuel code has not returned. The list is long so here goes:

pre cat replaced
rest of the exhaust system checked, no restrictions
timing checked and verified good
fuel rail and injectors removed and checked (twice)
new 02 sensors (both)
all other sensors check with scanners (three different shops) and one friend
new air filter
new plugs and wires (NGK plugs/wires-best the parts store had)

I dont believe the coil pack have ever been removed. Thanks, Basil

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help BasilCarey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-26-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
BasilCarey

2002 SC2

I removed and cleaned the module and coil packs. The coils did have rust the the outer exposed coils. I clean all the contact points. But still having a ruff start at mornings. I have been reading lots of post about the ECTS. Could that be causing this issue? All other starts doing the day are with out any issues. The car starts off about 1200 rpm and then after a few minutes drops to about 800-900. I removed teh ECTS, it has a brass tip, and looks like the wire connection has been replaced at some point. The wires have been sodered and look good. Thanks, Basil

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You're describing a perfectly operating ects.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
BasilCarey

2002 SC2

Ok...just tring to rule out every thing I can think of. Any other ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
BasilCarey

2002 SC2

I pulled the plugs, before starting the car, first thing this morning. All other times I have pulled the plugs was after the car had be running thought out the day. Normally all white and looked good. The plugs were black with carbon all 4. I clean and reinstall the plugs, but still have the same stalling with I pressed the gas. After a few seconds I could give it gas with no problems. The car is still sputting while driving. And the code 172 comes up in about 5 days after I reset it by disconnecting the (-) battery cable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-27-2009, 07:15 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The randomness of what seems to be an excessively rich running start may still be coolant sensor/connector related. Look closely at the sensor pins and connector to be sure no corrosion exists. Any possible momentary high resistance in this circuit can create an immediate rich mixture condition beyond normal circumstances. One member has mentioned using baking soda in paste form(?) applied to the coolant sensor pins and worked into the connector to scrub clean the connections. Whether this works is debatable. There may be another sensor affecting fuel/air mixtures, the intake air temperature sensor.

Checking the iats may help as it works the same way but measuring the air temperature as another input to the pcm.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-29-2009, 11:21 AM   #9
BasilCarey

2002 SC2

I have removed the ECTS and inspected both the plug and sensor. The plug has been replaced. The wires have been sodered and look to be in good condition. There are butt splices also in the connection. But seem to be tight also. Can the out put be check with a digital multi meter?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!