SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2005, 03:54 PM   #1
dday
dday is on a distinguished road

Default Vehicle speed sensor.

I am trying to get my cruise to work in my 96 sl and am having problems. I have tried several pcm's and I am getting a service wrench light when I start to drive and am thinking that is why the cruise won't work. I am not getting it on one of the pcm's but all of the other ones. Will the speed sensor trip the service wrench light or will it trip the service engine light?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dday's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dday reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-18-2005, 01:03 AM   #2
dday

Default Re: Vehicle speed sensor.

No Body has any ideas?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dday's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dday reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
saturnhacker
saturnhacker is on a distinguished road

swapping pcms can cause problems because of configuration differences, the pcm has one set of options programmed and the car has something else.. why dont you put the original pcm back in the car and take it to the dealer so they can put the tech2 scanner to it? might save a lot of hair pulling on your part. if the pcm needs to be programmed for cruise, and it probably does, they can do that too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnhacker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnhacker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2005, 10:08 AM   #4
dday

The Orginal PCM does not get the service light. I swapped pcms from a donor car that is identical to mine (ENGINE YEAR ETC) except cruise. The Dealer wants $100.00 to program my pcm to add the cruise programming.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dday's Reputation
Old 03-18-2005, 10:14 AM   #5
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

So you originally had cruise control? Or did you put it in there? If you had it originally, I don't think the problem is your PCM, probably not your VSS either.
Ever think that maybe your cruise control module is bad? It is under the steering column and connects to the acclerator cable. Check if the connector cable is loose. Or take it to the dealer and have them test it. I don't really know how to test it to see if it's functioning. My cruise control doesn't work and I believe the culprit is the module.

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2005, 10:17 AM   #6
dday

It DID NOT have cruise and I added it. I have tried 4 differn't modules on the car. All the connectors seem fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dday's Reputation
Old 03-18-2005, 10:18 AM   #7
dday

The reason I was wondering about the speed sensor is that the light will not come on untill I hit about 3mph.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dday's Reputation
Old 03-18-2005, 10:30 AM   #8
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

there is a way to test it...see what the resistance is on the connector, I can't remember the values, I'd have to look in the FSM or haynes manual.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2005, 11:18 AM   #9
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dday
No Body has any ideas?
Quote:
The Orginal PCM does not get the service light. I swapped pcms from a donor car that is identical to mine (ENGINE YEAR ETC) except cruise. The Dealer wants $100.00 to program my pcm to add the cruise programming.
Sounds like you have your answer already.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2005, 11:48 AM   #10
sierrap615
Master Member
sierrap615 is on a distinguished road

the PCM will need to be programmed for your options, even the slightest thing like what state the car was orignally sold in can affect the parameters, thats why you can't expect just any PCM to work. but sometimes you do get lucky, sorry to say you didn't.

don't assume your VSS is bad, if it was bad, you would have major driviblty problems

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sierrap615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sierrap615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2005, 01:31 PM   #11
Kevin94SL
Kevin94SL is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

Is the vehicle stick or auto.

If the vehicle is stick, make sure the sensor on the clutch is making contact. On our '95SL1 that we had (back in the day), the clutch wouldn't make contact unless you pushed it up with your foot (Sensor was out a little bit). This could cause your cruise to not work.

Just from personal experience...

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kevin94SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin94SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-18-2005, 01:49 PM   #12
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

you know that just might be the problem with mine...hmmm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-18-2005, 03:04 PM   #13
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

I use a brick for cruise...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2005, 12:22 AM   #14
dday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin94SL
Is the vehicle stick or auto.

If the vehicle is stick, make sure the sensor on the clutch is making contact. On our '95SL1 that we had (back in the day), the clutch wouldn't make contact unless you pushed it up with your foot (Sensor was out a little bit). This could cause your cruise to not work.

Just from personal experience...
96's have no clutch switch. The computer senses the engine rpm's

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dday's Reputation
Old 03-19-2005, 10:23 AM   #15
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
96's have no clutch switch.
That is absolutely false.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-19-2005, 10:27 AM   #16
dday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbak
That is absolutely false.
They have the starter kill switch and that is all. If you can show me where else there is a switch feel free to but all the ones I looked at don't have them and the repair manuals for 96's don't have any information about a clutch switch for the cruise

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dday's Reputation
Old 03-19-2005, 10:36 AM   #17
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
They have the starter kill switch and that is all. If you can show me where else there is a switch feel free to but all the ones I looked at don't have them and the repair manuals for 96's don't have any information about a clutch switch for the cruise
The 96 model has a Clutch Start Switch mounted behind the clutch pedal. You can feel and hear it engage when you depress the clutch pedal, and the switch is covered in the Electrical Service Manual book in the 3-volume binders that make up the 1996 FSM.

BTW, I never said it was tied into the cruise control. Just trying to clarify that the 96 model DOES have a clutch switch.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-19-2005, 10:38 AM   #18
dday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbak
The 96 model has a Clutch Start Switch mounted behind the clutch pedal. You can feel and hear it engage when you depress the clutch pedal, and the switch is covered in the Electrical Service Manual book in the 3-volume binders that make up the 1996 FSM.
Like I said in the other posts I know about the clutch start switch (OR THE STARTER KILL SWITCH) but it has nothing to do with the cruise when the clutch it out and you are driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dday's Reputation
Old 03-19-2005, 10:39 AM   #19
dday

Sorry I didnt see the I never said it tied into the cruise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dday's Reputation
Old 03-19-2005, 10:41 AM   #20
Razorbak
Master Member

1996 SL2

Quote:
Like I said in the other posts I know about the clutch start switch (OR THE STARTER KILL SWITCH) but it has nothing to do with the cruise when the clutch it out and you are driving.
You also know that the PCM needs to be reprogrammed. Have you tried that yet?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread