SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2005, 08:01 PM   #1
Jammer
Advanced Member
Jammer is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan
Default Roadtrip planning: what to bring (tools and parts)

I am planing a X-Country trip from NY to CA and after reading a few break down stories on roadtripamerica.com I got to thinking what I should bring for parts just in case I get stuck in the middle of Kansas or something.

02 SC2 w/ 72000 miles and a tune-up

Thanks

edit: forgot to mention the trip will be just about 16 days so it will be a rough trip for the car.

Last edited by Jammer; 07-04-2005 at 08:07 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jammer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2005, 09:12 PM   #2
davidsky
Master Member
davidsky will become famous soon enoughdavidsky will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Roadtrip planning: what to bring (tools and parts)

A telephone would be your best bet first.
Flashlight, pliers, some strong tape, blanket, extra clothes, screwdrivers, jumper cables.
Food and water, you'll break down before the car will.

Member of the Crank Window Club

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to davidsky's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help davidsky reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
davidsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 09:42 PM   #3
Jammer
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Mmmmm Jumper cables, I haden't even thought of that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jammer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-04-2005, 10:16 PM   #4
GmG
Advanced Member
GmG is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
1992 SC

I like my AAA+ membership.

In addition to the usual fluids, in the trunk I keep some spare plugs and wires, a real tool set (breaker bar makes changing tires a lot easier), mini floor jack, cig lighter plug-in air pump, and a blanket. I used to keep a tire plug kit, but I haven't lately.

Something to read/do wouldn't be a bad idea in case you break down, but since you're on a long trip, I imagine you'll have books or whatever.

George
92 SCm 138k
98 SC2m 131k

"You shouldn't leave things in the fridge. That is the lesson."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GmG's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GmG reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GmG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 10:24 PM   #5
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Duct tape & wD-40. If it moves & not suppose to, tape it. If it's suppose to move & doesn't, WD-40.
Really, paper & pen/pencil, for trip notes (phone numbers if you get lucky) & a camera, so you can prove it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 10:42 PM   #6
lostwages_ls2
lostwages_ls2 is on a distinguished road

Make sure belt and hoses are in good shape, those are the things that tend to break on long trips. Bring a spare belt with you. Check the air in the spare.

Cooling system in good shape? I70 takes you thru the Rockies, I 40 thru the middle of the Mojave Desert.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lostwages_ls2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lostwages_ls2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lostwages_ls2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 11:28 PM   #7
Arnel
Arnel is on a distinguished road

Location: Pittsburgh, PA - Home of the World Champion Steelers & Penguins!

2001 SC2

72k miles? Still a new car! Drove my '94 SL2 (with 187,000 miles) to Spring Hill and back last week.

Pack these in a milk crate. A can of Fix-A-Flat. Even with AAA, no lines, no waiting. A bottle or two of bugwash for the windshield - t'is the season for suicidal bugs splatting themselves on your windshield. Replace your wiper blades. Pack some quarts of 5w30. Top off your A/C refrigerant. Give the front of your car a couple extra coats of wax - it'll make scrubbing bugs off the front much easier. Check your tires' inflation - an underinflated tire can cost you some highway mileage. Pack a roll of paper towels and some Windex for your other windows & mirrors. Get an extra key cut and keep it in your wallet! Just in case.

For you: drink a lot of stuff like Propel water and ween yourself off caffeinated drinks. You'll feel better and more energetic. Bring a camera, digital preferably so you can instantly show us where you've been. Burn a pile of CDs so you have music to listen to when the local selection isn't up to par.

93m SL1 "SLone" 145,000 mi. - RIP 10/08
94m SL2 "Ringo" 209,425 - ret. 7/31/07, RIP 10/08
01m SC2 "Lello" 129,000
07a GL VUE "Orbit" 48,900 - RIP 6/19/10
10a Ford Escape Hybrid - 8600 mi.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Arnel's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Arnel reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Arnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2005, 07:39 PM   #8
Jammer
Advanced Member

2002 SC2
2003 ION-3 Sedan

Great ideas, I am also wondering if I should change out the fule filter, the recomended is at 100,000 miles and I have a bit to go but I am just wondering. Not that it would fail but cost in fuel or something. And yes, there will be a few rolls of duct tape. The last time I went on a trip and forgot it I had to use band-aids to hotwire the fan into the headlights to keep from overheating. and here will be a fresh coat of Collinite http://www.collinite.com/auto.htm insulator wax for the bugs.

Edit: The caffine thing will be interesting since I work at Starbucks the place with no holdback on caffine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-05-2005, 11:14 PM   #9
spork
spork is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

If you have the room, a real hydraulic jack. A large crescent wrench, socket set, Visegrips, Volt/ohm meter, crimpers, spare wire, electrical tape. A spare accessory belt doesn't cost hardly anything and is a good thing to throw in. Also, leather work gloves and a small tarp to keep you off the dirt.

I had the experiance of driving an old '78 motorhome across the United States. Pretty much everything I mentioned was a good thing to have during various problems.

"Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 10:49 AM   #10
oneharbour78
oneharbour78 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

NY to CA? Are you taking 80? That is the route I took, and there are some pretty desolate parts....as in one stretch of western Utah where it is 121 miles between exits.

If anything above what has been recommended, I would suggest taking like 4-6 20 ounce water bottles. They are useful if you need them for coolant, or if your car breaks down and you have to walk a distance, you have drinking water, but don't have to carry a gallon jug or whatever.

Have fun!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to oneharbour78's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help oneharbour78 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
oneharbour78 is offline   Reply With Quote