SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-05-2010, 03:44 PM   #1
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Today it is one year old

car has 7900 on it, i bought it with 465 on it. In the dealership three of four times for free synthetic oil changes, once to pick up a wheel center cap, and once to get the roof rails replaced. Four more free synthetic oil changes to go!!

That is all.

My $37k oldsmobile aurora was in the shop a lot more in the first year, second year, etc. and not repaired correctly each time until she who must be obeyed made said she didnt have confidence in the car any more.

GM invented Saturn, then turned their back and ignored everything they learned. Pretty sad for GM, but so far I am pretty glad I bought a saturn.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #2
NJastra
NJastra is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Today it is one year old

Congrats. My one year passed earlier this year. My roof rails are slightly faded, or at least appear to be. I wonder if they'd get replaced if I mention it to the dealer. Is there a TSB on them?

Good luck throughout the ownership.

-Jon-

3 dr XR, Twilight Blue, 5 speed manual, 18" 5-star rims, Leather trim package, Heated seats, VXMMI (Advanced Audio)

2017 Regal GS, 20", fully loaded

1987 Z28 - modded

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NJastra's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NJastra reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NJastra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 09:38 PM   #3
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

4 synt oil changes in less than $8000 miles? Do you use that oil to make french fries every day?....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 11:28 PM   #4
Tom S2
Advanced Member
Tom S2 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by plato View Post
4 synt oil changes in less than $8000 miles? Do you use that oil to make french fries every day?....
i asked them to keep their oil changes and give me $100 off the price of the car. They said no. I then said since the car had 465 miles on it they should knock $200 off the agreed price since i drove 60 miles based on the statement by the salesman that it had 18 miles on it. They said no.

So then I said since it has 465 miles on it they oweme something and I dont use dino oil, so if they want the deal i want synthetic. They said yes. A deal is a deal, so I get my oil changed every three months for the first two years.

Pretty stupid if you ask me.

The doors on my rails cracked. I wouldnt worry about the spots. turns out they are plastic. i thought they were painted aluminum. they are plastic, so dont rub too hard to clean them.

Astra XR-3-5 HP - Hamster Powered!
Dealer added options, & Infinity speakers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom S2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom S2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom S2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 01:18 AM   #5
Lunchbox1984
Lunchbox1984 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Today it is one year old

yea, my rails already faded and the two doors on the driver side are busted. im going to get mine in for service here soon. hopefully they will change them as i paid for the extra 100,000 mile warranty. I got mine January 2008, right when they were brought in off the boat. It has 36,000 miles on it and 12,000 on the motor. Long story short on the motor, it got hydrolocked about a year ago, from a hard rain and insurance replaced it under the Act of God policy, so yea, im cool with it, only had to pay the 500 bucks out of my pocket to get the new one in.

mine gets Premium Fuel and Mobile One Full synthec oil every 3k to 5k miles. im driving the wheels off this car.

congrats on the 1yr birthday of your car OP.

Bertha [2008 F250 S.D.] 4dr|6.4ltr Diesel 350HP|4x2|6ft bed.
RED [2008 Sat. Astra XR] 2dr|1.8ltr Ecotec 140hp (will be missed)
Oggly [1984 Isuzu Trooper II] 2dr|2.0Ltr G200 89HP|White|4sp manual

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Lunchbox1984's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Lunchbox1984 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Lunchbox1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 08:31 AM   #6
ReGZ_93
ReGZ_93 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE

My car turns 2 later this month. It just turned 20,000 miles. I love this car. I have only been to the shop 4 times in two years. Only problem I have had so far was the standard filler neck problem. The other trips were for oil changes and inspection.

This car has been so reliable and fun to drive, I really have to commend GM and Saturn (Opel too) for building such a great piece of machinery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ReGZ_93's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ReGZ_93 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ReGZ_93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 10:00 AM   #7
marx404
Master Member
marx404 will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Happy B-day!

Mine is 2.5 yrs old. Other than the basic known problems discussed here, been very reliable and still just as fun to drive as day one.

marx404
Saturn lives on.

1994 SL2
2002 SC2
2007 ION.3
2008 Astra XE
2004 L300.1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marx404's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marx404 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marx404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 07:52 AM   #8
tackepj
tackepj will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XE

Had mine for a year at the end of March, put 12,000 miles on it in that time. No problems other than the fuel filler neck problem and the seemingly never-ending saga of my windshield(s) replacement / Rainsense issues, but those were finally solved. Averaging 32 mpg and thoroughly enjoying the car. Hope to spend some time this year dealing with the mediocre radio, though...

Former: 2005 L300, 2007 VUE Green Line
Current: 2008 Astra XE

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tackepj's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tackepj reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tackepj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:41 AM   #9
72gssaturn
Advanced Member
72gssaturn will become famous soon enough72gssaturn will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

in a couple of weeks, my car will be 2 years old. it has not been back for service. i perform my own oil & filter changes and inspections. so far, so good.
i have but two beefs- i hate the auto door lock and i wish the seat base/botton (driver) was more comfortable.

Gerry
72 Buick GS red
2008 Astra XR black 3dr
99 SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 72gssaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 72gssaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
72gssaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #10
gsrboi80
gsrboi80 is on a distinguished road

My car will be 2 in Nov. 30k on her now. Had it to the dealer once for warranty work as the pass side hub was replaced because the sensor went bad triggering the ABS, TC, and CEL.

It has been fine ever since. The car pretty much sits as it's summer and I find myself driving the EVO everywhere.

03 TB EVO VIII (PT61mm BB) 450awhp Pump Gas (Weekend Warrior)
08 Blue Saturn Astra, 18's, and Leather (Daily Grind)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gsrboi80's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gsrboi80 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gsrboi80 is offline   Reply With Quote