SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2015, 08:15 PM   #4321
whanna1
whanna1 is on a distinguished road

1998 SC2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

I wouldn't exactly call this play, but I just finished replacing the timing chain in my 1998 Saturn SC2. 184000 miles on the odometer.

I had been having a nasty vibration and replaced the engine mounts, common failures, but the vibration remained. I replaced the serpentine belt because it was worn out - still no improvement. After a lot of research, I decided to replace the harmonic balancer. Since the car was at almost 200000 miles, I figured I should replace the timing chain. After the local Chevy dealer estimated $1100, not including the harmonic balancer, I thought I should do it myself. Never having done this before, I was quite intimidated.

I also planned to replace the spark plugs and the PCV valve.

So I started the job at 9:50 AM on Monday and by 12:45 I finally had the crankshaft bolt off. Whew! That was one tight bolt. Tired and discouraged, I took the rest of the day off. I started at 6:15 AM on Tuesday and by 6:15 PM I had all the timing parts replaced. Timing chain, sprockets (DOHC), chain guides, and chain tensioner. That timing chain cover was a real bear to get off. It took forever. The next day, Wednesday, I started at 8:35 AM. By 6:45 PM I finally had the timing cover re-installed. Next time, I'll remove the water pump pulley before I remove the serpentine belt. Without the belt, the pulley moves freely making it impossible to remove. I also had to remove the top motor mount bracket. I'll do this early in the job next time, too. I took yesterday (Thursday) off because it was raining. I have to work on my car outside in the driveway. Today, Friday, I started at 9:00 AM. I had forgotten to lubricate the timing parts before I put the timing cover and the camshaft cover on Wednesday. As a result, I had to remove the camshaft cover and trash the new gasket, $32 wasted. After removing the camshaft cover, I pumped motor oil onto the top of the timing chain and the sprockets, and down into guide and sprocket area. Hoping I got oil to where it needed to be, I installed a new camshaft cover gasket and re-installed the cover. I primed the oil pump by squirting oil into the hole next to the threaded pipe the filter screws on to after filling the crankcase. I installed the new filter (half filled with new oil), removed a PCM fuse, and turned the ignition switch until the oil pressure light went off. Five minutes later, I hit the ignition again. The light went off quickly the second time. Then, I re-installed the PCM fuse, new spark plugs, and the new PCV. And attempted to start the car. It really struggled to start but it finally did. After Idling for half an hour or so, I noticed most of the vibration was gone, and I couldn't see any oil leaks.

Hat tip to OldNuc for the pump priming procedure.

And that is what I did on my vacation.

I can't wait to get back to work so I can rest.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to whanna1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help whanna1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
whanna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2015, 11:08 PM   #4322
MrAnon
MrAnon is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2

Today I sucked out the power steering fluid thru the return line with a hand vacuum pump; was dismayed that it was brown since it was fresh and the system flushed two weeks ago.

Removed the defective reman EVO p/s pump to install a new AC/Delco non-EVO pump. Installed a vacuum "L" to replace the driver's washer fluid "L" I broke while trying to remove the fluid hose to clear a blockage.

Installed new butt cap plug on the gauge ECTS since the original was so butchered that the pins on the sensor weren't getting into the plug receptacle.

Installed new MAF plug to replace the one I damaged removing one of the defective p/s pumps.

Put the tie rods ends, tie rods and boots in the back seat preparatory to taking them to the shop for installation - more trouble than I want to deal with.

Yesterday I replaced the failed windshield washer fluid pump and the coolant reservoir which had been contaminated by an idiot shop monkey to try and sell me a flush.

Installed new thermostat as well as both new ECTS. Cleaned K&N box filter. Installed more plug wire spacers to get better wire separation.

Filled gap in sunroof gasket with bathroom silicone caulk to stop the lead that destroyed my headliner.

Little things, but important little things...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MrAnon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MrAnon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MrAnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:32 PM   #4323
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2
1998 SC2

^ Geez!!

On the 1998 SC2:

- I lubed the Caliper Pins with Sil-Glide & sanded off the mating surfaces to the new Centric rotors to the wheel as I had some looseness on the front pass. side. All better now!

- I applied Meguiar's Rubber & Vinyl Protectant to all the rubber seals on the door & trunk.

'00 SL2. "Creampuff" 89 YO lady car. 20 oil changes 1st 33k miles. Now 85k.

'98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot". 5-Speed. $1600

'01 SL2 BIL's 10th Anniversary Edition

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 04:26 PM   #4324
robb_sc2
robb_sc2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAnon View Post
Put the tie rods ends, tie rods and boots in the back seat preparatory to taking them to the shop for installation - more trouble than I want to deal with.
Little things, but important little things...
Those tie rods are not that hard to do, a couple good videos on youtube (richpin and jungleking) but you will need either the tie rod wrench tool, or some crow-foot wrenches. I used crow-foots, was just fine. I did inner, outer, and LCA all at once.
------

On my own car, I finally got rear sway bar links replaced, nothing too stripped an angle grinder can't fix! A lot less springy noises in the rear, now only a little bit on the front in some of the deeper holes around here

Gold 1999 SC2 ~360k Kms

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robb_sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robb_sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robb_sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:37 PM   #4325
whanna1

1998 SC2

So the vibration has returned. Probably was never gone in the first place - after all, I think my car drives better after I wash it.
I mentioned I had replaced the serpentine belt recently. I used a 780 belt and installed a new tensioner from Auto Zone. Frome what I have learned in this forum, I need a 778 belt with the Auto Zone tensioner. Is that correct? I still have the original tensioner - I'm thinking about re-installing that. Is this a good idea?

1998 SC2 - Bought it new.
1998 SL2 - Bought it new, traded it in on a 2008 Altima 2.5S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help whanna1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2015, 02:52 PM   #4326
whanna1

1998 SC2

I forgot to mention there is a huge improvement in throttle response and overall power. I suspect this is mostly due to the new spark plugs (NGK BKR5ESA-11 #). I can't wait to see the fuel mileage.

1998 SC2 - Bought it new.
1998 SL2 - Bought it new, traded it in on a 2008 Altima 2.5S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-24-2015, 04:16 PM   #4327
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is on a distinguished road

1996 SW2

Slow Joe Crow

“The local shop quoted crazy $$ ...I think they want us to stop coming”

I have run into the same situation. Thus, a particular “Saturn Authorized Service Center”. is no longer on my “Christmas list”, so to speak.

700+SL2,

“Installed a new top engine mount and trans mount which was completely shot. What a difference!”

That's next on my “to do “ list. I don't know that mine are completely shot but it's been a lot of miles and a long time since they were last changed out. Getting them done Tuesday morning (hopefully, with the same positive results you experienced).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mister_Cee's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mister_Cee reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 09:14 PM   #4328
satmark
satmark has a spectacular aura aboutsatmark has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL

I replaced my front brake pads and rotors today. This was my first time for this type of repair. It was 71K miles since my last pads and rotors. I used Wearever rotors and Wearever Silver Organic pads from Advance Auto.

I followed St. Richpin's video and all went well except that one of the boots tore as I was removing the caliper pin. The rubber had seized up around the pin. The pin was quite corroded as well. Back to Advance Auto went I for new boots and pins. As long as I was going I also purchased new glides as well. I had the usual problems others have recorded getting the long boot into the caliper mount bracket. In my case I cleaned the rust out with a small round file and then sprayed the hole with brake cleaner immediately before inserting the boot and pushing it down with a chopstick. The guy from South Main Auto on Youtube uses brake cleaner to ease insertion on rubber hangers. It does make the rubber very slippery for a short time before it dries off. It worked for me. I left the other long boot alone and plan to inspect if periodically.

The new brakes feel great and the pulsing I was experiencing is gone. Thank you forum! (again)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to satmark's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help satmark reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
satmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 10:00 PM   #4329
J N Winkler
Advanced Member
J N Winkler has a spectacular aura aboutJ N Winkler has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2

Today I cleaned, washed, polished, and waxed my 1994 SL2.

When I discovered brushless DIY car washes with spot-free rinse twenty years ago, I thought I was done with polishing and waxing for life. Two factors have since forced me to reconsider. First, it takes much more effort to clean my car than it does the other two cars in the family that were professionally detailed one and a half years ago, so I have concluded that it is much easier to wash bugs, tar, tree sap, dirt, oil, etc. off paint that has been recently waxed. Second, on my last car I had no clearcoat peeling on the original paint, but I did have peeling on two panels that had to be repainted following an accident. For years I have assumed that the body shop used inferior paint, but it has also occurred to me that since those panels were never waxed after they were repainted, they had much less residual UV protection than the panels that still had the original factory paint.

My 1994 SL2 was garage-kept at home for 15 years, but the previous owner used it as a commuting car and lost his ability to park it under cover when his employer demolished its parking garage. Since it fell into my hands six years ago, it has been parked outdoors 24/7. The paint still has full gloss but this is almost certainly because the car is white, which has high albedo and does not heat up much. The last time it was polished and waxed was in the late nineties or early noughties.

Previously I had only ever used NuFinish, which is a one-step combined polishing and waxing product, because in the days before Web forums were available for exchanging highly detailed information on car upkeep, the one-step products seemed the most accessible. However, I never liked the swirls NuFinish leaves (one reason I had hoped I had said goodbye to this phase of car maintenance), so this time I decided to try a three-step process with products that got consistently good reviews on this forum.

The job took about eight hours total, broken down as follows:

* Cleaning--two hours (I used a washcloth for rubbing, with spray water to act as a lubricant. I also used paper towels with naphtha to spot-treat stubborn stains from tar and tree sap. I didn't quite get everything and wound up having to polish some stuff out and re-polish some areas where a first application of polish smeared tar and oil-infused dirt on clean paint. If I ever do this again, I may try a clay bar, as suggested by Signmaster and others)

* Washing--half an hour (DIY brushless car wash with spot-free rinse, as usual)

* Polishing--three and a half hours (I used Meguiar's Ultimate Polish, dry washcloths as applicators, and Walmart's bargain-basement microfibers for wiping)

* Waxing--two hours (I used Collinite 845, again with washcloths and Walmart microfibers; my thanks go to OldNuc for recommending Collinite's insulator waxes in a long-ago thread dealing with detailing)

It rained on the car just as I finished, and the rainwater resolved into tight little beads on every single panel, so I felt I had done well. But it was a very long afternoon in a dingy garage with the door kept open so I could check gloss and hazing under ambient light. (One of two overhead lights had burned out, and I had a replacement bulb, but no ladder to install it. I had also neglected to bring a droplight so I could carry it with me for detailed inspection of hard-to-see paint.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to J N Winkler's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help J N Winkler reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
J N Winkler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 05:09 AM   #4330
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

2000 SL2
1998 SC2

J N - you sound like me. I also take a ton of time & detail to the max. I use a trouble light or LED light to go over every spot to ensure all haze, even in the cracks, are gone.

When I did the Red Hot a few days ago, I even waxed the door jambs.

'00 SL2. "Creampuff" 89 YO lady car. 20 oil changes 1st 33k miles. Now 85k.

'98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot". 5-Speed. $1600

'01 SL2 BIL's 10th Anniversary Edition

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Pitcher's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Pitcher reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 12:44 PM   #4331
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

None of this was planned, but. . .

got an email notification Saturday, that the local U Pull It yard was running half off over the weekend. So, I spent Sunday morning at the yard. Found: two crystal clear headlamps ($25 for both, with all bulbs except one corner), aluminum cam/valve cover ($5), seat bottom ($4), rain gutter/trim ($0), interior pull handles (2/$2, car came with two rear broken interior handles above the door), RKE fob in perfect condition ($0), tail lamp ($8, with all bulbs)

Monday afternoon, installed all parts except programming the RKE fob and the aluminum cover (needs to be washed and painted; might end up on the SC2 as my SL2 has no indication of leaking)

The tail lamp fixed an issue - I noticed that when I hit the brakes, my odometer dimmed, and my two front corner turn signal/marker lights lit up. Search indicated it could be a bulb or ground issue. I previously dutifully pulled and confirmed each bulb except one, which I could not get out - but I dropped and cracked the plastic lamp housing when removing it

and I'll end up paying for the time I spent the last couple days by being up late tonight, studying

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
12/2008 silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 176k
7/2010 white Craigslist 1997 SC2 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #4332
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Too late to edit, forgot I had pictures. Headlamps weren't bad, but the new ones are crystal clear, look new, and make a big difference in the amount of light. True test will be tonight, should be dark before I get home from class.

First two pics are "before" - showing what was replaced.

Next two pics show new headlamps and the old.

Last pic is what I picked up, in front of the gas cans - aluminum cover is in the bags. forgot, I also picked up a leather brake handle, $0, which I have not installed yet (not sure it will fit, it was from a 3rd gen). I showed them all the parts, they just don't always feel like charging for small parts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1413.jpg (48.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1414.jpg (51.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1415.jpg (52.5 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1416.jpg (58.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1411.jpg (60.8 KB, 14 views)

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction?
12/2008 silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 176k
7/2010 white Craigslist 1997 SC2 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:23 PM   #4333
Nekomimi
Nekomimi is on a distinguished road

1996 SL1

Found out that the rear passenger door sil under the kick plate had swollen a bit with rust. So Sprayed a bunch of rustoleum in there, should do the trick...

'96 SL1 Originally the family car, passed on to me as my first. "Hellcat" 170,000+ miles and purring smooth.
My Mug is filled with the lost souls of crushed imports. . .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Nekomimi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Nekomimi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Nekomimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 11:12 PM   #4334
mattwithcats
mattwithcats is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Got a set of A/C recharge hoses and added 3 ounces R134A (PAG?) oil to the system. Can had 1 ounce gas in it, rest was oil.

http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/16888788?&veh=mweb

This is a one time thing, too much oil system drowns. Compressor was making a little noise, and was dragging motor down a little...

A/C was cold, but taking a long time to get cold, this will help.

Seals will also swell a little, keep from drying out.

Marked under hood oil was added...

2002 Silver SL2, manual, 5th gear swap (.605), 75,000 miles, black badges,
205/60R15 "H" rated tires, 5mm spacers on the aft...
Mobil 1 AFE 0W-30, Purolator PL20195...

Last edited by mattwithcats; 05-27-2015 at 11:17 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattwithcats's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattwithcats reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattwithcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:09 PM   #4335
robb_sc2
robb_sc2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Too late to edit, forgot I had pictures. Headlamps weren't bad, but the new ones are crystal clear, look new, and make a big difference in the amount of light. True test will be tonight, should be dark before I get home from class.

First two pics are "before" - showing what was replaced.

Next two pics show new headlamps and the old.

Last pic is what I picked up, in front of the gas cans - aluminum cover is in the bags. forgot, I also picked up a leather brake handle, $0, which I have not installed yet (not sure it will fit, it was from a 3rd gen). I showed them all the parts, they just don't always feel like charging for small parts.
i spy with my eye a shiiny red Porsche? 944?

Gold 1999 SC2 ~360k Kms

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robb_sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robb_sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robb_sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 12:23 AM   #4336
NWSaturn247
Advanced Member
NWSaturn247 is on a distinguished road

1993 SL2

Checked the oil. The Chemtool flush seems to have made some progress on the pistons. I will not update the oil usage until I have used a full quart of top-off but it's looking fairly promising at this point. Kreen would have more immediate results but B12 is crazy cheap in comparison.

Took a picture of my automagic in the Fred Meyer parking lot. 3 more years to special plates

1993 SL2 AT - 128k mi
running Mobil 1 TDT + Fram PH3614

:-) Adding TC-W3/MMO to the gas with positive results (-:
Choose the red pill

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to NWSaturn247's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help NWSaturn247 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote